If somebody is curious how warping and blending is done - timelapse

zahry

Awesome! How long did it take to set up? A lot more than just a couple hours judging by the sunrise... :)

It's actually 2 sunsets :-D. (I've been doing in spare time and in between phone calls and jobs - I've tried to do it in one hit but it's just not possible for me atm) according to the time stamps on photos it took me around hour and half - 1:40 of timelapse, photo each 5s, 10 fps on video = ~5000s = 83min for both profiles (if my math is correct :) )

This is quite interesting indeed. What software is used for this purpose and what is it's cost?
Thanks :-) The software is SimPitWarp - PC locked version is $290 from here - it supports multiple profiles and you can run up to 10 projectors on one license. I'll post link to 30 days free demo in day or two.

nice - I hadn't thought of the laser
best thing since sliced bread :-). That just reminded me - I have developed the new material for the LED projectors with low brightness - if you can still use it I'll send it over.

really cool and well priced software. i assume a locked pc license means u can only have installed on 1 pc at a time ? does it have limited installs to a license key for if i need to format ?

also what type of projectors are u using ? are they angled down from above to allow u to sit so close ?

cheers

shane.

really cool and well priced software. i assume a locked pc license means u can only have installed on 1 pc at a time ? does it have limited installs to a license key for if i need to format ?

also what type of projectors are u using ? are they angled down from above to allow u to sit so close ?

cheers

shane.

hi shane,

that's correct - The license is locked to one PC and it doesn't have a limited installs.

I'm using BenQ 1080ST and quite a few people are using Optomas GT1080. The projectors are little bit angled down and the ultra short throw projectors, geometry and design helps a bit as well.

Hey Zahry, what's your experience of focus with those short throw projectors and the curved screen? Seems like you'd be likely to have some or all of it out of focus in order to get any given vertical slice in focus, but it looks like it's not too visible in that context.

Hey Zahry, what's your experience of focus with those short throw projectors and the curved screen? Seems like you'd be likely to have some or all of it out of focus in order to get any given vertical slice in focus, but it looks like it's not too visible in that context.

No problem with this setup. I always focus on the center of the screen and the curvature is within tolerances for the focus and resolution. There is also little tweak in software that can be switched on but it's usually not necessary

Thanks for the heads up - Just checked and SimPitWarp is not registered to immersaview or listed anywhere on their website. - SimPitWarp, ImmersaView Warp or Warpalizer use warp in names but I don't think anybody will get confused.

If that's about software I'm happy to say Imersaview is excellent professional grade software with very advanced tools that will do fantastic job and I'll happily recommend it to everybody - but it is different product.

The video was to show how warping and blending is done and that it doesn't have to take whole day and require university degree - mostly setting up the projectors and warping and blending are unknowns everybody is concerned about when considering projection system. You can substitute the software for immersaview or nthusim and the Black Pearl surface will make it equally easy - this one was the one I had on hand at the time when I was filming so it's there

Edited by zahry

Wow. Nice. Want to come to the states and set one up? You know, as a demo to show people? :D J/K of course, but I think I'd like to eventually use a projector setup. I'm currently building version 2 of my pit, so when I get that done this is something I'd like to think about. Thanks for the quick vid.

Buttons aren't toys! :smilewink:

My new Version 2 Pit: MacFevre A-10C SimPit V2

My first pit thread: A-10C Simulator Pit "The TARDIS."

Dzus Fastener tutorial, on the inexpensive side: DIY Dzus Fastener

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hi Shane,

Thanks :) yup, locked to PC means it can be installed only on one PC at the time. It doesn't have a install limit but the prev license needs to be deactivated. The projectors I'm using are BenQ 1080ST, BenQ 1085ST and quite a number of people are using optomas 1080. It's mounted overhead, the short throw projectors are quite good these days