Tacview, the ACMI for DCS World – Official Thread

Vyrtuoz

Hi, after some time without flying the Mirage 2000 i did some simple training again yesterday. I noticed that if i watch a air to air fight in Tacview 1.4.3 and 1.5 Beta 3 Professional both missiles Matra Magic 2 and Matra Super 530D are showing only as Matra which makes it a little difficult to remember what missile i actually used in the mission. I think this is related to the new/own missiles from Razbam because if i play old Tacview files with the ED missiles labled Magic 2 and Super 530D the missile names are shown correct in Tacview.

I did a search in this thread but didn't find anything related to this "bug", but if it's already known just ignore my post. :D

Second this.

Tacview is displaying objects names as they are exported by DCS World. I have noticed the issue too and I will do my best to find a workaround.

That said, I think that you should both report this bug in Razbam's forum so they fix it for real. This will be much more reliable than any hack I can attempt on my side...

tacview-signature-512x128x24.png

Tacview is displaying objects names as they are exported by DCS World. I have noticed the issue too and I will do my best to find a workaround.

That said, I think that you should both report this bug in Razbam's forum so they fix it for real. This will be much more reliable than any hack I can attempt on my side...

Done.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

I did a search but didnt find anything on my issue.

Tacview doesn't see my my track files from open conflict server or any other multiplayer files

that are in that folder?????

i7 4770k @ 4.5, asus z-87 pro, strix GTX 980ti directcu3oc, 32gb Kingston hyperX 2133, philips 40" 4k monitor, hotas cougar\warthog, track ir 5, Oculus Rift

Tacview doesn't read track files. It creates its own files.

If the server at hand doesn't allow exports, then you have to replay the track in the game to get the ACMI file.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Open conflict does allow exports that's why i'm somewhat perplexed?

i7 4770k @ 4.5, asus z-87 pro, strix GTX 980ti directcu3oc, 32gb Kingston hyperX 2133, philips 40" 4k monitor, hotas cougar\warthog, track ir 5, Oculus Rift

Pipe,

Open Conflict authorize data export. If Tacview is properly installed, it should record all of your flights in your \My Documents\Tacview\ folder.

Remember that you are looking for *.acmi files, because Tacview cannot read track files.

Please have a look at the documentation http://tacview.strasoftware.com/documentation/dcs/ which explains all known cases with their solutions.

Tacview 10th Anniversary Sale: 60% off pro and home licenses!

Tacview 10th Anniversary Sale: 60% off pro and home licenses!

http://www.strasoftware.com/buy/tacview

It’s been already 10 years since the first public version of Tacview has been released!

Because this success is mainly due to your incredible support and feedback, let’s celebrate with an exceptional three-weeks sale from Jun 27th to Jul 18th: 60% off Home and Professional licenses.

Do not forget that you can also do a group order for an additional discount. This is the perfect occasion for your whole squadron to enjoy the online debriefing!

If you want to upgrade you Home edition to the Professional one, please send me an email with your name and current product key. I will return you a coupon to buy the upgrade at the reduced price.

747515513048182784.png

• 2 weeks later...

FIXES

• Bookmarks text were not saved in compressed binary acmi files
  • Dogfight mode was not taken into account while switching to satellite view
  • Unsupported acmi file formats were not properly reported as such since version 1.3.3
  • Fixed a rare crash when some data was displayed on distance charts
  • Multimedia keyboard keys like play or rewind were not working anymore

Can we get an option to disable multimedia keys ? :)

I like to listen to and control my music collection while going through my flights.

Or is the option there already and I missed it ?

Purchased the pro version just some days ago :thumbup:

lol!

That’s was a fancy feature, no one is probably using anyway (mouse and the space bar are much more convenient). I’m going to remove it in the 1.5 so you can peacefully listen to Thunderstruck while debriefing :D

lol!

That’s was a fancy feature, no one is probably using anyway (mouse and the space bar are much more convenient). I’m going to remove it in the 1.5 so you can peacefully listen to Thunderstruck while debriefing :D

:megalol: Yeah, space bar is what I found to be the more convenient option :thumbup::thumbup: :-)

Hello,

I am having issues with TacView causing a crash.

It starts with the text size in the 3D field getting bigger and sort of out of focus.

Then it starts lagging and after a minute TacView crashes.

I have this with the release version and just installed the BETA version and I have it there as well.

It has been working fine for months, and just started last week.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks!

http://www.TAWDCS.org ### JOINT TASK FORCE JTF-88 ### https://tawdcs.org/battalion/88th/ ### PC: i9 - 32Gb RAM - GTX 1080Ti - TM Warthog Stick and Throttle - MFG Crosswind Black - TrackIR5 - Buddy Fox UFC

From what you describe I would bet that this is a software change to your computers which has triggered this issue.

It may be because of faulty graphic card drivers, or more likely from a background program which would add its own data over Tacview 3D view. Could be something like Teamspeak overlay, fraps (but I don’t believe fraps is faulty), or any other special “HUD”/overlay program.

I can’t think about anything else for now. Can you share me your dxdiag files for both of your computers? Is the problem visible before or after having loaded some flight data?

Faulty AMD Radeon drivers?

Thank you for the dxdiag file Dutch Baron!

Did you try the latest drivers from AMD? http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+10+-+64

It looks like they have precisely a problem with their in-game overlay. In the latest release notes, they suggest to disable it with some tiles. Can you disable it to see if this fix the issue?

Radeon-Software-Crimson-Edition-16.7.2-Release-Notes

A few game titles may fail to launch or crash if the AMD Gaming Evolved overlay is enabled. A temporary workaround is to disable the AMD Gaming Evolved "In Game Overlay".

Thanks for the response.

I am up to date with the drivers, did disable GAMING EVOLVED completely and I still have the same issue.

I never used the in-game overlay, this needs to be setup for each game and I only run DCS and have never set it up and TacView isn't setup in that app either.

It does not seem to be related to this, though I am not saying the AMD GPU is not the cause.

Any other ideas?

Edited by Dutch Baron
http://www.TAWDCS.org ### JOINT TASK FORCE JTF-88 ### https://tawdcs.org/battalion/88th/ ### PC: i9 - 32Gb RAM - GTX 1080Ti - TM Warthog Stick and Throttle - MFG Crosswind Black - TrackIR5 - Buddy Fox UFC

Can you try the versions 1.3.4 and 1.2.8 at tell me if one is working better than the others? You can find them at the bottom of this page: http://tacview.strasoftware.com/support/reportbug/en/

If none of the version is working better, can you try the 1.4.3 with the following command line option? This will disable some graphic optimizations and may improve the stability.

tacview.exe /VBO:Off

Also, can you remember anything you would have updated on your computer when you started to see the problem?

Hey man, issue is fixed.

I uninstalled all AMD related drivers and products, installed it then without Vulkan and Gaming Evolved and the TacView issue is gone ;)

Stupid AMD :(

Thanks for all the help Vyrtuoz, greatly appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...
lol!

Hello again ! :)

I tried it out. And while it is true that the multimedia keys no longer start/stop playback of the flight I think you are still grabbing them. I can't control my background music while I am in Tacview. I need to Alt+Tab to to another window and then it works again.

It is perhaps not the biggest issue in the world but it would be nice to start/stop music even while Tacview window is active :)

Cheers!

Oh and I have another question as well :helpsmilie:

I usually try to do all my solo flying in the Steam Edition of DCS (to have all input bindings in one place in sync and then distribute the key bindings to standalone versions).

Those flights (steam edition) are recorded perfectly.

I also have the DCS Openbeta 1.5 were I fly with some friends who don't have the steam version. Those flights have not been recorded (neither multiplayer or solo flights).

All I can find is an option to enable DCS recording but how does this really work ?

And how do I activate it for all my DCS installs ?

Perhaps it has been answered earlier in thread but I couldn't find it :)

Thanks!

I also have the DCS Openbeta 1.5 were I fly with some friends who don't have the steam version. Those flights have not been recorded (neither multiplayer or solo flights).

IIRC the main tacview export files are in "Saved Games/DCS/Scripts"

• Export.lua - has a line added to run TacviewExportDCS.lua
  • TacviewExportDCS.lua - exports the flight data

If your DCS Openbeta has a separate save directory "Saved Games/DCS.openbeta" you'll perhaps need to copy the file and changes across.

Q14: How can I manually install Tacview script?

If the automatic script installation has failed, you can try to install the latest script yourself.

First, you have to create a script named Export.lua in the %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\DCS\Scripts\ folder. Make sure it contains the following line (at the end of the file):

local Tacviewlfs=require('lfs');dofile(Tacviewlfs.writedir()..'Scripts/TacviewExportDCS.lua') 

Then, download the latest official export script and save it next to Export.lua. Finally, open the configuration file corresponding to your version of DCS World and make sure it contains the following setting:

%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\DCS\Config\serverSettings.lua for DCS World 1.5+

cfg = { ["advanced"] = { ["allow_object_export"] = true, }, -- end of ["advanced"] } -- end of cfg

Source (Tacview online documentation): http://www.tacview.net/documentation/dcs/en/
Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Tacview 1.5 is now available

Tacview 1.5 is now available to everyone!

http://www.strasoftware.com/download/tacview

While - at the first sight - this version does not look very different from the 1.4.3, it is a huge leap forward! This is simply the biggest upgrade to date: It took about 8 months of hard work and debugging to perfect a whole new telemetry engine and file format.

Why all this work?

The new telemetry engine is more powerful, transparent and efficient than ever:

• It can manage any kind of data even unknown one. The owners of the Home and Professional editions can now use the new raw telemetry tool to have a look at all the data recorded for each object of the battlefield. In a future release, new customizable telemetry windows will be introduced, in addition of the raw telemetry tool, to replace the old - and now overloaded - telemetry ones.
  • This new engine also supports real-time data recording… which will soon lead to real-time flight data recording for the devices and simulators which support this kind of feature (like DCS World, FSX, X-Plane…)
  • Thanks to lossless optimizations and improved structures, the new engine requires two times less memory to load the same amount of data as before!
  • Thanks to full 64-bit floating point precision and spherical interpolations, replays are much more accurate than before, especially when analyzing real-life data and intercontinental flights.
  • The “good” old text and compressed binary file formats are gone! From now on, Tacview will save all of your data in a much cleaner and more intuitive text format (optionally compressed in zip, and soon 7z). Please note that DCS World and FSX exporters will switch to this new format soon.
  • This new file format is very easy to learn and to master. This means that, with just a bit of programming knowledge, you can easily create your own exporter. You can even create a file by hand - like show bellow - to inject data in Tacview world. A detailed documentation for the acmi 2.0 file format is available online: http://www.tacview.net/documentation/acmi/

What does that mean for you?

These two major improvements will soon enable really useful features. Here are two obvious examples:

• Real-time flight data recording, replay and analysis: Soon you will be able to see a flight in progress! Which is going to be very useful for instructors and referees.
  • Soon, all the data available in your cockpit will be visible in Tacview: Like fuel flow, controls position and even the pilot point-of-view and head movements!

What about Bullseye?

Tacview 1.5 natively support the display of bullseye and bullseye coordinates. For now, you can display a bullseye by creating and merging a tiny telemetry file like the following. Tools will be added soon so you can create and edit this kind of data directly from Tacview.

• Each bullseye is positioned using the “T=” statement in the following order: longitude in degrees, latitude in degrees, altitude in meters (altitude is used only for display purposes).
  • Use the notepad to create a text file containing the following data and use the merge function of Tacview to add it to your flight data.

FileType=text/acmi/tacview
FileVersion=2.0
100000001,T=41.72611|42.12278|2000,Type=Navaid+Bullseye,Coalition=Enemies,Color=Blue
100000002,T=40|44|2000,Type=Navaid+Bullseye,Coalition=Allies,Color=Red

763036455396597760.jpg

FEATURES & CHANGES

• Upgraded the export script to gracefully support DCS World 1.5.4 new export options
  • Added preliminary support for DCS World F-5E-3
  • Brand new Falcon 4.0 VHS file importer
  • Updated Falcon 4.0 terrains and databases to BMS 4.33 U1
  • Brand new (fully rewritten) core telemetry system
  • Telemetry engine now uses about two times less memory then before
  • Full 64-bit telemetry engine for more accurate replays
  • Fully rewritten merge feature which gives more stable and better results than ever
  • Accurate interpolation (slerp) of geographical spherical coordinates
  • Improved roll/pitch/yaw emulation for low-end telemetry files
  • Added support for the new ACMI 2.0 text file format (import & export)
  • Added support for telemetry files stored in a zip archive
  • Spanish translation by Miguel Víctores Franco
  • Added preliminary support for bullseyes (you can import your own bullseye)
  • Added day/night cycles to better represent flying conditions
  • Added traveled 2D ground distance to the charts (vs 3D air distance)
  • Calibrated air speed for standard atmosphere can now be displayed in the telemetry window and labels
  • Added an option to switch distances to feet under 2 nm
  • Unknown objects are now displayed using related 3D meshes instead of just boxes
  • Improved SAM/AAA threat zones display
  • Hovering the mouse on anti-aircraft unit will display its thread sphere regardless of the global option
  • You can now double click in the 3D view to toggle full screen mode
  • Restored support for Windows XP (at least until the 3D render is rewritten)
  • Increased charts time and distance measurement marks resolution to 1/10 unit
  • Added support for the new Flightradar24 csv files
  • Added support for comma as a separator for seconds in XML timestamps (GPX files)
  • Improved GPX files support (invalid samples are ignored and more tags are supported)
  • Improved KML files support for static objects (preliminary support of polygons)
  • Selected objects labels are now always displayed regardless of the global option
  • Removed multimedia keys support (mouse and normal keyboard controls are more than enough)

FIXES

• Falcon 4.0 VHS files landing gear and airbrake are now displayed properly in Tacview
  • Improved Falcon 4 "bubbles" handling and objects respawn
  • Fixed Falcon 4.0 RKND & RKNW runways position and orientation
  • Fixed a crash when loading truncated lines in csv files
  • Fixed a rare random crash when loading custom terrain textures
  • Fixed slow startup with a lot of custom tiles textures
  • Terrain custom textures loading has been tweaked and is now much faster
  • Invalid UTF-8 characters in text files are now handled gracefully
  • The advanced telemetry (effective) heading (HDG) is now properly displayed instead of the calculated one
  • Camera controls are now more responsive while idle (playback paused)
  • FSX2ACMI now better handles pauses during a flight

• Like 1

This is strange because Tacview does not lock the keyboard device to get exclusive access. I will look into this when I have some time for it.

Which player/version are you using for your music?

Hello again ! :)

I tried it out. And while it is true that the multimedia keys no longer start/stop playback of the flight I think you are still grabbing them. I can't control my background music while I am in Tacview. I need to Alt+Tab to to another window and then it works again.

It is perhaps not the biggest issue in the world but it would be nice to start/stop music even while Tacview window is active :)

Cheers!