SAITEK Build Quality

I have been playing flight sims for 15+ years, Ive owned thrustmasters, logitechs and saiteks during this time. I wanted to post this topic regarding saiteks so that you will NOT get burned like I have.

In the last two years I have purchased a Saitek X52 pro, and the Combat rudder pedals. My x52 pro failed after two weeks of use, the throttle locked up because the little junky detents inside of it fell out and got jammed in the mechanism. I decided that id be damned if im shipping them back and cracked it open myself, voided the warranty and removed the detents and got it working again. Figured it must be and isolated case. After three weeks the spring at the base of the joystick seized up and I have found no solution other than twisting the spring to unbind it, something that I still live with until I have the money to purchase a thrustmaster. So that's my X52 experience. This year I was fool enough to purchase Saitek combat rudder pedals, thinking that all the headaches I had before were just bad luck. So I unboxed my new pedals and excitedly got them setup and started flying. Within 3 hours of very soft use they broke, The spring inside of them came loose and they would not snap back to a neutral position and were jamming up aswell. So I went through the painful process of shipping them back to Saitek, they covered them under warranty and told me my new pedals would be here in a couple of weeks, well today I received my rudder pedals and they shipped the wrong model of pedals, I received pro pedals instead of the more expensive combat pedals. Im still awaiting word of what is to be. So I would highly recommend for anyone thinking about buying anything Saitek DONT! Chances are you will get burned. I would also like to note that long before Saitek was owned by mad catz I had an old X52 which lasted me for atleast 7 years. They do not build quality anymore. So that's my 10 cents to future customers of Saitek.

I've got to say I have both the exact same items as you and have absolutly no problems with them... I think you may have just been unlucky.

The only thing I was disappointed with was the fact that my rudder pedals were shipped in a broken original box, although bought new... someone decided just to tape up the side with some duct tape and ship it. The foam protecting the pedals was very visible through the side and it's as if someone tore the entire flap off the side of the box...

When I opened the box though the foam and the pedals were completely fine and I had no problems with them. Been using them for about a month now and no problems whatsoever.

I had a X-45 for 7 years as my one and only HOTAS and not a single problem except the slew rubber cover did not stand so many years because wear and tear.

Now i have a X-55 and it´s running smooth and precise from the very first minute.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

I had a X-45 for 7 years as my one and only HOTAS and not a single problem except the slew rubber cover did not stand so many years because wear and tear.

Now i have a X-55 and it´s running smooth and precise from the very first minute.

I have used the Saitek X-36, X-45, and X-52 Pro.

Windows left the X-36 behind. I still have it and it is theoretically still usable as a generic joystick if you can get the reset the registry entry to get it calibrated correctly.

I cut up the X-45 as a means to adapt a real B-8 / F-4 Phantom stick for flight sims, though I eventually damaged the wiring and replaced it with a BU0836X board with industrial grade pots.

The X-52 Pro was working fine when I saw a Warthog HOTAS on sale for $350. My kid still uses the X-52 Pro when he plays Mech Warrior, but the twisty stick rudder pot got dirty/spikey from lack of use.

Call me lucky, but I never had a problem with my Saitek sticks other than minor problems I could fix myself. Most notably, the friction/stiffness of the X-45 compared to the X-36 mandated that I use bread tie wraps and candle wax to get smoother operation when trying to make minor corrections. The X-52 Pro mainly eliminated this problem and the Warthog stick has similar problems with its stiff springs and center detent feel.

If I needed a dual throttle and couldn't get a Warthog for a decent price, I think the X-55 would be my first choice. But I otherwise still like the X-52 Pro. I never even remotely considered a force stick like the X-65.

On the other hand, I know of plenty of posts on the internet of Saitek build quality disasters over the entire range of their sticks including those that I owned. Was I just lucky to get three good sticks and never need to have them exchanged or sent for repairs over more than a decade of use? Or is it just that those who have been bitten the worst make the most noise? I know many others have had problems with the Warthog, too.

Lucky or not, I haven't had a bad stick yet except for the cheap Thrustmaster Top Gun stick I bought in 2002. It's B-8 grip made it my preferred purchase. Spikey out of the box, immediately led to me getting the Saitek X-36 USB and a path to happiness ever since :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It would seem there are problems with all the manufacturers. It can easily be found on this site the issues with TM, saitek, Logitech etc. It is good to keep everyone informed.

Dale

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I briefly owned an X-52, and then an X-52 pro, and both were returned due to build quality issues.

One had firmware issues that caused horrific system slow downs and BSODs when you gave a button a name that was over 16 characters, and the other had bad solder joints in the connector between the throttle and stick.

I wasn't impressed with the tactile feel of X-52's either. Everything you wanted to have a nice tight click had a feeling of mushy vagueness instead, and the sliders and rotaries seemed jittery.

The stick and throttle were accurate enough. They had no dead zones and no slop, A significant step up from a Logitech Extreme 3d.

I'm happy now with my Thrustmaster Warthog. Even though I had to RMA it too, for a bad coolie switch. They mailed me a replacement switch and let me install it before that though, which I liked. They also paid for shipping when I asked, which I liked a hell of a lot more because the damn thing weighs 12 pounds.

My biggest complaint with the Warthog is the spring force on the stick is quite strong, and does a number on my poor arthritic wrist.

You get what you pay for. If you go under 100 bucks, you've got slop and dead zones. Above, you get good control, but poor tactile feel. Spend 300+, You get the control, and the tactile feel.

No matter what you spend though, you're just as likely to encounter some kind of build quality problem requiring an RMA. :joystick:

Practice makes perfect.

I have no gripe with the products in themselves, my Combat Pedals have had a long hard life, and the only real issue is that one of the toe brake pots went west recently.

What did bug me however is that unlike the Thrustmaster products I own - for which spare parts can be purchased from the makers for a reasonable cost, and quickly to boot. Saitek just suggested I look in a local electrical store for a replacement, and offered no pointers as to what kind to look for.

When you pay Saitek prices, you shouldn't expect miracles, and as in any product, sometimes they will develop faults. I do think however that they should look at their after sales service, which I don't think is up to the task.

My biggest complaint with the Warthog is the spring force on the stick is quite strong, and does a number on my poor arthritic wrist.

Really? The warthog force is light, you need to stay away from a stock cougar then.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

i owned a X52 (basic, i wish i had taken the pro..) for 5 years with no issue, but accordingly to its descent price, it doesn't feel like a top quality product.

I still opened it to remove that stupid "AB detent" on the detent

but anyway, call it luck or not, all those bad reviews will end darkening saitek products. Bad reputation is bad fo business, and it's a long and hard way to get rid of it. I especially think about the automotive and motorbike world...where bad reputation can kill a brand !

Saitek remains the entry point for many wannabe simmers (i've been there) that's their market share. once you broke/feel the limit of it, one upgrades to a higher range product (be it warthog, ch product or whatever your wallet allows you )

Saitek is not that bad.

My devices since 2003 were Cyber 3D Gold, X-45, X-52, pro flight rudder pedals and X-65F. Now I'm using HOTAS Warthog with pro flight rudder pedals. I think the throttle of X-65F is better than that of Warthog.

Saitek WAS not that bad. Since Mad catz has taken over the quality is in decline. I had my original X52Pro combo with pro pedals for 8 years and the x-52Pro just gave up on two of the rotaris after extensive daily 2-3h use. The X-55 as replacement did not last without issues for more than 4 months. I asked an aquaintance working in the eletronics shop I bought the x-52 and he just told me they don't sell Saitek/MadCats sticks anymore because of the problem they have rgarding the 2 year warranty a seller has to give in europe.

Its the same that happened to cheap angle grinders and drills, here...nobody sells that junk anymore because it does not work the 2 years it needs to go out of warranty. As a side note, Samsung used to give a 3 year warraty on TFT till 2012. The models from 2013 on just have 2 year warranty...guess why.

Edited by Ulanthorn

I've never had an issue with Saitek stuff. My first HOTAS was an X-45 and it was the shortest lived of my HOTAS's, lasting only 2 years. But it's worth noting that the other sticks I'd used, including a CH yoke, lasted less than 3 months typically. So it was probably me just abusing them.

My X-52 Pro is one of the original batches from 8-9 years ago, still works though the pots on the throttle and its sliders/rotaries are getting worn out. I decided to replace it while it still works so I have a backup, the replacement is an X-55. Only had it 2 weeks, but other than coming without lubrication on the stick (a trivial thing to fix), I have no complaints. Time will tell how it holds up, but if my X-52 Pro and the previous X-45 are any indication, it should do just fine.

I'd used my X-45 for more then ten years. When I got more deep into Cliffs of Dover and DCS by last summer I bought the X55. I'm totally happy with the stick and can not confirm any problems, besides using and USB hub with external power plug as I had ghosting buttons without the extra power on my USB 2.0 ports. I really enjoy this HOTAS System.

not sure if they fixed build quality, but I have used Saitek for 15 years, not going to buy again,, I am scared they either didn't fix the cheap plastic or it got worse,, for the first few years al was good, the buttons became flaky, sticky, the plastic tabs holding the springs in the pedals broke... the pedals used to came off of the tracks, even with the fix it kit they sent me free many years ago, but have no come off the tracks lately..

I have had the X36, the X52 pro and the pro pedals.. next round I hope will be the warthog, not sure about pedals, the prices have gone crazy though,

at one time $300 to $350 covered pedals and stick, now it looks like $700 for flight sim stick and pedals!! totally insane,, in China it probably cost them $10 to make!

if CH made decent software for flight stick equipment I would go with them but the software sucks! the hardware is very good!

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

I think i have to give the quality of Saitek products an overall 4

I use to have a X52 and all i can say its a nice stick when you start out but once your a bit longer in the flight scene you kinda get to know the stick is really crap. Spring tension gets off after a while and dont get me started on the plastic.

Currently i have Combat rudder peddals and i hate them with a passion... They feel, operate and act just like they look. Wich in my case means cheap quality and way overpriced for what it offers.

Thank god i ordered a pair of MFG pedals from Milan.. Come on Milan !!!! When do i get my rudder pedals ;)

The only positive experience i had so far were the X65F. Proper build quality and they worked very well. Had to get use to the force sensing but once you get the feeling they work very well.

At the moment i have the Warthog and i sold the X65F because the Warthog feels better for me. So far its the best stick for me but not before i replaced the O ring and replaced the cheap grease with proper grease ( Molykote ).

Unless Saitek brings more products on the market that have the build quality from the X65F im never gonna buy anything from Saitek again.

g8PjVMw.png

My opinion of Saitek is that it's cheaply made and unreliable. I say that as an owner of an X-55 HOTAS and Pro Flight Pedals, with a pair of Combat Rudder Pedals on the way to me too.

Thankfully, I haven't paid very much at all for my gear. The X-55 stick and throttle were bought off Ebay for less than $90 shipped - they were sold as a defective unit because neither throttle works properly. One doesn't really work at all but the other is useable and when they're locked together they aren't a problem. Works totally fine for Black Shark and A-10C so I'm okay with it. It doesn't say much for Saitek build quality though.

The X-55 stick worked perfectly when I bought it but it is now having problems too. The thumb button is sticking to the point that I can't use it any more and one of the hat switches is starting to stick too. I'll probably take it apart at some point to see if I can fix that.

The rudder pedals were bought used for about $85 shipped and while they work fine, they just seem cheap. I'm not impressed with the build quality at all but since they're my first pair ever, I have nothing to compare them with. I picked up a barely used set of Saitek Combat Pedals too just recently so I'm going to try them to see if I prefer them. I'm aware that the only real difference is the pedal material/style so I'm not expecting much and I'll just keep whatever pair I like better and resell the other one.

I'd be pretty angry if I'd paid retail price for this stuff because it's just not worth it. By getting used gear, I paid less than half what it would have cost new. My advice is if you can't find Saitek equipment at a significant discount then don't even bother getting it. Either stick with lower end gear (my $50 Thrustmaster HOTAS X still works perfectly after hundreds of hours of use) or save up for a Thrustmaster Warthog setup.

If you just have to have Saitek and won't buy it used, make sure you buy from somewhere with an excellent and lengthy return policy. If I'd bought this stuff new, there's no way I'd ever deal with the garbage that is Saitek's customer service. I'd just return it to where I bought it from for a full refund, I wouldn't even mess around with warranty service. Having to ship off your new HOTAS or set of rudder pedals for warranty service and then wait weeks or months for a replacement (of dubious quality as well) is completely unacceptable in my opinion, and I'm surprised so many are willing to accept it.

I have a set of Pro Flight Pedals (now stowed away in the basement). I didn't like the narrow spacing of the foot-rests, I could never feel the center-position, and IMO the toe-brake-force was too weak so I could never reliably perform differential braking. Not surprisingly, I wasn't too happy about them design-wise.

However, in terms of production quality and durability I can't say anything bad about them, they worked without problems until I got a set of good pedals.

I owned several devices from Saitek/Madcatz during last 15 years

1. Saitek Cyborg USB Gold 1999-2003. Actually, it is still alive, but after 4 years of extensive usage one of POV hat positions doesn't respond correctly and reliably.

2. Saitek X45. Still in working conditions, after 10 years of usage i gave it to my wife's father (he used to be a Mi-8 pilot and play simulators from time to time). All functions still work correctly.

3. Saitek X-65F and Saitek Combat Rudder. This is my current input device set. Everything is ok. It is sad i didn't buy two X-65F sets at that time. The quality is excellent.

4. Madcatz Cyborg Strike7 keyboard and two Madcatz RAT7 mice. I had a single issue with a keyboard right out of the box - due to the broken AC adapter the keyboard went to cyclic restarts. Was repaired according to warranty.