included theater discussion

remi

I really really hope it's not Miramar!!!! Useless map if so...we're getting Nellis so please give us a combat theater!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to see any map, i fly the F-14 in space, if some one do... RSRSRSRSRSRSR

Intel i7 7700K | ASUS MAXIMUN IX Hero | GSkill RBG 3000mhz 32G(4x8G) | MSI Trio 1080ti | 1x M.2 SSD Samsung 960PRO 512G | 1 x WesterDigital 4T | Corsair AX-850W | Monitor Alienware 34" aw3418dw | Oblisidian 800D |CORSAIR H80 | Teclado Logitech G15 |Mouse Razer DeathAdder Elite | Trackir 5 + Clip pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Pedal MFG Crosswind

I dont think they make a new map.

I think we can choose which of the new maps we get free( NTTR, Strait of Homuz etc)

Would make sence ;)

No. They're making their own. From the newsletter ...

The primary purpose of the establishment of our new, permanent studio is theatre development and everything therein.

Theatre development requires a vast amount of content, especially if the theatre is set in a location or era not related to any currently available and developed location.

While our theatre development plans are still in the early phases, considerable progress is being made. I just used the word theatre a lot.

In particular, we have been conducting a lot of research on various topics. E.g. how to utilize various tools to enhance lower fidelity DEM data, or various texture baking techniques and how hand-sculpted terrain assets can be integrated into a DEM base. By leveraging the power of EDGE, we can follow in Eagle's footsteps and try to really push the boundaries.

While plans may change, we currently hope to bundle two small theatres for free with both of the aircraft we're planning to release this year.

Both theatres are significantly different from each other and will require the construction of a lot of content that can be re-used down the line.

A lot of content...

It could be that we'll get Miramar, and a chunk of North Africa/Med coast. The first would give Leatherneck's map makers the opportunity to cut their teeth on a city scape/densely populated area and a modern base with all the bells and whistles, and the Libyan zone would lend itself nicely to desert, dunes, salt water and carrier ops.

I can't see why they'd choose to extend a ED produced theatre because I am sure their approaches and details would be rather different.

Of course, the Baltic is sort of between Sweden and Poland, so who knows, maybe there will be a hypothetical cold war turns hot situation?

Unless of course there is going to be a lot of emphasis on historic encounters between MiG-21s and F-14s, in which case, having seen the Iranian "documentary" on the F-14s in the Iran-Iraq war, maybe Khark Island, or some other hotspot in that region?

It would also negate the need for carrier ops on the initial release, and one less complication. It might also be the reason they have chosen the third contender, which may be a MiG that featured heavily in that region at that time too?

Just a thought.

Is there a diagram somewhere showing the bounds of the NTTR map? All I've seen is 600x600km ish.

Yes there is. This is an image posted by Wags. I took the liberty to transpose the borders onto Google Earth, and Highlighted the airbases that Should be included, but aren't. As you can see, there are countless civilian airports inside of these borders, but I believe only McCarran International will be modeled. In the ED image Red dots are Military, Blue dot are the Civi airports. None of these "Dots" are slated to be modeled. -Woog

975749976_NTTR-MapWithAirports.thumb.jpg.07149b647920120383c658f58769f7a8.jpg

1811686410_NTTRGE.thumb.jpg.cf7fb64bb9d93541ddd54dd063be11d4.jpg

Edited by Woogey

Is Edwards AFB on the map? No, right?

Edit: no it's not.

The Area where Edwards is located is on the map. However, the base will not be modeled. A pity, since it is one of the most important, Historically significant airbases of all time!

But back to my Theory NAS Fallon. Here is a great set of action shots taken at Fallon, with a heavy dose of Tomcat Glory!

http://tvrphoto.photoshelter.com/search?I_DSC=Fallon%20Naval%20Air%20Station%20NAS&_ACT=search&I_DSC_AND=t

Edited by Woogey
Add Info

helpfulness

Thanks for this. I had hoped the southwestern corner might dip into the Pacific so we could fly off a CVN, but it looks like Lake Mead will have to be home to a carrier. I guess the Area 51 residents helped to move it there.

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

My vote is for GIUK. There's not a whole lot of urban sprawl in Iceland, it's fairly small but contested, and would allow for either attack, defense, or fleet on fleet operations for both red and blue sides.

That said, if they do Fallon, they should model the Bird Farm. If you have to eject, you might as well come down where they have quarter beer and nickel Black Jack. :D

PhotoGraphic Airfields

You know, as I sit here and think about the Lack of auxiliary airfields in the NTTR map, I wonder: How hard would it be to include all these others as a Flat featureless, High Res Photo? You could include every one of the Airbases, AND civilian airfields without having to model them. Just a photo base placed exactly where it should be. This would leave room for further expansion at a later date, and also give modders a canvas for object placement. I hope this is not an original thought. I am excited to see what E.D. brings us. But more importantly, What Leatherneck is able to accomplish in the Map department. -Woog

How hard would it be to include all these others as a Flat featureless, High Res Photo?
On the Black Sea map, some extra nonfunctional airfields are included as just a runway with nothing else. I frequently use the one near Kobuleti for target practice. Placing just a runway at an airport location is probably orders of magnitude easier than setting up buildings, taxiways, parking spaces, ATC, and anything else that is required for a functional air base in DCS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]