Su-25 - Best unguided anti-tank weapon? For Abrams tank

panzerd18

I have set up a few missions were I have tried to destroy a long line of Abrams tanks with unguided rockets and bombs.

My results were most disappointing.

Giving myself one pass the most I was able to do is destroy 2 Abrams.

What would be the best tactic and weapon to destroy a convoy of heavy tanks on a road with the Su-25 using unguided weapons for one pass only?

S-24, S-25, S-13 and to a degree a full load of FAB-500 are all great. But... Abrams are pretty tough and 2 kills a pass sound kind of normal to me.

You can try a full load of KMGU too, may be it can do good if you are accurate with the release.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

My choice would also be S-25 or FAB-500. Success is determined by how close you can get your weapon to the target, but if you can these are better than S-13.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Using unguided rockets on main battle tanks is extremely tough when you want to kill a column of more than 2 - 3 at a time.

Accurate delivery of unguided rockets requires both high altitude and a steep dive angle; using these parameters to take out a long convoy of MBTs can be a difficult task.

The more shallow the angle the less the accuracy, as your rockets will only land around the calculated point of impact. I'm not certain of how the splash damaged is calculated in DCS, but I've found that you can't rely on it too much.

314-я смешанная авиационная дивизия

314th Mixed Aviation Division: The "Fighting Lemmings"- Forums: http://314thsquadron.enjin.com/ - ED Forum Group: http://forums.eagle.ru/group.php?groupid=119

Purely by observation I've found cluster bombs of all types, and the KGMU sub-munition dispensers, to be utterly ineffective against even older (T-55) MBTs.

The Vikhr is effective, though things like the T-90 and Abrams usually take 3 hits to achieve a kill from the frontal quarter.

A single hit from a Kh-29, with its enormous warhead, is enough to kill anything smaller than a bunker.

The Kh-25Ml gives very useful stand-off range and decent damage but you can only carry 4 along with a set of fuel tanks.

My favourite approach is to use the Vikhr from a rear or side aspect.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

• 2 weeks later...

For closely spaced tanks the cluster bombs or dispensers are the best bet.

For more widely spaced tanks FAB-100s on ripple release or manual release depending on how wide the spacing is.

For the cluster munitions you need to hit with multiple submunitions. To do that you need to be extremely accurate, and you need the footprint of at least two of the bombs or dispensers to be over a target you wish to kill.

For the normal bombs you need to get a direct hit on each tank you kill, the same is true for the large unguided rockets.

Sometimes you can use bombs or rockets on one end of a convoy and pick up another one or two kills at the other end by switching to guns.

Accuracy is the primary factor in success though. If you're getting direct hits on the rear and top of the target you can get kills with pretty much anything except S-5 rockets.

Misses, even near misses, tend to do only minor non-lethal damage to tanks, even if you use very heavy rockets or bombs.

Ultimately, the best unguided weapon is the one that you are best at aiming.

I recommend lots and lots of practice with the unguided munitions. Practice is what can make them deadly.

Callsign "Auger". It could mean to predict the future or a tool for boring large holes.

I combine the two by predictably boring large holes in the ground with my plane.