Next aircraft speculation

Farlander

I thought the same thing back in April :):

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2372564&postcount=216

However, some new clues have arrived that is pushing me away from the F-5E (besides the Belsimtek label on the F-5E in Wags' module manager) - though it still matches better than most aircraft proposed on this thread.

The clues that don't match the F-5E (not well at least) are:

1. Ground Mapping and Targeting Radar (there are reports of an upgrade to the F-5E that included these features, but no evidence that it happened or reports of operational aircraft with the upgrade - would have been a very small minority of operational aircraft and not include the modern F-5N).

2. Far more complex avionic and computer systems than in the MiG-21 (reference to F-14?, F-5E doesn't have terribly complex avionics - though perhaps complex compared to the MiG-21)

3. New and unique PFM features and aerodynamic configurations (Viggen is a delta with canards - pretty novel for it's time. The F-5E is very conventional. F-14 matches this in some ways).

4. New or unique methods of propulsion or force distribution (This sounds like the Viggen's thrust reversers - nothing on an F-14 or F-5E matches this).

Anyway, since I need to qualify all my comments...:music_whistling:

Still could be the F-5E, that would feel quite left field after all the talk around here, but certainly could happen.

I'd be happy with either.

-Nick

LNS and F-5 ... that could really make some sense. Adding to all the technical cues, have you guys ever heared Wags to just _hint_ and _tease_ about one of their aircraft? Given the ED/BST information policy the last months, he, erm, well, behaves here rather odd, doesn't he? ;o)

His teasing rather fits to what we are used to see from LNS. I would not be surprised if LNS asked Wags to drop a hint or two "LNS style"! :o)

And regarding F-5 and BST - we saw that the module was listed as BST product in one vid in the module manager. But consider this: it is easier to grab a module (file and directory structure) and throw out all original stuff and fill in the new code than to start from scratch every time. So it can be that the "BST" was just a mere leftover from this cleanup. I have seen this elsewhere already as well.

Now, while writing this and thus convincing myself: the maybe best part of my theory is, that we will not only get a great F-5, but also BST can work on their Cobra and Hind in parallel as well!

edit:

(semi-)sniped ... sigh. Must. type. faster...

Edited by Flagrum
aircrafts? aircraft! aircraft aircraft AIRCRAFT!

I'm not sure what that is, but I see machine guns! I want it!

Edit:

I found the rest of it! Very interesting looking little bird! The gun pod rocks though!

The Saab J21 was originally propeller aircraft that was in some ways unique for its time. The first one in the Swedish Airforce to have a nose wheel and also featured a catapult chair (since the pilot might get hurt by the rear mounted propeller). Unfortunately there was never any patent for the catapult design… but that’s another story.

During 1945 there was a decision to jump on the jet train, and the J-21 was chosen as a test platform for this and some aircrafts were fitted with De Havilland Gobling engines and the model was then named J-21R (R is for the Swedish word “reaktionsmotor” = jetengine).

This conversion demanded a lot of modifications however and the first test flight was in 1947 and 1949 real units was delivered.

LNS and F-5 ... that could really make some sense. Adding to all the technical cues, have you guys ever heared Wags to just _hint_ and _tease_ about one of their aircraft? Given the ED/BST information policy the last months, he, erm, well, behaves here rather odd, doesn't he? ;o)

His teasing rather fits to what we are used to see from LNS. I would not be surprised if LNS asked Wags to drop a hint or two "LNS style"! :o)

And regarding F-5 and BST - we saw that the module was listed as BST product in one vid in the module manager. But consider this: it is easier to grab a module (file and directory structure) and throw out all original stuff and fill in the new code than to start from scratch every time. So it can be that the "BST" was just a mere leftover from this cleanup. I have seen this elsewhere already as well.

Yes, the LNS uses Belsimtek items to start working on a new module and then they made an alpha version of the module and gave it to ED for validation, but for some reason couldn't find time to edit the old name.

Unless it's a joke, why all these assumptions based on other improbable assumptions? Without any other information, the simplest option is the most probable one and Belsimtek are doing the F-5E. There is currently absolutely no reason to doubt that.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Yes, the LNS uses Belsimtek items to start working on a new module and then made an alpha version of the module and gave it to ED for validation, but for some reason couldn't find time to edit the old name.

Unless it's a joke, why all these assumptions based on other assumptions? Without any other information, the simplest option is the most probable one and Belsimtek is doing the F-5E. There is currently absolutely no reason to doubt that.

Indeed. Occam's Razor seems to apply here.

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

Shouldn't we be getting an announcement today regarding one of the other two aircraft they have in development?

According to their September mini update post, Cobra said they were going to tell us about the first of these two aircraft during the month of September, and the second sometime in October.

Now if my PC calendar is correct.....it's the last day of September today :D

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Shouldn't we be getting an announcement today regarding one of the other two aircraft they have in development?

According to their September mini update post, Cobra said they were going to tell us about the first of these two aircraft during the month of September, and the second sometime in October.

Now if my PC calendar is correct.....it's the last day of September today :D

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2486565&postcount=1206

I guess it got buried pretty quickly, but the update is a little further off than expected...

We're veering a little off topic. smile.gif

An update to the update of the update- our hopeful estimate to reveal in September may have been slightly optimistic. (Sorry for this, again!)

Not only has regular development been taking a massive chunk of time, MiG-21 1.5 has been requiring a lot of attention.

Sincere apologies for a disappointing end to September, but we're working a lot of OT to ensure we come out of the gate swinging.

In short, absolutely not - we will announce projected release dates together with the aircraft, and we still plan on releasing product(s) this year.

I understand that you are upset - and I would be too. I've been on the other side of this exchange for many years before becoming a developer myself.

I will continue to try to be better at managing expectations from now on.

Normally I wouldn't try to fuel your anger by appearing defensive - but I feel it's important to at least give a basic impression of why something seemingly as simple as a product announcement can be delayed.

The F-14 was unique in the way for us that it was announced because we likely will never announce a product in a similar way again.

It was early, consisted only of renders and a press release. The reasons for doing so were primarily to ensure that we would not be quiet for such an incredibly long period of time.

That would suck for you and it would honestly suck for us too. Trust me, it's hard not to immediately share work that you're proud of.

That said, you only have one chance to make a first impression. On the team, we only have one developer with the skillset to produce marketing content required for a product reveal (e.g. trailer, website, artwork, animations, etc.)- and that would be me. However, I am also responsible for a large amount of textures (e.g. all cockpit textures and many exteriors), modelling, audio, support, leadership and management tasks.

I hope it's quickly becoming clear how difficult it can be to meet all of our development milestones while producing a huge amount of marketing content at the same time.

Many marketing items take a long time to create. E.g. the MiG-21 launch trailer probably took around 20-30 hours of filming and editing.

I hope that offers some clarity into why we don't just "say what it is" and move on.

You're here because you enjoy the quality we put into our work.

We do not want to compromise that in anything we do - even something as seemingly simple as a product announcement.

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Thanks guy's.......

I have missed all those posts as they do get swallowed up fairly quickly in a long thread.

Thanks for the quotes Python. Quality answers and explanations, as always, from Cobra there.

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

You're welcome, they should probably be put on page one given how fast a popular thread like this moves.

Agreed. :thumbup:

Indeed. Occam's Razor seems to apply here.

Yes it does.

However, in support of my fellow forum member who asked the question - it is possible, just not likely (as in unlikely that LNS has anything to do with the F-5E). As my first post on the issue stated.

I'm not a fan of the assumptive close. :)

I like to keep other possibilities in mind till there are official statements.

Best,

Nick

Does the Tu-22m have any kind of New or unique methods of propulsion or force distribution?

I'm trying to think of a russian aircraft that fits in to the hints...

"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese

"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4

"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV

i5-4430 at 3.00GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 FE, Windows 7 x64

While we drift off topic to wishful thinking...

Of all the swing wing airplanes I think I would prefer the Lancer over everything else but the F14. Still, wishful thinking won't make the Su-24 appear magically out of Leatherneck's pocket :)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

You guys are all wrong. Especially that Cobra guy... :noexpression:

This is what Leatherneck are working on!

No promise..

The Yak-15! A jet with a tailweel!?

yakovlev_yak15_09.jpg

And the La-176 believed to be the first soviet aircraft to break:megalol: mach 1.

Lavochkin-La-176-2.jpg

la176-6.jpg

HighFlight-SovietMach1-7.jpg

This is my dream... well... not really.. please bring all soviet aircraft :D

Although these two has to be my favorites ;)

EDIT: if you did not get it when i said

first soviet aircraft to break:megalol: mach 1
then please go and read about the La-176 ;)
Edited by Farlander
  • Like 1

CX5Ua28.jpg

:D

Don't play with my feelings like that!

Yak-38 is rubbish

TOVARISCH YOU UNDERESTIMATE EFFECTIVENESS OF YAKOVLEV 38

tumblr_inline_noml3wtGB61rlhtha_500.gif

YAKOVLEV 38 DEMONSTRATES DEFENSIVE ABILITIES. IT PERFORM SOMERSAULT INTO BALL OF FIRE.

WOULD YOU PURSUE INTO BALL OF FIRE? NO? YAKOVLEV 38 DEFENSIVE STRATEGY IS SUCCESSFUL.

• Like 1

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Tu-22M? Not one bit. Standard turbofans, variable-sweep wings and variable-ramp intakes. Nothing all that noteworthy.

Hmm. well it was worth a try :) Its looking like it gonna be a viggen, which would be pretty cool!

"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese

"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4

"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV

i5-4430 at 3.00GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 FE, Windows 7 x64