How to contact tower?

uboats

I've figured out the operations for ADF/NDB. But don't know where to tune the freq for tower comm.

Anybody knows?

I created a kneeboard mod for mig-15bis ATC list (also included NDB list)

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=139775

2.jpg?1425112304199617

Edited by uboats

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

Oh, I have a feeling this will be a veeery common question here... Anyway, the quick way to tune the comm radio is to bring up the kneeboard, and on the default page you'll see the current frequencies of the receiver and transmitter. Tune with LCTRL + R and LSHIFT + R, or the knob on the left side panel. I'll try to put together a better tutorial tomorrow unless someone beats me to it. The RSI-6K is just wonderfully complex and unusual :).

Edited by lmp

Oh, I have a feeling this will be a veeery common question here... Anyway, the quick way to tune the comm radio is to bring up the kneeboard, and on the default page you'll see the current frequencies of the receiver and transmitter. Tune with LCTRL + R and LSHIFT + R, or the knob on the left side panel. I'll try to put together a better tutorial tomorrow unless someone beats me to it. The RSI-6K is just wonderfully complex and unusual :).

thanks, RSI-6k is hard to be noticed. Then I can move forward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

I've figured out the operations for ADF/NDB. But don't know where to tune the freq for tower comm.

Anybody knows?

Hey Uboats,

Sure thing! I would love to help you out! :) In my video, at 53 seconds, I flip the switch you need to flip to turn on the radio. Find the video here: http://youtu.be/p55p7ECfYkU?list=UU7ATezx4GOhIIj9K5kxrDnQ For the Mig-15bis cold start mission, by default, the radio is set to the correct tower frequency, so you don't have to worry about adjusting the frequency. Once you flip that switch, you should be able to contact the tower, as per usual. If you did have to adjust the frequency, there is a dial, on the left hand side panel, that you can use to dial in the correct frequency for the tower you want to contact.

I hope I was helpful. Enjoy that wonderful Mig-15. She is so very lovely!

:thumbup: MJ

Ok, here's what I learned... Be warned though, I'll probably get something wrong, I'm no expert on the inner workings of radios nor the Russian language.

There are two things that set the RSI-6 radio apart in DCS - the odd naming of frequencies and the fact that you can tune the receiver, transmitter and antenna separately.

The frequency range of the RSI-6 is 3.750 MHz to 5.000 MHz, but you won't read that off any of the scales. Instead frequencies are referred to by their "fixed numbers" or "wave numbers", whatever that is. 3.750 MHz is called 150, 5.000 MHz is 200 and each "fixed number" is a 20 kHz increment. So frequency 151 is 3.775 MHz, 152 is 3.800 MHz and so on. There's a conversion table in the Russian manual available here on page 159.

Let's look at the RSI-6M1 receiver controls. There's a panel on the left side of the cockpit:

g2QnGHL.jpg

which has a tuning knob and a volume knob, and over your left shoulder you'll find the receiver frequency "fixed number" indicator:

7UAIxXv.jpg

You tune the receiver with the tuning knob and adjust the volume with the volume knob, no surprises here ;).

The transmitter is a little more tricky to use. Over your right shoulder you'll find this panel:

KSQWpcn.jpg

There are two tuning knobs - for the antenna and the transmitter. These should both be set to the same frequency. The best way to do this is to set the (left) transmitter knob to the desired number, and then manipulate the (right) antenna knob to "max out" the indicator needle.

Besides that there are two switches to lock the knobs in place. The reason why I marked them with a (?) on the pictures is I believe they may be mixed up. The manual says the right switch should lock the right knob and the left switch - the left knob, but in game it's reversed.

On the right side of the cockpit there's also a "forced mode" switch.

rs2iR9n.jpg

In the up position the transmitter will operate in "forced" mode, which will give it some extra range at the risk of damaging the electronics. It's not recommended to use this mode in normal operation.

Because tuning the radio is so complex and, well, a PITA if you need to do it in flight - since a lot of the controls are in the back of the cockpit - BST gave us a few options to streamline it:

1) if you don't lock the antenna and transmitter knobs (which you would normally do to protect them from accidentally moving due to aircraft vibrations), turning the receiver knob will also turn the other two.

2) on the kneebord you have a page which shows you the current position of the receiver and transmitter knobs in "fixed numbers" and in MHz.

I hope I didn't make any big mistakes in my description :). Feel free to correct it!

• Like 1

thanks for the tutorial lmp

I believe you are the first person on this forum who actually got my name right - it's LMP, not IMP ;). For some reason everybody calls me IMP. Not that I mind, I just think it's noteworthy to mention that ;).

Glad you're appreciating my little research.

I believe you are the first person on this forum who actually got my name right - it's LMP, not IMP ;). For some reason everybody calls me IMP. Not that I mind, I just think it's noteworthy to mention that ;).

can't download the ru ver. full manual. could you send me a dl link?

btw how can we know the tower freq for mig15, since the freq given by ME doesn't fall into 3.75-5MHz

Edited by uboats

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think it is necessary also push the Switch on the left Side from ARC to RSI6 Radio? Corrected me if I'm wrong!

BTW when you click on the Base in the ME you found the last Number to contact Tower is like 4,2 MHZ you to set in the MIG 4.200KHZ

Edited by MAD-MM

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

I think it is necessary also push the Switch on the left Side from ARC to RSI6 Radio? Corrected me if I'm wrong!

BTW when you click on the Base in the ME you found the last Number to contact Tower is like 4,2 MHZ you to set in the MIG 4.200KHZ

Great information on the RSI-6. I spent 3hrs last night unsuccessfully trying to get it to work. This will help get it running. Thanks very much for the detailed information!

I hope I was helpful. Enjoy that wonderful Mig-15. She is so very lovely!

:thumbup: MJ

Thanks,

this great, great info.

S!

Hi, I created a kneeboard mod for MiG-15bis ATC(wave number)/NDB list

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=139775

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's a conversion table in the Russian manual available here on page 159.

Hello IMP,

Super your tutorial, great work and thanks for your sharing.

Please can you tell me how finding the Russian manual from your link because impossible to read this manual, do you have other solution or idea ?

A great thanks in advance, Skull.

Hello IMP,

Super your tutorial, great work and thanks for your sharing.

Please can you tell me how finding the Russian manual from your link because impossible to read this manual, do you have other solution or idea ?

A great thanks in advance, Skull.

here: http://www.belsimtek.com/upload/docs/DCS_MiG-15bis_Flight_Manual_RU.pdf

@lmp

lol, you should be right that I could be the 1st ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No, this is not needed. The АРК position lets you listen to BOTH the radio and the ADF. In the ПРИЕМ position, you'll only hear the RSI-6. The RV10 switch in the MiG-21bis works the same way - for some reason people get that one wrong as well.

Maybe it can help some people if their radio doesn't work and use this environmental shader mod:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2331610&postcount=697

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello guys,

I've well understand the use of the left RSI-6 radio "receiver" , for Kutaisi the setting is 176 and I can talk with the ATC but about the right RSI-6 radio "transmitter" I'm not sure to have well understand the second device.

If I don't use the RSI-6 radio "transmitter" can I hear and talk the ATC ?

RSI-6 radio "receiver" it's just for receive any messages from ATC ?

RSI-6 radio "transmitter" it's just for transmit my messages to the ATC ?

So for Kutaisi, I must set 176 for the RSI-6 radio "receiver" and also set 176 for RSI-6 radio "transmitter", is it a good method ?

Please can help me to understand ?

A freat thanks in advance, Skull.

Skull,

All you have to do is turn on the radio and tune the Wave to the correct setting in the: RSI-6M1 receiver controls (see post #5 of this thread). The other devises will tune automatically to the same Wave number. You do not have to do anything else.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this thread as I got stuck there !

Will try asap :)

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X