New puter on the horizon...lil help

Hitman.. you may want to change your pwr supply.

Your Video cards requires 26a to run...

your pwr supply of choice has dual 12v rails..rated at 20a....

...not good.

If you plan to SLI you will need 30a rails...(more than enough)

*unless there is something I missed*

Thanks,

Brett

Look at the output row, the numbers:

+12V1@18A, +12V2@18A, +12V3@15A

mean that the power supply has 3 12V rails. The first two can each support a max current of 18A and the third supports a max current of 15A. The currents are not additive, the power supply CANNOT support a current of (18+18+15=51A).

IMHO, it is better to get a power supply with 1 strong 12V rail (30+A). This PC Power & Cooling http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817703001 offers extremely high quality and high efficiency. When you shop for power supply, the wattage is sometimes misleading. A cheapo one that says 500 W may be rated at that wattage at a temperature of 15C. Under operating conditions, the temperature can easily go beyond 30C. At real operating temperature, the cheapo one may be good for 350 W. You cannot go wrong with brands like PC Power & Cooling, Fortron, Seasonic, Enermax and Zippy. I believe the OCZ PSUs are manufactured by Fortron.

Regarding an overclockable CPU, the FX's have an unlocked multiplier. You can easily overclock just the CPU without tempering with the motherboard or the memory. The 64's multiplier is locked upwards (you can only decrease the multiplier). IMHO, the only advantage of a 4000+ is a 12x multiplier. Since you are getting a nice motherboard that supports a high FSB, a 11x multiplier as in a 3700+ should work fine too. In my experience, the San Diego cores with 1 MB L2 Cache run hotter than the Venice cores (512 MB L2 Cache). That is also something to take into consideration when overclocking.

Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2

ASUS Sabertooth X79

4 x 4GB Crucial Ballistix VLP PC3-12800

ASUS Cerberus GTX 1070 Ti 8 Gb

Seasonic Platinum 860W

Thrustmaster Cougar Uber II Nxt

CH Products PT/TQ/MFP

Slaw Pedals

TrackIR 5

OK your right....glad im asking good questions here.

What good is this one if it doesnt have a fan?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835109123

It looks like a beast but no fan?

That's because with high end heatsinks, you usually have the choise of buying your own fan (being that fans range in CFM and noise, people use different ones based on their own prefs)

I also recomend the Scythe Ninja, I have it and its great keeping my 170 nice and cool.

Here's a picture of it in my case (big square thing with fan attached on its side to blow heat outside of case in conjunction with exaust case fan)

mypcsmall.jpg

sig-YF19a.jpg

Originally Posted by bflagg

Hitman.. you may want to change your pwr supply.

Your Video cards requires 26a to run...

Can that be right? 26a x 12v = 312 watts

I think the top video cards ATI/Nvidia pull around 100 watts or so, right?

Found the reference for the 7900 GTX about 85 watts peak load.

power.gif

Also found this info:

Note that the new card consumes the largest share, about 45W, from the PCI Express x16 slot and only about 36W from the external power line. The remaining 3W are consumed from the +3.3V line. For comparison, the Radeon X1900 XTX is almost the same load on the graphical slot, but it sucks in as much as 72W from the external +12V line! Thus, though an elite graphics card, the Nvidia GeForce 7900 GTX has a very modest appetite and doesn’t require a high-wattage power supply even if you are going to put two such cards into your system case. A good-quality 400-450W PSU will be quite enough.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/geforce7900gtx_6.html

edit:

OK..... looks like I may have to change the websites I use for reference:

AnandTech shows this chart:

11187.png

271 watts divided by 12 volts gets you 22.5 amps.

I just came to the conclusion that I suck at americas army. Soooo I guess I better stick to flight sims. Of course this computer doesnt help me much...so heres what Im going to do.

2x 7900 gtx cards in sli mode

4x sata2 hd 1 terraflot

Asus A8N32-SLI

2 gb Corsair Low Latency ram

PC Power & Cooling 510 SLI-PFC 510W Power Supply

THERMALRIGHT SI-120 High Performance Heatsink

Ive decided to get the FX series a try, but now its a debate over the 57 or the 60. I really want something over 3 ghz range approaching 4 when I am ready to o/c.

On second thought, the x-57 is the better choice, and Ill go with that instead.