Warthog slew control replacement part

• 2 weeks later...
Correct, the right throttle grip has 2 shift registers. The left grip on the other hand has a button and a toggle that go straight to the main board in the throttle base.

hegykc,

Would your original solution work for other sticks such as the Cougar HOTAS of for people like me rebuilding Suncom sticks?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Let me make sure I understand.

Currently, when I slew (say, my SPI), it has two sensitivities: not moving or moving too damn fast/far.

So this drop in modification/replacement should allow me to move slower or faster based on how far I'm pushing it?

Entropy Squadron

Possibly the least serious group of pilots on Earth

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Let me make sure I understand.

Currently, when I slew (say, my SPI), it has two sensitivities: not moving or moving too damn fast/far.

So this drop in modification/replacement should allow me to move slower or faster based on how far I'm pushing it?

Have you played with the curve/saturation? The default settings are horrendous.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

Deezle

Yes, I've messed with the settings based on a guide someone had posted a while back. It seemed a bit better, but to me it still feels like it is a hat switch, not a joystick in that it is either moving at full speed or not at all. Perhaps it is somehow defective? Is yours able to move at slower speeds?

Entropy Squadron

Possibly the least serious group of pilots on Earth

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aurel - Have a look at the Target Device Analyzer. That will show the SLEW inputs as analog, and demonsrate how non-axis it is like with the default settings.

Thats probably better feedback for tweaking settings than in-game.

• 4 months later...

is this still alive ? or has it hit a barrier ?

Intel Intel Core i7-8086K

32 Gig RAM

1 Tb Nvme SSD

EVGA 1080Ti

Win 10 64 Pro

LG 34UM95 34 inch Monitor

Track IR 5

Oculus Rift

HOTAS Warthog...mod'd TDC

SIMPEDS Pedals

It´d be great to have a better and more precise slew control. Even with modified axis it is very hard to slew slow in the center and fast at the edges as they are too close together. This is the only point where I really miss my good old Cougar. A short update would be great as I´m also very very interested as well.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

I really hope this is still alive. Keep up the great work.

Kind regards

Jorik

Intel i7 8700k 5,0Ghz OC

Nvidia GTX1080Ti

32Gb DDR4 3200Mhz RAM

HP Reverb Pro

Selfmade Alu Rail 4080 mounts

TM HOTAS WARTHOG

Virpil 100mm extension + Virpil VFX + TM F/A-18 Stick

TM MFD's

Saitek Pedals

I dont know if it is allowed to post here, If not I will delete it.

I took a microstick cap from an old laptop and glued it to the slew control (quick 'n' dirty)

2015_10_21_11_54_53.jpg

• Like 1

Windows 10 | i7-8700K@5GHz | 2080 Ti | Intel Z370 Chipset | 32GB RAM@1866 MHz | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB| Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS w. FSSB R3 Mod | Saitek Switch Panel + Radio Panel + Multi Panel + FIP + Flightpanels Software | MFG_Crosswind | TrackIR5 | TM Cougar MFD Pack | Obutto R3volution | 1 x LG38 | GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

• 3 weeks later...

hegykc, I hope you're still here. This is the most important mod I think I've ever seen. I hope the fact that the electronics in the Hotas Warthog are not compatible with standard joystick pots won't stop you from offering this mod for sale.

My workaround for this would be just not to use the Throttle's own circuit board for the replacement slew. Rather, I'll just run an extra cable out of the throttle, and connect it to my USB encoder. I think anyone hardcore enough to disassemble their throttle and replace the slew would be able to do this as well.

I would be willing to pay you a generaous price for a one-off printing run of the parts you prototyped , if you've tested them to fit. I'll make all the electronics work myself. Please contact me if you're up for doing business.

Thanks,

cow

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely interested in this. The original is really only good for rough, large-throw applications. Having tried many work-arounds, both through software and hardware (nubs, ps controllers and the like) I concluded that your idea is the best solution by far. I don't have the know-how to confidently tackle the problem though. Will be watching with interest with wallet ready....

It's taking longer only because as my knowledge increases I see I can make it better and better, and in more ways than one. Also, all of my projects are interconnected so it becomes easier to get some services done and goods ordered.

So, my first plan of just plugging a mini thumb joystick plug'n'play into the throttle will not work. TM used a device which is not a simple potentiometer or hall sensor, but a kind of a micro controller in itself. I don't know if that's the right phrase but the tiny joystick itself can be programmed for different applications. It communicates with I2C protocol, and in order to make my regular mini joystick to work, we would need a custom designed pcb with some other electrical components to mimic this.

The really, really bad thing is that it only has 1mm/0.04'' of travel in each direction, and only travels in 2D which is unpractical for a finger. It was made for mobile phones where the operation is much more intuitive using ones thumb.

BUT, do not despair. Working on my other projects I became much more familiar with electronics, so I have a couple of solutions in mind.

The last one in this thread, was to simply design a new encasing with a micro mechanical mechanism that would translate the small 2D movement into a much larger 3D joystick like movement, via a lever in a gimball. But plastic micro mechanical mechanisms brake and wear out, and any backlash or deadzones in the mechanism would be enlarged. Plus, why go through the trouble of making a really bad thing, slightly better, when we can completely replace the whole thing.

So, I think I will take the very first design with the simple playstation mini joystick ( there are some really high quality ones, down to the 0.99$ ones), discard 1 of the 3 bolts on the plastic plate and rout the wires through that bolt hole, outside, to an arduino nano. Or better yet, plug that mini joystick into some of my projects that already use an arduino, like the instruments/panels/levers.

Not the most elegant solution, but it's dirt cheap, high quality, no drilling/soldering and I can tell in advance that it'll work.

I will also test the new casing with the mechanical mechanism just in case it works out.

Edited by hegykc

I feel like a small track ball for the thumb would be great imbedded appropriately in a stick. Or track pad maybe

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Slip the surly bonds of Earth

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Core i7 2600k@4.5||Z77 Extreme 6||16GB RAM

WIN 10||HTC Vive ||G940||1080Ti

• 2 weeks later...

hegykc, I'm glad you're still here and working on this. I'm looking forward to updates. As long as we're on the subject of replacing the slew joystick entirely, has anyone ever contacted Otto, Sogein, or Atoms regarding their willingness to sell the *real* thing to civillians?

http://www.ottoexcellence.com/products/transducer-switch/

http://www.sogein.eu/joystick.html

http://www.atoms-monaco.com/fr/joystick-commande/mini-joystick/

I wonder if these can even be ordered individually and what kind of cost they are. Hundreds of dollars probably?

S3NTRY11, a trackball on the throttle would be awesome. The F35 has got one. http://www.f-16.net/forum/download/file.php?id=16163&sid=90f7d0da6ab03434fb25897b93a4ee25&mode=view But, a trackball wouldn't be a good replacement for Warthog owners because the cursor replacement still needs a bug button. I can't find any clickable trackballs out there. Could be a neat project.

EDIT: I forgot to mention. I'm working on my own implementation of this, albiet without hegykc's impressive 3d printing. I have a dualshock3 gamepad that I'm going to gut, remove the battery from, and hack away all of the PCB except for the bluetooth, USB controller, one joystick, and power button. Then, I'll desolder the stick attach 30guage wires to it, and replace the stock slew with it. I should then be able to run the wires down to what's left of the DS3 PCB in the throttle base. May be a tight fit and require some drilling/cutting. I've got some fun options at this point, including either drilling a new hole for a mini USB cable to connect the DS3 to the PC, or I may be able to wire the throttle's existent usb voltage to the DS3 PCB and use it with my PC via bluetooth. I've used DS3tool with the DS3 and the PC, so it'll just show up as an xbox360 controller, with the normal axes. Will work in all sims. I'll update this thread with pics if I'm able to pull this off.

Edited by mooimacow