Assign Throttle to mousewheel

Hello,

i have an apparently uncommon "HOTAS" setup (for e.g. il-2 46), i use my joystick on the right hand and the mouse on the left managing view controls and the mousewheel as throttle. It is in my opinion the best option there is, if you are like me not a fan of headtracking.

Now the problem is that in DCS i cant map MOUSE_Z as throttle. It only works as view zoom axis. So is there any way to get this to work?

And pls no "get trackir and a real throttle":)

Use AutoHotKey (AHK) to create a small script which turns mwheelup and mwheeldown to two key combinations you don't need for anything else in DCS. E.g. mwheelup > CTRL + ALT + Pg Up, mwheeldown > CTRL + ALT + Pg Dn. Then go into DCS and bind this two combinations to both throttles up/down.

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory

What kind of mouse do you have? Does it have some sort of profiling software? If so, you could map scroll wheel up to whatever key combo it is for throttle up and vice versa for throttle down.

If not, you could look at autohotkey and try something similar with a script.

Looks like JayPee beat me to it =)

Thanks for the fast answers!

So... i dont know why but Autohotkey does not work in my DCS. I made a script, which actually works (in the editor, in il-2 and warthunder) but in DCS it just doesn't do anyting. I also tried the usual stuff (running as administrator, etc.).

So there is no way to map the controls from inside the sim? Or with some lua scripting?

You need to make sure you use the proper way of implementing the script in an application. Not every game requires the same method. DCS requires SendMode Input.

Make sure the first two lines of the script are:

SendMode Input

#SingleInstance Ignore

PS - I do wonder how you are going to turn your dials and stuff if you block your mwheel to use it as a throttle.

Edited by JayPee

Do you use a regular mouse or do you use a mouse with more buttons? I use one that has 9 buttons besides the three regular ones and the wheel.

If I wanted to, I could assign two of my buttons to increase and decrease the throttle.

If you do assign the throttle to the mouse wheel, what are you going to do about the zoom, since you control the view with the mouse as well? You feel that you don't need it?

regular mouse (because lefthander),

in il-2 i use the right mouse button for a preset zoom and to get out of zoom again.

to Jaypee: i thought you can use knobs by holding left button and dragging

Edited by tschangoo

i tried now alot of stuff. But why are there only a few preset controls to which you can map mousebuttons. Or am i doing something wrong. Can you change that? For example by changing something in the lua files, because somewhere it must be defined, if a control is not greyed out for mouse control or not.

Edited by tschangoo

Can you verify in Windows (notepad for example) that mwheelup and mwheeldown do indeed give the NumPlus and NumMinus input?

You can indeed use the left mouse to turn the knobs but 'ticking' them up and down with the wheel is more convenient imho.

EDIT:

Make sure you download AHK from http://ahkscript.org/ and not from http://www.autohotkey.com/

The latter is the old site (with the old version of AHK)

Edited by JayPee

Can you verify in Windows (notepad for example) that mwheelup and mwheeldown do indeed give the NumPlus and NumMinus input?

It does, i also tried multiplying it so that it gives for example 20 times +.

It just does not work in DCS

I'm sorry, it must be something you are doing wrong... Are you sure you are trying to bind a KEYBOARD key in DCS? Not a MOUSE or JOYSTICK key/button?

Are you sure you are trying to bind a KEYBOARD key in DCS? Not a MOUSE or JOYSTICK key/button?

What do you mean?

I tried it in Il-2 1946 (openGL) and it works (with multiplying the key i can even set the sensitivity). I also tried it in falcon bms and it did not work at all just like in DCS.