Not Another Pitch Ladder Question

illuzian

Hi Guys,

I'm having a bit of confusion as to why my pitch ladder is off center.

As far as I can tell the aircraft is not drifting or sliding as the slip indicator is pretty much centered, in fact if I adjust for the slight lift drift the ladder goes off even more.

I have EGI and EAC enabled.

I know it's supposed to indicate wind but with the amount it's off to the side I would of thought I would have something more going on with the slip indicator?

This is really killing me because in quite a few instances my targeting reticules are pretty much at the edge or completely off screen requiring me to slide trackir off to the side to see them.

I've researched it a bit on this forum and from what I understood this shouldn't be this bad so I don't really get it.

E98v3dg.jpg

DCS Dream Wishlist: 1. Better VR Performance/Performance Overall 2. Dynamic Campaign, 3. Fully Modelled: F16, F18, F14, F15, AH64, AH1, MI24, SU27, MIG29, EF Typhoon 4. Better ATC

What would have really helped that picture is if you had the CDU repeater showing the Steer Info page so we can see how much wind you're experiencing.

You can confirm its wind by flying into or away from the wind and that should centre the pitch ladder and TVV.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

Okay, I'll fire it up next time and check but I was under the impression that at that level of wind with the TVV that far off the slip indicator would be out? I likely don't understand something fundamental though.

Not at my gaming rig but the mission I was flying was the Free Flight Ramp Start, not sure what the mission windspeed is though.

DCS Dream Wishlist: 1. Better VR Performance/Performance Overall 2. Dynamic Campaign, 3. Fully Modelled: F16, F18, F14, F15, AH64, AH1, MI24, SU27, MIG29, EF Typhoon 4. Better ATC

The slip indicator will not show you the wind drift. It only shows the effects of acceleration, like the wind gusts in turbulent weather, but if you're flying in a mass of air that moves at constant speed, then the lateral acceleration is 0 and the ball rests at the centre.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

The slip indicator will not show you the wind drift. It only shows the effects of acceleration, like the wind gusts in turbulent weather, but if you're flying in a mass of air that moves at constant speed, then the lateral acceleration is 0 and the ball rests at the centre.

Thanks, makes sense. In this type of situation should I be adjusting with rudder? Are there any other instruments I should be looking at apart from the CDU?

No, just point the aircraft so that it flies where you want it.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

No, just point the aircraft so that it flies where you want it.

Groovy, what about getting the CCRP and CCIP reticules to be more visible? Is that even possible?

Not that I'm aware of. Best thing I think would be to take note of the wind direction in the CDU and attack into the wind if possible.

Shame there isnt a switch to center the hud like in the F-16.

i5 4590 @ 3.77GHz | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 1TB HDD+500GB HDD | Win10 Home X64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for all the help guys, seems like the best option Ripper, the more you know though!

Basically wind drift does not create sideslip, which is why your ball is centred. Using Rudder to correct this only slips the aircraft then which isn't correct.

If this truly is wind doing it to you then you need to take it into account when attacking. Dropping free fall munitions into a cross wind strong enough to put your TVV off your HUD is going to be problematic anyway. If the impact point in a dive is off your HUD view then there's simply no way to compensate for that. Centring the HUD as in the F-16 would make CCIP useless then.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

A-10C Pitch Ladder is caged to FPM. FPM is on your left edge of HUD because there is right to left cross wind. Run in your target doing 8s, going down wind or upwind to avoid crosswind, ladder and FPM drift due wind and yourself crabbing.

Alternatively, you may notice that in Super Hornet you can uncage ladder from FPM(VV) and cage it to HUD center using HOTAS. My claim is based on simulator VRS F/A-18E, as there you can cage ladder to HUD or to FPM by flight manual and Super Hornet HOTAS layout.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Thanks, makes sense. In this type of situation should I be adjusting with rudder? Are there any other instruments I should be looking at apart from the CDU?

If you move your nose away from the wind to center the TVV, you will need to move the stick into the wind to stop the turn, dropping a wing, crossing the controls and setting the plane in a forward slip, which is an inefficient way of flying.

You were doing just fine.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks everyone! Appreciate the info and hopefully it goes to making a more enjoyable sim experience for me!