Windows X, Free upgrade for the first year.

For Windows 7, 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 users.

After the first year Windows X will return to normal Retail price.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any source on the "for" meaning what you've said rather than "after a year you'll be paying an annual fee"?

Also, from a quotation from a MS employee I got that the upgrade will be for the device you've done the upgrade on, until the end of its life. Which is an 'oem' version in my books.

It would be great if they sent me a desktop Windows X license just because I use Windows Phone :)

Still some unknowns. BTW, a non-oem Windows 7 in Poland is over 100 USD, with shady 50 USD copies flooding the auction portals. Can I buy a copy from a foreign retailer with an option to install a Polish languege pack? If not, how about without the latter?

Any source on the "for" meaning what you've said rather than "after a year you'll be paying an annual fee"?

Also, from a quotation from a MS employee I got that the upgrade will be for the device you've done the upgrade on, until the end of its life. Which is an 'oem' version in my books.

It would be great if they sent me a desktop Windows X license just because I use Windows Phone :)

Still some unknowns. BTW, a non-oem Windows 7 in Poland is over 100 USD, with shady 50 USD copies flooding the auction portals. Can I buy a copy from a foreign retailer with an option to install a Polish languege pack? If not, how about without the latter?

Im on mobile right now.

But Windows X when released, Will be Free to purchase a upgrade license for Windows 7,8,8.1 in the first 12 months.

Its a full license, not a demo, not a subscription

After the first year, it will return to the normal retail price

if you didnt purchase/acquire a license in the first year, you will have to pay for it.

Similar to how they sold heavily discounted Win8 licenses for a few months before release.

MS wants Windows X to take over the Marketshare from 7,8,8.1 and the easiest way to do that is to hand it out for free.

Windows Vista and earlier users will still have to pay for their license.

So basically, when WindowsX comes out, get your license then even if you dont plan on using it right away.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

• ED Team

Been using windows 10 preview on one of my pc's, I like it, even more now with this announcement.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Been using windows 10 preview on one of my pc's, I like it, even more now with this announcement.

Ditto, so far the list of applications that dont work fro

Win7 to X is still at Zero for me.

Runs faster, uses less resources, soon to have more release apps and features added.

I will likely abuse the Xbox stream and App in General.

Now I just have to get a wrapper for the Xbox one Controller driver coded, so I can use My Fanatec PC Wheel as an XBox One Input Device via the wrapper :)

I have to say the DX11 vs DX12 city scene was a bit of a Woah moment.

Especially if they keep their word in providing a DX11 to DX12 conversion SDK.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-windows-10-free-lifetime-device-after-initial-upgrade-no-yearly-fee-upgraders?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=Facebook

Still tied to the particular PC/device, non-transferable.

Release: Autumn 2015

Also, who says MS won't put a "Applies only to copies activated prior to 01.01.2015." in their terms and conditions?

Edited by Bucic

Sounds interesting, think I'll certainly grab a license key then, so long as you don't have to use it straight away.

Out of intrest, have any of you who have the preview builds, tested it with DCS, if so does it work ok? No fps drop or driver issues etc.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

I'm probably going to use Windows 10 in my next computer build. I have an OEM version of Windows 7, not sure how that's going to work, but I'll wait until the final version(if there is such a thing with Windows OS) before I try it. I will make a clone of my boot drive in case I don't like it or it doesn't work so I can go back to Windows 7 if necessary.

I'm a little suspicious of Microsoft offering free OS upgrades, I wonder what the "catch" is. Thing is, as it as always been with PC's, after Windows, there's not many options for mainstream use.

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P | i7-860 2.8Ghz | 16G Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3 | Asus GTX 750 Ti OC | 2 x Acer G235H | Samsung 850 256 GB | Windows 7 Pro 64bit | Saitek Cyborg Evo

Cheers mate, might give the preview a try then if DCS can work. :)

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Windows X Upgrade will be distributed through Windows Update optional Items on Release Day for All Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 8.1 Mobile and RT Devices

I'm a little suspicious of Microsoft offering free OS upgrades...

No need to be suspicious. They just want everyone to upgrade to W10 as quickly as possible. Also, Apple and Google, offer 'free' OS upgrades. MS simply can't stay behind and lose market-share in the consumer market.

That said... I'm going to buy a full Win10 version on day 1. For some reason upgrading my current OS seems like a recipe for disaster.

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

Here's the thing regarding updating to Windows X for free:

Boom, everyone is quickly on a system that runs the latest Windows "store" (like app store etc).

It's a method for them to make as many as possible exposed to their sales channel as quickly and easily as possible. That's the "Windows as a service" thing, this includes the sales channel integrated into the OS. (Compare with Google Play etc.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

No need to be suspicious. They just want everyone to upgrade to W10 as quickly as possible. Also, Apple and Google, offer 'free' OS upgrades. MS simply can't stay behind and lose market-share in the consumer market.

That said... I'm going to buy a full Win10 version on day 1. For some reason upgrading my current OS seems like a recipe for disaster.

'Upgrade' means license upgrade. No one will be preventing you from ultimately installing a clean version of Windows X.

Here's the thing regarding updating to Windows X for free:

Boom, everyone is quickly on a system that runs the latest Windows "store" (like app store etc).

It's a method for them to make as many as possible exposed to their sales channel as quickly and easily as possible. That's the "Windows as a service" thing, this includes the sales channel integrated into the OS. (Compare with Google Play etc.)

Everyone on Windows X means more marketshare for the new O/S, they want everyone on the same Version of Windows, easier support, easier unification of services, less money.

Edited by SkateZilla

The reason I am, and will always be suspicious of anything that is "free", is because the "free" stuff doesn't seem to stay free for long. Microsoft lost my game console business with their BS DLC policy; you buy a new game for $60, install it and the first thing you see is a screen to buy DLC. Windows 10 may start out free, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that Microsoft is going to adopt the Adobe business plan of subscription software. We might wind up paying for updates, media players, internet browsers, stuff like Direct X, who knows?

Apple gives out free operating systems because they have proprietary hardware you have to buy, Microsoft doesn't have that, all they have is software. As far as "marketshare" goes, if you don't buy anything, it doesn't mean much, it's a pretty nebulous term.

But, like I said earlier, if you have a PC, as far as operating systems go, your options drop off pretty quickly after Windows.

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P | i7-860 2.8Ghz | 16G Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3 | Asus GTX 750 Ti OC | 2 x Acer G235H | Samsung 850 256 GB | Windows 7 Pro 64bit | Saitek Cyborg Evo

The reason I am, and will always be suspicious of anything that is "free", is because the "free" stuff doesn't seem to stay free for long. Microsoft lost my game console business with their BS DLC policy; you buy a new game for $60, install it and the first thing you see is a screen to buy DLC. Windows 10 may start out free, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that Microsoft is going to adopt the Adobe business plan of subscription software. We might wind up paying for updates, media players, internet browsers, stuff like Direct X, who knows?

Apple gives out free operating systems because they have proprietary hardware you have to buy, Microsoft doesn't have that, all they have is software. As far as "marketshare" goes, if you don't buy anything, it doesn't mean much, it's a pretty nebulous term.

But, like I said earlier, if you have a PC, as far as operating systems go, your options drop off pretty quickly after Windows.

That is NOT MS/XBOX Specific.

It appears that the upcoming version of Windows and Xbox One will be closely linked, for what it's worth...

Windows 10 will, in the foreseeable future, not be a subscription service like Office 365 or Adobe CS. They're just keen to get everybody onto their new OS (for obvious reasons). Regarding Xbox and PC getting linked... are you suggesting we're going to have to purchase an Xbox in order to play games on our PC?

Windows 10 will, in the foreseeable future, not be a subscription service like Office 365 or Adobe CS. They're just keen to get everybody onto their new OS (for obvious reasons). Regarding Xbox and PC getting linked... are you suggesting we're going to have to purchase an Xbox in order to play games on our PC?

No, Windows 10, to say it as plain as possible Runs the Xbox One O/S in the form of the Xbox App.

Think Raptr/AMD Gaming evolved, its an app that tracks gameplay, allows you to share vids and pix, monitor mulitple friends lists etc.

It detects games you have installed from steam, and Xbox marketplace.

There are 4 games that I know of that will be releases this year for box PC and Xbox One, thay will play with each other on Xbox Live Cross platforms.

This is pretty much what Games For Windows Live should have been.

The only thing you need XBO for is if you want to stream your XBO games to your PC.

(is PS4 to PSVita)

All I have to day is, once released I got a group of guys that plan on making a Fanatec to Xbox One Input device wrapper so we can use our Fanatec wheels with Forza :).

Watching the press conference would explain it alot better.

Edited by SkateZilla

Hiya Skate,

That was clear to me but, apparently, for 'Ronbo316' it wasn't.

Personally I have no use for an Xbox. One feature I do like is the option to save the last 30sec(?) of gameplay baked right into the OS. I can see myself using that. Also, they haven't revealed all of it. According to the 'Xbox-guy' they'll have more to share during 'GDC'(?). Sometime in April I think.

It's good to see MS back. I was getting tired of all the Apple and Android posts. :-)

Hiya Skate,

That was clear to me but, apparently, for 'Ronbo316' it wasn't.

Personally I have no use for an Xbox. One feature I do like is the option to save the last 30sec(?) of gameplay baked right into the OS. I can see myself using that. Also, they haven't revealed all of it. According to the 'Xbox-guy' they'll have more to share during 'GDC'(?). Sometime in April I think.

It's good to see MS back. I was getting tired of all the Apple and Android posts. :-)

Yes, MS/Xbox testers are testing more than what was revealed at the Windows Event.

GDC will unveil the meat of the App, and debut the other games that are cross-platformed (Fable Legends already announced and demo'd at Windows Event).