DCS-BIOS Discussion Thread

FSFIan

AOA Indexer in Viper

Hello all,

The AOA_INDEX_BRT_KNB actually controls the AR Status Indicator Dimming Lever (which is actually the title pf this control), however, there is no actual AOA index brightness knob control in the reference - any ideas?

Best.

Hello,

Quick question to get DCS-BIOS to Autostart with DCS...

Is there a way I can manually configure DCS-BIOS to autostart (by creating or editing a file somewhere)?

I have DCS installed in a non-standard folder, -AND- I have my Users folder on another drive (didn't want it on my primary SSD). I was able to get the DCS-BIOS Virtual Cockpit connection to work by manually adding the line to the Export.lua file.

When I try checking "Autostart DCS-BIOS" in the web setup, I get the message,

"error: profile directory does not exist, please start and exit DCS and try again: C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\Saved Games\DCS"

The actual path is:

E:\BackMeUp\Users\[uSERNAME]\Saved Games\DCS

There must be a symbolic link for the C:\Users folder, because if I type a path of C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\Saved Games\DCS into Windows Explorer's address bar, it finds the DCS folder in the E drive.

Thanks,

--Doug

Heys, new to DCS-BIOS and was hoping for some help.

How do i know what value i should use for servo pulse positions numbers?

I made an arduino program that sends specific pulse times to the servo. If you hook up a pot to vary it, and an LCD to display it, you can adjust the pot until the needle gets to the 0 and max points and record the numbers.

You can use the servo.h library and "servo.writeMicroseconds(uS)" to send us values rather than the default degrees.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/ServoWriteMicroseconds

awesome mate, cheers.

ive never had to connect an LCD, so that will be fun to learn :)

How do i connect the POT to the gauge?

And the next question is, would it be best to have the aircraft in the cold state or aircraft running?

and do we add that sketch you've written to the dcs-bios sketch?

awesome mate, cheers.

ive never had to connect an LCD, so that will be fun to learn :)

How do i connect the POT to the gauge?

And the next question is, would it be best to have the aircraft in the cold state or aircraft running?

and do we add that sketch you've written to the dcs-bios sketch?

Make a completely separate program that's only job is to output servo pulses microseconds

Use an analogue input to connect the pot.

Connect the gauge servo directly to that program. It's completely separate. The idea is for this program to provide the "end stop" numbers you put into your DCS BIOS programs.

I found this for controlling the servo,

// Controlling a servo position using a potentiometer (variable resistor)

// by Michal Rinott <http://people.interaction-ivrea.it/m.rinott>

#include <Servo.h>

Servo myservo; // create servo object to control a servo

int potpin = 0; // analog pin used to connect the potentiometer

int val; // variable to read the value from the analog pin

void setup()

{

myservo.attach(9); // attaches the servo on pin 9 to the servo object

}

void loop()

{

val = analogRead(potpin); // reads the value of the

// potentiometer (value between

// 0 and 1023)

val = map(val, 0, 1023, 0, 179); // scale it to use it with

// the servo (value between 0 and

// 180)

myservo.write(val); // sets the servo position according

// to the scaled value

delay(15); // waits for the servo to get there

}

I've underscored changes here.

#include <Servo.h>
void setup()
{
}
void loop()
{
// 0 and 1023)
val = map(val, 0, 1023, [u]500,2500[/u]); // scale it to use it with
// the servo (value between [u]500 and[/u]
// [u]2500 microseconds[/u])
[u]myservo.writeMicroseconds[/u](val); // sets the servo position according
// to the scaled value

[u]// Insert LCD output code here to send "val"
// Alternatively, use the arduino's serial routines to send it to the PC via USB and the IDE's serial monitor[/u]

}

Make sure the pot is centred BEFORE powering this up, as the set end stops are likely to be outside the range of your servo.

sorry to ask so many questions, very new at the whole Arduino thing.

so im not sure how i proceed with adding more code to a sketch

You need to "mix" new code in, rather than just add it on.

Some bits, like variable and library definitions need to go at the beginning.

Some bits, such as serial port or LCD start code need to go in the setup() routine.

Then it becomes "wild west" time. ;)

If you have a section of code (like the LCD display routine I added below) you can add that at the end, then call it in another function or the main loop.

the big question is do i just add that to the bottom of the code you cave me?

Add the setup lines at the top of the code, then use the lcd.print etc. lines where appropriate in the main loop.

Something like this (using the code you posted and I modified):

#include <Servo.h>

[u]// Include the LCD library:
#include <LiquidCrystal.h>
// Create an LCD object. Parameters: (RS, E, D4, D5, D6, D7):
LiquidCrystal lcd = LiquidCrystal(2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7);[/u]

void setup()
{

[u]  // Specify the LCD's number of columns and rows. Change to (20, 4) for a 20x4 LCD:
 lcd.begin(16, 2);[/u]
}
void loop()
{
// 0 and 1023)
val = map(val, 0, 1023, 500,2500); // scale it to use it with
// the servo (value between 500 and
// 2500 microseconds)
myservo.writeMicroseconds(val); // sets the servo position according
// to the scaled value

[u]// This calls the LCD output code
lcdOutput();[/u]

}

[u]void lcdOutput(){

// This code shows the val variable on the LCD.
// It right- justifies the number so that it shouldn't jump about too much if it gets glitchy

// Set the cursor on the first column and the first row, counting starts at 0:
  lcd.setCursor(0,0);
 lcd.print("Output:  "); // Clear the line
 if (val >= 1000){
   lcd.setCursor(8,1); // Set cursor for 4-digit us number 
   }
 else{
     lcd.setCursor(9,1);// Set cursor for 3-digit us number
   }

lcd.print(val);
 lcd.print("us  "); 
}
[/u]

The extra bits are underscored again.

Don't forget to make sure the LCD pins match the definition line. Either change the definition line or your wiring.

ONE CAVEAT: I have not tested this code. It looks like it should work, But I don't have the ability to run it right now.

I could post mine, but it uses a 20x4 I2C display and a rotary encoder, so it'd not be much use to you.

Edited by No1sonuk

Hi guys: I don't know if this proper thread to reach out for guidance but, here it goes. I'm new to DCS-Bios and, I've got a problem loading the latest version. I received my new TekCreations F18 UFC last month and, as instructed, I downloaded DCS-Bios and configured it accordingly. Everything was working perfectly. However, after loading the latest DCS update, it all went to hell in a handbasket. TC support has been really responsive but, I when I checked on my DCS-Bios config I found I could no longer access the DCS-Bios Hub to verify my plugins and connection (see attached screen snip). I could really use some help to get this program back up and running.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

584965133_DCSBIOSCallup.PNG.e8869c8da993f42b8461945d4325e4eb.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

F-14 remote display

Good evening guys. I have this information about a display I need to read from F-14B and use dcs bios and Arduino to display it on a 7 segment.

My question is, what would be the code to read the value and convert this to string variable in arduino? (I can later convert that to integer, I know how to do that) It is not in DCS bios.

Thanks

PLT_UHF_REMOTE_DISP - PILOT UHF ARC-159 Radio Remote , UHF 1 , exported as string

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can someone help, very new to DCS-BIOS and after installation the program doesn't pick up my main install to allow me to choose modules for installing plugins. It finds my savegames folder but the main install is not there (It's on a seperate drive). Is this going to be an issue?

New to this, but determined to get it to work!!! I purchased three Arduino Uno boards to use for controlling my cockpit LEDs in my F/A-18C cockpit build. I have been following the tutorial from "whartsell" and things were going good. I had my COM3 port stuck in 'connecting' on the DCS BIOS Interface, but have that working and connected. When I was setting up my EOS Bus (Helios Profile Editor/Profile/Open/FA-18C_V3.0b/Add Interface/EOS Bus) I received the following error (photo included). Why did it happen and how do I correct it? I don't have the A-10 module and trying to get things working with an LED (Master Caution) connected to pin 13 and a push button (Master Caution Reset) connected to pin 10, all using the parts contained in the Arduino Workshop Kit purchased with the Uno. Once I get these two working, I should be able to get the LEDs wired up, connected and working. Any and ALL help will be greatly appreciated. Please go slow with step by step instructions as I am learning this on the fly. I am going to try the Add Interface without the FA-18C_V3.0b step and see what happens, or is this where I am going wrong? I will keep HERE advised on what happens. I have also included the Sketch that I uploaded to the Arduino Uno.

Thanks Again,

Wayne

A.K.A hrnet940

e53bf07ac578c2be0d960723652ccd45.thumb.jpg.1b9cc1e2802e04c01aeddc424851777d.jpg

5f75bd0974c45450fc1d31013e8c1ad8.jpg.a167939316cc1254c8d702690e58bd5a.jpg

Wayne Wilson

AKA: hrnet940

Alienware Aurora R3, i7 3820 3.5GHz(4.2GHz setting) processor, EVGA Nvidia RTX 2070 8GB Graphics, 16GB Ram, 1TB SSD.

I was getting a grey screen for Main Instrument Panel when using Helios, but fixed that. I found this (photo attached) sketch that I am using and it 'verify' correctly, but it won't upload. Is this a good sketch to use after I get my COM3 issue fixed? New to this and pulling at strings until something works. I am also watching this video (

) to help me get things figured out.

Thanks,

Wayne

776fe857126fe7622d4faf60015f3c2d.jpg.fb1831b5366f451581d441f61f5e3d91.jpg

Wayne Wilson

Alienware Aurora R3, i7 3820 3.5GHz(4.2GHz setting) processor, EVGA Nvidia RTX 2070 8GB Graphics, 16GB Ram, 1TB SSD.

I clicked a few things and hoped in the F/A-18C for a Free Flight flight and the MASTER CAUTION button was moving when I pushed it. I ended that flight and went to Cold and Dark on the ramp and both the MASTER CAUTION LED and reset switch followed the sim and worked when they should have. My next question is "How do I know what sketch they are following?" I tried a few different ones and modified those after adding the AOA LEDs and they are not working with the LIGHT TEST switch in the cockpit, but the MASTER CAUTION is still working. Patiently waiting ....

Thanks,

Wayne

Wayne Wilson