DCS-BIOS Discussion Thread

FSFIan

Hope someone can help - I'm trying to get DCS Flight Panels working with the MiG-15 but the switch panel buttons using DCS BIOS are having no effect, I have a couple of other DCS modules which work fine, so I'm not sure whether the issue is with DCS BIOS or DCS Flight Panels.

DCS Flight Panels v3.6.22.6421

Let me know if there's anything I can test to help resolve this?

Intel Core i9 9900K 5.0GHz · Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER · Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO · Alienware 34" AW3418DW · Corsair 2TB M.2 NVMe · 64Gb Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · TM HOTAS Warthog · VPC ACE-2 Rudder Pedals · VPC V.F.X Grip · VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip · Virpil WarBRD base · HP Reverb Pro · 3x TM MFD · Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC · 2x LG Throttle Quadrants · LG Switch Panel · LG Multi Panel · LG Radio Panel · Buttkicker Gamer & JetSeat

Nick Jennings

Ok, so a little more info, I've run the Chrome viewer app and while it is detecting the current value of a switch in DCS it isn't able to change the switch value from the Chrome app or DCS Flight Panels.

Intel Core i9 9900K 5.0GHz · Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER · Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO · Alienware 34" AW3418DW · Corsair 2TB M.2 NVMe · 64Gb Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · TM HOTAS Warthog · VPC ACE-2 Rudder Pedals · VPC V.F.X Grip · VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip · Virpil WarBRD base · HP Reverb Pro · 3x TM MFD · Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC · 2x LG Throttle Quadrants · LG Switch Panel · LG Multi Panel · LG Radio Panel · Buttkicker Gamer & JetSeat

Nick Jennings

Guys, for the purposes of testing items like gauges and LED's that are to be commanded by DCS Bios, is possible to make a console where the desired gauge or LED output can be synthesised to a and output? For example, if I want to test that a particular warning light of the CWP for the A10, you ask it to output what the game would do to test your hardware.

For gauges it would also be useful for calibration or movement

Is that possible?

Cheers

Les

Hi Les,

this is exactly what DCS Bios "Control Reference" does when DCS runs in the background.

For indications the status is feedbacked by the 0 and 1.

The same logic is implemented for switches and their corresponding position numbers.

Gauges hand's position is represented by a value between 0 to 65535.

pic01.jpg.fa10ba028ac860c88777829caabc3465.jpg

pic02.jpg.6f36acf3d22b5cf6476054f496287b5c.jpg

Regards, Vinc

real life: Royal Bavarian Airforce

online: VJS-GermanKnights.de

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I didn't realise that that was available! As I use a different PC to do all the sketches, then go and test them by going over to the sim rig, I was using the old control reference page here

http://dcs-bios.a10c.de/docs/v0.5.1/control-reference.html

I assume that for the new one to work it have to be installed on a PC that has DCS installed on it? I'm looking at it on this PC and you can only choose between Metadata Start and Metadata End, and none of the modules are visible.

I work off the sim rig as it is a royal pain to try and do any serious work while on it - it is purposed to be a sim rig so is not set up to use as a normal PC

Cheers

Les

Understand, you want to have the signals sent to a second computer and test your hardware just in time.

In the past there was an option to send DCS Bios signals over local network and receive them by an arduino ethernet shield, but I didn't know if that option still exists.

Regards, Vinc

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have a case of where DCSBIOS is installed as well as DCS Open Beta non steam. With the latest V10 DCSBIOS, in the DCS Connection is has only picked up the standard install. Can anybody help out with how I can get the Open beta install to be picked up as well?

"Lead me, follow me, or get the hell out of my way" (Gen. George Patton)

https://www.tekcreations.space

Good morning folks.

I love the updates to DCS-BIOS! couple of bugs i think. The RWR Power button, is coded as a 2Pos Switch. However when you connect that to a push button, you of course get a 1 and then a 0 indicating button pressed and released. The response in the cockpit from both F18 and f16 is the RWR power goes on.. then immediately off.

DcsBios::Switch2Pos rwrPowerBtn("RWR_POWER_BTN", A5);

DcsBios::Switch2Pos rwrPwrBtn("RWR_PWR_BTN", A5);

It does seem to be limited specifically to just those buttons in the game, the other push buttons seem to work ok. I currently have 5 hooked up. Master Modes AA and AG, Master Caution Reset, LIST (UFC/VIPER) and Jettison (HORNET).

Look forward to the response.

Thanks, keep up the awesome work on this mod!

I just ran into same problem as I'm building my F-18 RWR control panel and decided to do a forum search for help. Have you (or anyone) found a solution to this? In the meantime what I have done to make it more usable is added ",true" after the pin number to reverse the input of the button, so in a sense it's always on and can't turn the RWR off. I figured that once you turn on the RWR who cares if you can't turn it back off! At least for the time being, would love for this to be addresses.

Wondering if it's something we can get into the LUA and play around with and maybe fix ourselves? I'm not terribly savvy with DCS-BIOS library customizations, but willing to learn.

--EDIT--

So I think I've found where this problem originated... I just noticed the "DISPLAY" button (immediately to the left of the "ON" button) behaves the way the "ON" button should be behaving. So the "DISPLAY" button latches in the pushed and held position where as the "ON" button behaves as a momentary pushed on button. These two need to be reversed. Anyone know how to do that? I'll start looking at the LUA and report back if I figure it out.

—-EDIT NUMERO DOS —-

Ok, I might just be a pit builder noob but maybe the problem here isn’t with DCS-BIOS and it’s with buttons. I noticed as I’m working on a Station Select for Jettison that I’m getting the same behavior... a momentary press when it should be latched. Hmm, maybe I shouldn’t be using momentary push buttons and need to use a physical locking/latching push button!? I’m hoping that’s my issue because i just ordered some from amazon. Can anybody confirm if my logic is improving here? And to my second edit- I can’t confirm that the Display butting is behaving incorrectly, please

disregard.

Edited by Sickdog
Discovered issue with "DISPLAY" button, might be related...

TM Warthog, Oculus Rift, Win10...

Might be a weird question, but what is the main difference between the OG DCS-BIOS (assume the account with the same name on Github is from the original creator) and the fork from DCSFlightPanels folks, which should be used these days?

I see them both are being updated very regularly, so i am not sure which one to use. Although the 0.10 from the DCS-BIOS account seems to be okay

Working on updates...

Understand, you want to have the signals sent to a second computer and test your hardware just in time.

In the past there was an option to send DCS Bios signals over local network and receive them by an arduino ethernet shield, but I didn't know if that option still exists.

Had a go with this on my rig, and it's cool, but maybe not what I wanted. I want the option to be able to check a box, or put a number in a box so that either a command takes place (eg light a particular warning lamp) or a gauge output commands so that the gauge will move to the relevant position.

That way, you can check that the particular light goes on when it's supposed to, and you can also check the zero, 100% and mid positions of a gauge, so that you can enter the right ranges in the Bios sketch.

Anyway, it's still very good!

Cheers

Les

Hi Les,

a while ago there was the DCS-BIOS Debug Tool discussed here in a thread.

It would have been a good start for exactly that what you (and other builders) want.

Unfortunately the development seems to be stopped.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=217428

Regards, Vinc

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS BIOS Setup and Connection (Newbie)

Firstly Good morning, secondly, thank you for taking the time to read this. As a complete newbie to DCS Bios and Arduino Im struggling to get my head around what you guys must look on as a very basic issue. I have trawled the net and many forums to find my answers but to no avail. I have followed instructions as supplied in the DCS Bios handbook but not making much progress.

In a nutshell, I cannot seem to connect to DCS. As in Pic 1

My first question therefore is why does the table not show (as in pic 2)?

Is it because my DCS install directory is not on my 'C' drive (it's on my 'S' SSD drive). Also, to preserve space on my C drive, my 'Saved Games' folder is also on the 'S' drive.

My COMM port is open correctly and the Arduino IDE communicates with the Mega 2560 Controller Board without issues.

Finally, if someone could point me in the general direction for yet again, basic help to install the Chrome Extension, as I cant find the location of the 'unpacked' file to load.

If I have posted these very basic questions in the wrong place or forum, please accept my apologies and Admin, move it to a more relevant place. Thank you and to anyone who answers, thank you in anticipation as Im really struggling with these basic steps. Cheers

DCSNotConnected.thumb.png.05d2b10811dea45b695b61626941cbb3.png

757839069_DCSConnected.png.838bd1677824ff8ee096bb65c3b55e8d.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to get an Arduino FA-18 panel working that I purchased but I'm also having the same problem as Electriflier with the installation, the table isn't showing on the webpage and adding the suggested code to the Export.lua in Saved Games doesn't work either? Any suggestions?

EDIT: Managed to get it working in the end, I had a couple of conflicts - one with DCS Flight Panels and the other was another Arduino based switch box.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.8386ba1697304942a102c5395fb254a9.jpg

Edited by jalfrezi

Nick Jennings

Not connectign

HI ..

I had the same problem of DCS Bios not connecting. I had moved my saved games folder to my other SSD drive (same one DCS is installed on). When I moved my saved games folder back onto the C: drive everything works fine.

Hope this helps ...

So, I've been going through some trouble with DCS-BIOS not connecting to DCS World as well. Even tried backlogging through older versions to no avail.

I did though find a solution.

It seems DCS-BIOS doesn't pickup on the dcs.openbeta folder structure, and only sees release version folders.

So to fix this. Install the Release version from DCS website (Don't downgrade through the updater) and then afterwards update to openbeta if that's your jam (But who am I kidding, who even use release ;) (JK))

This methods maintains the release version folder structure while running an openbeta build.

Hope this works out for others as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Specs: i7 9700K, 32GB RAM, RTX 2080ti, 1TB nVME, 27"@ 2560x1440, Rift S

Controls: WT Hotas, MFG Crosswinds, DIY FreeTrack

• 3 weeks later...

I have just started tinkering with DCS BIOS and Arduino. My first project is the gear panel for the F16C.

I have followed the instructions, but whenever I try to to program the gear handle with its built in LED I get the following message:

/* use '#define DCSBIOS_DEFAULT_SERIAL' instead if your Arduino board

* does not feature an ATMega328 or ATMega2650 controller.

*/

#define DCSBIOS_IRQ_SERIAL

#include "DcsBios.h"

DcsBios::LED lightGearL(0x4478, 0x0040, 8);

DcsBios::LED lightGearN(0x4478, 0x0020, 9);

DcsBios::LED lightGearR(0x4478, 0x0080, 10);

DcsBios::Switch2Pos gearHandle("GEAR_HANDLE", 3);

DcsBios::LED gearHandle(0x441c, 0x4000, 13);

void setup() {

DcsBios::setup();

}

void loop() {

DcsBios::loop();

}

-------------------------------------------------------

conflicting declaration "DcsBios::LED gearHandle

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I used the copy paste function from DCS Bios ... it seems like it does not like the gearHandle declaration. But it is the same for other aircraft types. Soo.. it must be pilot error.. or what?

Edited by VampireOne

[sIGPIC]If you are still under control you are not going fast enough[/sIGPIC]

Well. That occurred to me as well. But will it work as the hear handle LED in DDC then?

Is there an error in the DCS BIOS Control reference then? I see the same duplication in the gear system of the F5E...

Sendt fra min SM-G975F med Tapatalk

Edited by VampireOne

[sIGPIC]If you are still under control you are not going fast enough[/sIGPIC]

Both of these declarations are called "gearhandle". Change the name of one of them.

I think I’m going to get into the habit of using prefix codes like back when I was a programmer lol. It would help with identifying its function in my mind when bug testing. For instance just add “LED_xyz” for LED, “2PS_xyz” for 2 position switch etc.

Most professional coders do this... but usually to show what type of variable it is, like integer or floating point etc. I just ended up adding prefixes (or suffixes) to remind me what I was coding in the end of my career because my memory was going by that point. :(