Tacview, the ACMI for DCS World – Official Thread

Vyrtuoz

Just now, senpaifuhu said:

I am trying to get rid of the 10 min delay on my dedicated server. 

in C:\Users\user\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta_server\Config\options

i got: 

but still i and other clients have the 10 min delay. 

also, when i tried to change these lines from what is was originally 
the entire options.lua would rewrite itself deleting most of it > server not starting properly. 
so atm the file is read-only. 

can anyone help me ?

Can you please share the dcs log of the server?

16 hours ago, senpaifuhu said:

Could you finde the problem ?

Thanks for sharing your log. Tacview does not seem to be installed on the server. In that case a 10-minute delay is the default.

To install Tacview on the server,

• re-run the installer while you are logged in mpens, OR
  • copy the contents C:\Program Files (x86)\Tacview\DCS\ (Mods and Scripts folder) into your %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta_server\ folder.
    • If you have other add-ons using the %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta_server\Scripts\Export.lua file, make sure you do not overwrite that file but just ensure that the following line appears in the file: 
      • local Tacviewlfs=require('lfs');dofile(Tacviewlfs.writedir()..'Scripts/TacviewGameExport.lua'

On 1/18/2021 at 12:19 PM, wraith70 said:

Please see attached screenshots.

I have IAS selected for both selected and unselected aircraft.  The IAS icon doesn't show for the Red.  Happens with both the JF-17 and Hornet.

Oddly, CAS and TAS will show, just not IAS.

Not sure if its a bug or if I'm doing something wrong.

-Wraith

Hi,

IAS comes from the cockpit so it will only be available for the piloted aircraft and then only if that value is available for that aircraft. If you are piloting the JF-17 or Hornet, check if it's available by looking at the Numeric Properties in the Raw Telemetry window. Here is a screenshot showing that it's available for the F-16 as you know. Or share your .acmi file with me and I will check for you.

EDIT: I just checked myself and IAS is available for JF-17 and Hornet but, as always, only if it is the piloted aircraft.

F-16 IAS.png

Edited by BuzyBee
typo
  • Thanks 1

On 1/31/2021 at 9:46 AM, Madfish said:

Hey, thanks for the info. Two questions:

1. Installing TacView 1.8.5 on the ded Server didn't auto-update the options.lua. Is that behavior intended / expected or an issue on my particular server only?
  2. Could the documentation on https://tacview.fandom.com/wiki/User_Guide_–_DCS_World be updated with more details - especially the section "Using Tacview with DCS World Dedicated Server"?
    For example:
    > Instead of just a mapping to GUI table a table with values expected to set up a certain behavior - for example when does it need 0/1 or true/false?
    > What effect does "tacviewBookmarkShortcut" have on a dedicated server with the value 0, 1 - or 2 as mentioned in your post above?
    > What effect would "tacviewRemoteControlEnabled" have on a dedicated server?

Thanks in advance for the support and the amazing product 🙂

Hi,

For a dedicated server, if there are already Tacview options in the options.lua and they need to be changed to different options, as in the case of anyone updating their dedicated server from Tacview 1.8.4 to Tacview 1.8.5, the installer will not make the update. You need to update them manually or delete the Tacview entry entirely and re-run the installer.

I plan to update the wiki entry on dedicated servers shortly.

tacviewBookmarkShortcut will have no effect on a dedicated server and neither will tacviewRemoteControlEnabled.

Actually, tacviewRemoteControlEnabled could possible be used on a dedicated server to trigger flags but I have not tried it: https://tacview.fandom.com/wiki/Remote_Control

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,  I was wondering how to keep the Lift Vector on the planes. I noticed that I see them on when I first started studying a BFM fight then it just disappears. How would I adjust that to stay on and have them show as long lines. 

thx!

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

On 2/13/2021 at 5:34 AM, Glow said:

You mean display directions? Bottom icon, the one between planes. You can turn on a .lua scripts to show you predicted fly patch and turn rate calculations too. I'm not sure are those not Adv version only.

yes the lift vector line from the top of the plane that shows the direction. It’s there when I first start a session but then after a few seconds it disappears.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

On 1/26/2021 at 2:12 PM, BuzyBee said:

Yes, use the star icon below the playback control bar to add a bookmark. I attached a screenshot to demonstrate.

Insert Bookmark.png

Can you please share your dcs.log of the server and the client?

Do you get an error message when trying to open a zip file? Can you please share an example of an zip file which Tacview will not open?

Here's my client log.

dcs.log

And here is my server log.  Thank  you for your help figuring this out.  

Regards,

Strong05

dcs.log

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

13 hours ago, Strong05 said:

Here's my client log.

dcs.log 62.89 kB · 0 downloads

And here is my server log.  Thank  you for your help figuring this out.  

Regards,

Strong05

dcs.log 898.67 kB · 0 downloads

Hi,

Looks like Tacview is not installed on the host. This would explain why you are getting the 10-minute delay no matter what you do - the delay applies on all servers where Tacview is not installed.

To install it, re-run the Tacview installer while logged in as the user "Sorta".

Alternatively, copy the contents of C:\Program Files (x86)\Tacview\DCS\ (Mods and Scripts folder) in your C:\Users\Sorta\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta_server\ folder.

If you have other add-ons using the C:\Users\Sorta\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta_server\Scripts\Export.lua file, be careful not to overwrite it - just make sure the Tacview line is in there:

local Tacviewlfs=require('lfs');dofile(Tacviewlfs.writedir()..'Scripts/TacviewGameExport.lua')

On 2/16/2021 at 3:18 PM, Strong05 said:

I copied the folder over a while back per one of your posts on here. 

What do you mean by install tacview while logged in?  Do you mean with the server running?

Make sure you are logged into Windows as "Sorta" and not as some other user on the same computer. I see another user "stron" in the client file. I don't know if that's two users on the same computer. It is the user "Sorta" who does not have Tacview installed.

1 hour ago, BuzyBee said:

Make sure you are logged into Windows as "Sorta" and not as some other user on the same computer. I see another user "stron" in the client file. I don't know if that's two users on the same computer. It is the user "Sorta" who does not have Tacview installed.

There is only one user on the computer, which is also the admin.  The user "Sorta" is the user name for DCS. 

I've already tried installing TACVIEW while logged in as the user/admin that runs tacview and DCS.  I've also copied over the folder per your instructions and tacview still isn't working on the server.

I had to add in some text/code to get Tacview to work on the client side the last time I installed it.  Could it be that something like that is also missing here?  

On 2/19/2021 at 12:26 PM, Strong05 said:

There is only one user on the computer, which is also the admin.  The user "Sorta" is the user name for DCS. 

I've already tried installing TACVIEW while logged in as the user/admin that runs tacview and DCS.  I've also copied over the folder per your instructions and tacview still isn't working on the server.

I had to add in some text/code to get Tacview to work on the client side the last time I installed it.  Could it be that something like that is also missing here?  

By looking closer at your logs I see that the server and the client are two separate computers. So make sure you are on the computer running the DCS server, logged in as the user Sorta, when you either re-run the installer or copy the files over. By the way, you do not need a license to install Tacview on the server.

Edited by BuzyBee

As previously stated, I have tried re-installing and moving the folder that you mentioned per your instructions, all of which is on the sever computer, logged in as the admin/Sorta, none of which has worked.   

Tacview works just fine on the client computer.

Are we certain there isn't some piece of code missing to hook tacview into running with the DCS server?  

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by Strong05

15 hours ago, Strong05 said:

As previously stated, I have tried re-installing and moving the folder that you mentioned per your instructions, all of which is on the sever computer, logged in as the admin/Sorta, none of which has worked.   

Tacview works just fine on the client computer.

Are we certain there isn't some piece of code missing to hook tacview into running with the DCS server?  

Thanks again for your help.

Sorry, it's just that according to my interpretation of the server log you provided, the files are not in the right place. Thank for your patience.

The missing piece of code you are thinking of is as follows:

In  the C:\Users\Sorta\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta_server\Scripts\Export.lua file, make sure the Tacview line is in there:

local Tacviewlfs=require('lfs');dofile(Tacviewlfs.writedir()..'Scripts/TacviewGameExport.lua')

Please check to see if these files\folders exist:

C:\Users\Sorta\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta_server\Scripts\TacviewGameExport.lua

C:\Users\Sorta\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta_server\Scripts\Hooks\TacviewGameGUI.lua

C:\Users\Sorta\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta_server\Mods\tech\Tacview\ (non-empty)

On 2/22/2021 at 10:14 PM, Aarnoman said:

Amy update on when LSO addon becomes available for Supercarrier in Tacview?

We had to put the LSO add-on on the back burner for now. We will definitely finish it in an upcoming release but I am not sure when.

Edited by BuzyBee
Corrected file path C:\Users\Sorta\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta_server\Hooks\TacviewGameGUI.lua to C:\Users\Sorta\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta_server\Scripts\Hooks\TacviewGameGUI.lua

Hello.

In older tacview versions I was able to generate tacview tracks by watching in-game multiplayer tracks in offline, after modifying options.lua and mission.lua for units to be visible and on the map.

In current version I can't get rid of the delay(which before was done in options.lua of the in-game track, there used to be a line called something like: "EnableTacviewDelay", which is not there anymore). So how do I get rid of the delay in tacview file generated while watching an in-game track?

P.S. Single player tracks work just fine. Problem is only with multiplayer tracks.

LOOK MA, NO HOOK

On 3/1/2021 at 8:43 AM, DackSter94 said:

Hello.

In older tacview versions I was able to generate tacview tracks by watching in-game multiplayer tracks in offline, after modifying options.lua and mission.lua for units to be visible and on the map.

In current version I can't get rid of the delay(which before was done in options.lua of the in-game track, there used to be a line called something like: "EnableTacviewDelay", which is not there anymore). So how do I get rid of the delay in tacview file generated while watching an in-game track?

P.S. Single player tracks work just fine. Problem is only with multiplayer tracks.

Hi,

In Tacview 1.8.5 and later, in order to allow no delay on a server, the server has to have Tacview installed on it with real-time telemetry enabled with no password.

That's the equivalent of the following in the options.lua:

["tacviewRealTimeTelemetryEnabled"] = true,           
["tacviewRealTimeTelemetryPassword"] = "",

If this doesn't help please share your log of the server

Hi, hope someone can give me a pointer as to where my problem may lie.

Although the DCS log shows Tacview starting and monitoring, it seems to see no objects to record, and discards an empty file after the mission.

Have reinstalled a few times but no luck -  this happens both on SP and MP missions.

Any clues?

dcs.log

On 3/4/2021 at 4:16 PM, BuzyBee said:

Hi,

In Tacview 1.8.5 and later, in order to allow no delay on a server, the server has to have Tacview installed on it with real-time telemetry enabled with no password.

That's the equivalent of the following in the options.lua:

["tacviewRealTimeTelemetryEnabled"] = true,           
["tacviewRealTimeTelemetryPassword"] = "",

If this doesn't help please share your log of the server

The problem seems to have solved itself, thanks anyway.

LOOK MA, NO HOOK

On 3/6/2021 at 9:17 AM, jingwe said:

Hi, hope someone can give me a pointer as to where my problem may lie.

Although the DCS log shows Tacview starting and monitoring, it seems to see no objects to record, and discards an empty file after the mission.

Have reinstalled a few times but no luck -  this happens both on SP and MP missions.

Any clues?

dcs.log 88.17 kB · 1 download

Hi,

In your C:\Users\Jingwe\Saved Games\DCS\Scripts\Export.lua file do you see the following line:

if it's not there can you please try adding it.

If you have a product key, I recommend updating to the latest beta, where we made improvements that have hopefully fixed this bug:

https://tacview.net/download/beta/