what does this error mean?

Well the reason to use the local hack is to force the application to use the local DLL, if you try the local hack with the original lomac DLL in the LOMAC root dir, and then get the version name of the DLL when the app crashes we can see whether or not the local hack is indeed working (i.e. should be 6.10.9844.0).

I'm from the original cambridge, UK :)

The error shows the version of XP. But like I said I can't get the local hack to work.

If I follow the exact steps as provided by coldcrew, I launch the game, get the point entery errors and click okay, BUT... I then get an "Runtime error", "Abnormal program termination" message which no other XP SP2 user here seems to get. When you click okay to this error, the game shutsdown back to the desktop. How did you keep the app from shutting down, and continue to load the game?

Well it seems the hack does work then, but the private dll is out of date and dosn't have the correct interfaces for the game to function. Can't really help you much further i'm afraid, although i'm quite certain it's a problem that ED have created for themselves. The module contains interfaces to do all kinds of basic things in MFC apps.

Ok. Do you set the affinity of LockOn to single core useage? LOMAC doesnt like dual cores very much. Thats my first impression right there. Ill have more along the way. I also notice your playing 1280x1024...is this the same in game with lomac?

Hey Hitman. I've never done that before and I'm not even sure how to set affinity...??? I actualy play the game NOT full screen and I set to 1280x980 so my windows task bar can fit on the screen. If I play full screen then sometimes I have to hit the reset button on crashes. When I'm not in full screen mode, I can access the task manager and terminate when needed; it saves time...

Setting affinity is done in the taskmanager. Right click on the toolbar and set LockOn to run on a single core. Its affinity your looking for, it will ask you to set it cpu0 or cpu1. One or the other will work. What everyone does, though, is set everything windows, joysticks and trackIr stuff on one core, and put lomac on the other core. If your running Vista, this will be a little difficult, although Ive managed to do it before installing FC. Problem with this is that you have to do this every time you launch the app or restart your computer.

Which leads me to ask the community this: is there a way to make an affinity profile to where I dont have to reset everything to the core I want it to run on every time I reboot?

Edit: damn ur fast.

Kuky,

At this point I'm convinced... it is indeed a hardware problem. As we know, it almost always is. I running the game dual core again, and (I'm not sure why I didn't try this two weeks ago) I tested with absolutely no errors if I use LOW graghic settings. I'm currently going through a process of elimination by changing each setting, one by one from the lowest back to the highest and monitor GPU / CPU temperature, and CPU / mem utilization, blah... Btw, my HW is all stock configuration. No mods, No OC.

I'll keep ya'll posted. It might take a while because I want to get some actual gaming in for a change...

:pilotfly:

er... could it just be that this is hardware problem... overheating os something of that sort. If you say you get to run the game and it crashed after 3 hours.. I think that has to be hardware issue, or simply unstable system. Are you overclocking the CPU, RAM or something like that?

• 9 months later...

*bump*

Sorry for bumping this thread, but did you find the solution to this problem yet? I'm having the same problems as Carlitoboy. I doubt it's a hardware problem since i'm playing really demanding games like Supreme Commander, World in Conflict, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Battlefield 2 and they run quite well on my machine.

specs:

AMD Athlon x2 3800+

Asus M2N4-SLI

2048 GB DDR2 RAM

Club3D GeForce 7950 GX2 1024 MB RAM

Western Digital SATA II 250GB

Creative Audigy

Windows XP Pro SP2 latest patches e/a

Running Lock On 1.2 (but this error also occured with 1.0, that's why i patched LO).

I've tested the low settings. it seemed to work, so i was really happy flying around in my warthog, but it just crashed on me. Again.

Hardware issues can closely resemble software issues as well. In my experience it is about 50/50 on which side the problem may come down on. This makes trouble shooting difficult of course. First ask yourself Is the system is stable running other graphically intensive games/sims? If the system exhibits this only with LockOn it may be software only. If the system is normally some times unstable with other programs/Sims/Games I suggest you start by eliminating hardware issues as a possibility.

Some suggestions:

Download and install the Latest Motherboard BIOS (if qualified to do and new bios applicable), Latest chipset drivers, All latest updates for OS, Latest version of DirectX, latest WHQL certified Video, Sound Card Drivers.

Other Suggestions if above fails:

Heat issues? Use Bios or manufacturer recomended MB monitor to check for MB, CPU, NB overheat. http://motherboard-monitor.en.softonic.com/

Clean/replace any thing dust clogged or broken. Ensure good airflow.

Bad/FaultyMemory? Memtest86 is a thorough, stand alone memory test for x86 architecture computers. http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

5 Passes minimum. RMA/replace any bad or defective modules.

Faulty/malfunctioning Video Card? Rthdribl is a "Real-time High Dynamic Range Image-Based Lighting" http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/index.html

Use to Test for DX driver issues/crashes/overheating video. Run while monitoring Vid card temps. Let reach max temps then let it go for an hour or so.

This can expose bad cooling/mem/faulty components on the card quite easily as it really pushes it hard.

Out

Heat issues: No

Good airflow: Yes

Bad memory: No

Bad videocard: No

BIOS Update: Latest revision

New drivers: Yes

DirectX: 9.0c (reinstall for Call of Duty 4)

My system is stable, it runs most games/sims on high or highest settings. And this error occurs on any setting in LO. Resolution is at 1280*1024, but i went as far down as 800*600 with lowest and highest settings and everything in between.

Also, voltages are stable, and on the off chance that the MB temperature sensor(s) give false readings i have a temperature sensor inside the case.

So my guess is that it's an software problem, not a hardware one.

If you have not run the specific utilties/benchmarks I have posted then I would run them any way to double check. Memtest and rithdribl often expose hardware issues quickly in cases where other programs will not.

If you are certain it is a software issue and you have not yet resolved it consider a fresh format and reinstall as a last resort.

Out

I did a fresh reinstall of XP. It did not solve the problem. A reinstall was needed anyway, so i'm not too upset about that. It looks more like a hardware problem now to me. But i ordered LO Gold, hoping that will solve the problem. And last night i did a Memtest run, after 7 hours it did not show any errors. This night i'll give rithdribl a go.

AMD Athlon X2 6400+ | MSI GeForce 8800GT (OC) | 2048 GB Corsair DDR2 XMS2 | Creative Audigy | Western Digital 250 GB SATA | Windows XP Professional SP2 | BenQ FP767-12 17" LCD | Logitech Mx500 | Logitech G15 | Logitech (don't laugh) Wireless Freedom 2.4

I can't find the problem, i placed an extra fan in my case, removed all non necessary hardware step by step, and made sure my onboard sound card was disabled. That didn't help. Replaced msvcrt.dll with the one from the C:\Windows\System32 and one i downloaded. That also didn't help. And i tried to move the LO version of msvcrt.dll to a folder in the LO root called 'LockOn.exe.local'. This gives me a runtime error on startup, just like the one i get with the 'LockOn.exe.local' file in the LO root.

So i guess i'll have to live with Wings over Europe when i want to fly a A-10 :(

AMD Athlon X2 6400+ | MSI GeForce 8800GT (OC) | 2048 GB Corsair DDR2 XMS2 | Creative Audigy | Western Digital 250 GB SATA | Windows XP Professional SP2 | BenQ FP767-12 17" LCD | Logitech Mx500 | Logitech G15 | Logitech (don't laugh) Wireless Freedom 2.4