Overheating GPU Trouble with DCS

I seem to have a lot of crashes in DCS due to graphics card failures. They might be due to overheating and indeed turning my GPU fans up solves the problem. I had this trouble with a single EVGA GTX 780Ti 2GB and my current 980s. Anyone else have this problem?

I'm told that temps of 55-60C are normal for these cards but my last failure happened at about 58C. With a good fan setting I can keep the temp below 50C and everything runs fine. Is there some reason DCS might be more sensitive to high temps than other games?

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

lol if you are having problems with a 980 running digital combat simulator, something is seriously wrong with your graphics card and i would return it tomorrow. Either that or your trolling~

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

6 Monitors, 5 Video Cards, 90inch Flat Screen, Intel Bad Ass 2 @ 72.6Ghz, Atari Hotas!!!

lol if you are having problems with a 980 running digital combat simulator, something is seriously wrong with your graphics card and i would return it tomorrow. Either that or your trolling~

No seriously. I had this same problem with a GTX 780Ti and solved it the same way. I think the EVGA cards don't run their fans unless you enable it in PrecisionX. When I enabled auto fan curves there the crashes stopped.

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

the temp is very ok, my old gtx 480 runs at 90 without any failure. something may be wrong with your entire system, may not be the gpu's problem

The last time I ran DCS the machine shut off like the power plug had been pulled out of the wall.

No seriously. I had this same problem with a GTX 780Ti and solved it the same way. I think the EVGA cards don't run their fans unless you enable it in PrecisionX. When I enabled auto fan curves there the crashes stopped.

Your fan should be running, otherwise the gpu would melt before your pc completed booting.

60°C shouldn't be a problem at all, gpu's are designed to handle nearly 2x that or ~115°C before anything really serious should happen.

I haven't used Nvidia for years so you might need it for some functions but if not, I would get rid of all the extra software and let the driver do it's thing. They are pretty reliable.

I would also be looking at the psu as mentioned above, I once had a 1kw Antec play up that manifested itself in video errors.

Edited by AussieFX

BAD POWER SUPPLY

Or it isn't big enough..

What kind do you have, what size and how old is it?

It's an 850W Corsair, three years old. That's the first time I've seen that happen. The other crashes are just a frozen screen. The mission quits but DCS keeps running.

Edited by SharpeXB

Definitely the card runs very well with this auto fan control enabled. I don't think the fan comes on at all without this set here in Precision X. With this curve the temp never gets above 50C, I think it was using 80% of a single GPU or 40% of each on SLI with DCS on all maxed settings. It actually runs better on one GPU and doesn't get as hot.

The fan can be set to manual or auto, but if you don't choose one it doesn't run. On both the 780 and 980 this is what stopped them from crashing. I had a particular mission that would crash every time within a few minutes of starting. As soon as I enabled the auto fan setting it was fine.

EVGACapture.JPG.64e8bcf7eadb7063da66658d0e3ef04f.JPG

Edited by SharpeXB

That's strange for sure, I'm running SLI 970's on a 850 watt Corsair with no problems, but like outlawal2 says, it does sound like PSU issues from the description.

As far as the fans go, unless you set it in Precision X like you have, the fans do not turn on until the card hits 60 degrees. New silent fan bios on the EVGA cards.

My temps while running DCS are around 70, but I use a curve similar to yours while gaming to keep it there.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

If it was solved by turning fans on, ie. more power it's unlikely to be a psu problem. What is the problem with running it with fans on?

Ahhhhh. Simple Logic what a wonderful way of thinking. I agreed and was going to suggest the same. Fan turned up, Problem goes away. No need to look further than there.

Another User found good results by turning off "Dual Monitors" in the NVidia control panel.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

If it was solved by turning fans on, ie. more power it's unlikely to be a psu problem. What is the problem with running it with fans on?

Actually no problem running it with the fans on at all.

With 2 980's I would suggest Liquid cooling, the bottom card is finding it hard to breath, I should think.

Are the GPU's over clocked? If so turn them down a bit to find a stable setting. Lot's of users have found that needed to get a stable DX9 Program to work.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.