Leatherneck Simulations Monthly Update - Februamarch 2015

Cobra847

They've already stated one of the two expected releases this year is a modern plane. So assuming that it is the F-14(and most stuff points to that) it would be a this year release barring setbacks...

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They've already stated one of the two expected releases this year is a modern plane. So assuming that it is the F-14(and most stuff points to that) it would be a this year release barring setbacks...

With the amount of Tomcat teasing, it is fairly easy to say one of the aircraft released this year with be the F-14.

My guess is the 3rd project which they won't announce on Monday will be the one using the ground radar. It probably will require the most work moving forward, so they aren't shooting for 2015 release.

That said, I can wait for my SU-24, or A-6, or F-111 :)

With the amount of Tomcat teasing, it is fairly easy to say one of the aircraft released this year with be the F-14.

My guess is the 3rd project which they won't announce on Monday will be the one using the ground radar. It probably will require the most work moving forward, so they aren't shooting for 2015 release.

That said, I can wait for my SU-24, or A-6, or F-111 :)

That would be awesome!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

I wouldn't read too much into the pics they've been releasing as part of banners and backgrounds. If you go off of those, they are making a P-38, F6F, F-4U, F-4 and a dozen other things I've forgotten. The only thing they've really hinted at is the F-14 and I doubt it will be the F-14D. I could be wrong of course, but it seems unlikely. So until Monday/Tuesday when we get the official announcement, my speculatometer is reading F-14A+ for 2015, unknown 2015 release and unknown 2016 release with A2G radar.

Leatherneck Simulations Monthly Update - Februamarch 2015

If some of this speculation turns out to we true, I've gotta say that releasing a F-14 this year would be the most impressive feat I've seen achieved in DCS. ED would look pretty silly getting lapped in the F-18C development like that (assuming it doesn't come first), but I highly doubt anyone will complain about that!

It's good, as always, to see continued positive growth at LNS.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Does anybody have any info or links regarding Ground radar modes for the F-14D?

My understanding was it just utilised the LTS pods when conducting ground attack?

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

In this moment I dont regret to buy the mig-21 when released!!

Seems like they improve their skills!! :)

F-15 is getting boring waiting for tomcat and mirage in 2015.

And maybe EDGE.

i7 2600k -- Noctua NH-D14--Asrock Z75 Pro3--ASUS GTX970 Strix --16Go Ripjaws X 1333--Thermaltake Smart M650--CoolerMaster Silencio 652S--AOC E2752VQ-- Sandisk Extreme II 480GB--Saitek X-52 Pro --SAITEK PZ35 Pedals

My understanding was it just utilised the LTS pods when conducting ground attack?

Here's a link: http://fas.org/man/gao/gao9512.htm it says F-14Ds have synthetic aperture ground mapping radar with the new APG-71.

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Ok so that makes sense. It is feasible that the ground mapping radar under development is for the F-14D.

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

I would say if they are not developing an air to ground radar for the tomcat the intruder would be my next guess.

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

Man if it turns out to be the Tomcat and Intruder it would be amazing!

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Wasn't the tomcat also able to use the lantrin pods which had some kind of a ground mapping radar?

Low Altitude Navigation and Targeting Infra Red for Night- LANTIRN

Its a FLIR with a laser targeting capability.

The F-14D's APG-71 Radar has the capability for ground mapping and possibly ground attack modes similar to the APG-70 of the F-15E although I cannot verify what modes were actually used... if any.

https://books.google.com/books?id=l-DzknmTgDUC&pg=PA214&lpg=PA214&dq=APG-71+multi+mode+Radar&source=bl&ots=2tcOCYqbHo&sig=0rcwPkB7qJQQKHyvlfB2-SMQthI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=roTzVPa0D4PxoAS1zoK4Cg&ved=0CFsQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=APG-71%20multi%20mode%20Radar&f=false

The APG-71 Radar, AAQ-14 LANTIRN 40k, AAS-42 IRST and AXX-1 TCS combined with a dedicated RIO to operate the systems will make the F-14D Super Tommy a very tough nut to crack in the DCS skies. I will be happy with any variant of the Tomcat though.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

Wasn't the tomcat also able to use the lantrin pods which had some kind of a ground mapping radar?

The LANTIRN system actually features two pods, the targeting pod and a navigation pod with a FLIR (which projects the image directly on the HUD) and a terrain following radar. On the Tomcat only the targeting pod was integrated, since after the end of the Cold War, low altitude attacks became out of favor.

The LANTIRN system actually features two pods, the targeting pod and a navigation pod with a FLIR (which projects the image directly on the HUD) and a terrain following radar. On the Tomcat only the targeting pod was integrated, since after the end of the Cold War, low altitude attacks became out of favor.

True, a GPS was integrated into the Tomcats AAQ-14 as well to create the Lantirn Targeting System (LTS) which was a better system than the F-15E or F-16's had due to the pod being a self contained targeting system.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

First off – I'd like to sincerely apologize on the behalf of the team for the issues experienced by a significant amount of you with the rollout of the 1.2.15 patch.

WT*.......it took me less than 2 minutes to use the repair function. No big deal. You are doing an awsome job, guys. Things like this can happen. For me no reason to excuse.

Very nice update. Looking forward to your modules (and theatres) this year. If it will be at the same level as your MiG........dreams come true, no matter what kind of aircraft you are developing!!

• Like 1

Has the AV-8 Harrier been lost as a possibility in this discussion? Considering the work or playing around Novak (Dolphin887) has done with the AFM to simulate V/STOL I am willing to bet that 1 of the 3 will be the Harrier! :D

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals