Which runway, where???

asking ATC for taxi to runway I get a reply taxi to runway ( for example) 22.

How do I know which runway is rwy22? sure I can cycle through the F10 menu and find out but it sort of kill the immersion factor or I could print out every airport diagram and put them in a book but thats a bit of a hastle.

Is there any chance of getting a taxi director similar to FSX where you get a line to follow which will guide you to the relevent runway tasked to you by ATC.

Not an issue just a small niggle of mine.

SD

[sIGPIC]sigpic55726_5.gif[/sIGPIC]

you can check your Kneeboard which will have your airfield on a map with runways etc.. 22 is usually heading where trafic is heading which means you'll take off heading 220 degrees and landing at 220 degrees. This may be a little bit off at times, I think Lochini got a runway 14 thats actually heading 130 (13). (Im not saying you dont know this, but just in case you dont, now you do!)

Edit: And since you got your airfield on your Kneeboard, its really not that unrealistically to use F10 to see the map of your airfield.

I always use my HSI to help me. In this case, I would find 220 on the HSI and head in the opposite direction. Of course, this only really works if you're on the tarmac adjacent to the runway. It's more difficult if you're taxiing from a bunker nestled in the back of the air field.

The_soupdragon,

let me say yes this is definitely difficult but so it is in RL without taxi direction. I tend to use the HSI to find the correct direction of the runway and to be able to see the airport information in the cockpit I use this mod:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=129341

it allows you to create custom kneemap pages and 476th has all the airport information in pdf to put in these. it works great.

good luck

76th falcon.

MSI Creator X299 - INTEL i9 - 10900X 3.7 GHZ - 32 GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 - EVGA GTX 1080 FTW AC2

Soupdragon, the aerodrome chart pdf from DCS "docs" folder is just 30-few pages long (or 15-16 if you print double-sided). I'd say printing it and having it nearby is not a hassle at all. I did it just for the reasons You mentioned in the first post. Mind You, compass will not tell You the layout of the taxiways, so You have to use some sort of a map anyway.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

The above answers are spot on. My method is using the HUD in the plane or the compass to figure out where I am pointing, and which way I should be heading. Luckily a lot of the airports we fly out of only have one runway (both directions).

One thing I will say though, the more you fly, the more it will become second nature which runway is the active.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

YouTube ~ Twitch

Don´t want to underestimate all the answers that are given to you,that are good ones, but, the simplest way to solve your problem is a good briefing, like in RL.

OK, maybe not necessary if you do just casual fly, but if you take your flying seriously, before you enter the cockpit you should know every bit of information relevant to your flight, and the active runway and its heading is a important info, so make yourself a good briefing before every flight.

Also it helps to focus your attention on the parameters of your flight, wich is good to just don´t get lost on confusing moments.

I go the easy route. Use the F10 Map and change to satellite view, then zoom in on the numbers...

:lol:

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900K * MSI RTX 4070 * Oculus Rift S * Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 X64 Home * 64 Gb Ram * TM Warthog Combo & Saitek Pro-Rudders :joystick:

I go the easy route. Use the F10 Map and change to satellite view, then zoom in on the numbers...

:lol:

It is better for you to just take a look at the runways direction in the F10 view, this way you will easier learn what a coordinated heading (degree) will be compared to N, E, S or W. This will be very useful when youre flying, using information from AWACS etc... When you ask you AWACS for a picture knowing theres an enemy close by, you wont have time to check the map lol. If you allready can tell where an AWACS spots an enemy for you, you wouldnt need to check satelite view to zoom in on the numbers, or using the F2 view.. Just saying.

Edit: Knowing that 00 is N, 90 E, 180 S and 270 W, I can easily tell which side of the runway is 14 and which runway is 32. If you can pick this up quite easily, it is only good for you.

Edited by AceRevo

Looking at the HSI helps. Look at the attached image. In my example ATC ground tells me to taxi to runway 7. So approx 70 degrees on the HSI.....visualize that as which way you will be facing when you're on the runway about to take off.

I will use the F2 view along with this if I'm confused.

HSI.thumb.jpg.c177e199d899b61ac0c3f998028195ca.jpg

If you have an Android phone (prob also available for Apple, dunno), go to play store and search for DCS manager. Checklists for Ka50 and A10 and all airport charts and -comms.

Google's Play Store application titled DCS Manager has all outdated charts, it is no longer valid for latest versions of DCSW. It was useful back in DCS+FC2 times.

DCS pdf charts get updated with DCSW patch releases

.\DCS World\Doc\Charts

copying these PDFs to tablet and mobile phone, displaying in front of me at all times during DCSW play-time:)

Edited by Shaman

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

It is better for you to just take a look at the runways direction in the F10 view, this way you will easier learn what a coordinated heading (degree) will be compared to N, E, S or W. This will be very useful when youre flying, using information from AWACS etc... When you ask you AWACS for a picture knowing theres an enemy close by, you wont have time to check the map lol. If you allready can tell where an AWACS spots an enemy for you, you wouldnt need to check satelite view to zoom in on the numbers, or using the F2 view.. Just saying.

Edit: Knowing that 00 is N, 90 E, 180 S and 270 W, I can easily tell which side of the runway is 14 and which runway is 32. If you can pick this up quite easily, it is only good for you.

As i was unaware of the way runways were designated and the cliche, "learn something new everyday" helped me ten fold in this thread...:thumbup:

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900K * MSI RTX 4070 * Oculus Rift S * Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 X64 Home * 64 Gb Ram * TM Warthog Combo & Saitek Pro-Rudders :joystick:

Google's Play Store application titled DCS Manager has all outdated charts, it is no longer valid for latest versions of DCSW. It was useful back in DCS+FC2 times.

DCS pdf charts get updated with DCSW patch releases

.\DCS World\Doc\Charts

copying these PDFs to tablet and mobile phone, displaying in front of me at all times during DCSW play-time:)

Charts are outdated, I agree. But as an aid to "which runway where" it gives sufficient information IMHO.

I just head for the nearest runway and take off when it is clear. Last time I listened to ATC when they cleared me, I almost got run over by a landing cargo plane.

I'll wait until there is better ATC/Ground control before obeying them. In the meantime I am fine with being a renegade (in single player, at least). :)