Night Vision Goggles + Bright/Dim Anomoly

SnowTiger

I hope this is the right spot to post this topic ?!!!

I am currently working on the Huey Campaign. Anyone familiar with it will already know that there are several Night Missions requiring Night Vision Goggles.

I have the NV On/Off and Brightness on my Hotas (Throttle).

I can turn NV on and off and I can increase/decrease the brightness (or sensitivity), however the further I turn the Brightness Down, the More Blurry it gets (i.e. Out of Focus).

They don't seem to turn off or dim to the point of being dark (essentially Off). The get only so dim and then they just start going Out of Focus.

Has anyone else noticed this ?

Is there a solution ?

Is this an issue that has already been reported to Ed and/or Belsimtek ?

OR am I simply misunderstanding something or misusing the NVG's ?

Thanks in Advance

SnowTiger:joystick:

Hey, SnowTiger!

But isn't that the case with all NVGs in this game? At least, when I try it in the Mustang I also get the same behaviour - that is, if I turn the brightness too far down it sure gets blurry fast.

(And yeah, it's the exact same in the Huey)

But you know what? This "feature" is pretty nice, it just means you can't use NVGs in twilight missions. I've made missions that are in the twilight on purpose, so you can't "cheat" with them NVGs ;)

If it's intentional, you'd think they would just set a minimum brightness or sensitivity level for the NVG's (in all Mods) and not have the Blurred Vision levels which are useless to everyone all the time.

That said, I have never worn NVG's so I really have no idea how they work in the real world. Maybe this is normal and an accurate representation of the way they really work !!?

Well, real NVG's don't have a brightness/sensitivity adjustment.

This. I use ANVIS-6 regularly and you can only change your focal distance. You're supposed to set the focal distance outside the cockpit and use your peripheral vision to see the instruments.

Edited by b00ce

LG 34UC97 34" 3440x1440 monitor | 2x GTX-980 G1 Gaming

I7-5820k @ 3.3GHz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 2133Mhz

Samsung 840 EVO 120GB & 1TB SSDs | Seagate 3TB HDD

TM Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals

This. I use ANVIS-6 regularly and you can only change your focal distance. You're supposed to set the focal distance outside the cockpit and use your peripheral vision to see the instruments.

How is it that I am using -9s but you guys are still using -6s? :P

You must be a Hawk guy (station 282).

How is it that I am using -9s but you guys are still using -6s? :P

You must be a Hawk guy (station 282).

Don't ask me, I don't buy the NVGs. :p

I'm not sure I'm following this conversation very well.

While I get there is a work-around by changing a bunch of parameters (which makes me nervous because I'm not a code writer), but then "b00ce" says "you can only change your focal distance. You're supposed to set the focal distance outside the cockpit and use your peripheral vision to see the instruments."

Are you saying there is a way to Adjust the Focal Distance in DCS Huey's NVG's ?

Or is this all a hopeless case that I must learn to live with unless ED decides to make changes ?

He was talking about the focal point on the real NVGs. On real NVGs, you set the focal point out to infinity (or near enough, anyway) so that looking at anything in the cockpit through the NVGs is just completely blurred and unreadable. So you look "under" the NVGs to see the cockpit unaided.

Are you saying there is a way to Adjust the Focal Distance in DCS Huey's NVG's ?

I wish! Then they'd be half way realistic.:thumbup:

You shouldn't be able to adjust the brightness of NVGs; in the real life if its too dark or too bright, tough nuts. There have been plenty of times where I'm flying over the ocean on a zero-illum. night and I can't see ANYTHING with my goggles other than a dark void with the occasional white-out from the anti-collision lights flashing. Or it could look like day time with the moon over head on a cloudless night.