how close is the Edge engine to photo-rea terrain?

Flyby

Would be great to see something close to this (strike pilot's wet dream):

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/thread/1420120211/Additional+areal+photo%27s+of+the+new+air+range+in+Mattawan+Michigan.

Just imagine if those rich colors could be rendered. Probably take a huge amount of Vram, and at least a 512 bus. Things to dream about for the virtual world of combat pilots. I know. "Keep dreamin, Flyby"

Flyby out

The U.S. Congress is the best governing body that BIG money can buy. :cry:

maybe in 20 years

that's what I thought 20 years ago! :lol: So it has to be closer than it has been. Anything beats the drab DCS world we have now. Guess it depends on how one wants his immersion served up?

Flyby out

this is a tough room!

Guess I really should have known technology would not be able to pull it off (so soon). May as well sell that surplus Cray in the basement!:smilewink:

Flyby out

Photorealistic graphics is about combination of choosing right colour of textures and right lightning applied to them.

[sigpic][/sigpic]

MB MSI x570 Prestige Creation, RYzen 9 3900X, 32 Gb Ram 3333MHz, cooler Dark rock PRO 4, eVGA 1080Ti, 32 inch BenQ 32011pt, saitek X52Pro, HP Reverb, win 10 64bit

Photorealistic graphics is about combination of choosing right colour of textures and right lightning applied to them.

and as an example...?

Flyby out

In FSX with satellital imagery and editing the autogen files you could get results like this.

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

This is the pre-sell version of Edge.

Msfs3.png

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

Satellite images only work nice from high altitude. To get the terrain looking very real you might have all objects placed without "teplates" (so that everything looks and fits to terrain texture), might have good light tracing (and that consumes awfull lot of CPU power to be done in real time) and you need to have propper detail to everything at any altitude and distance. Very big task if you ask me... it's not just if technology is available or not, but also to get such huge task takes lot of time (you can see just how many years ED has been working on EDGE). I'd stick to my 20 years... maybe :)

No longer active in DCS...

=Mac=,I thought you were banned!!

Msfs3.png

by the humor police.:P

Kuky, you are probably right.

Flyby out

• 1 month later...

Msfs3.png

LOL

That brings back memories.

Intel i5 7600K @ 4.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4 @ 3200MHz | MSI RTX 4060 Gaming X 8G | WD Black NVMe 2TB | Sound Blaster Audigy RX | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | Corsair H80i v2 | Corsair RM750x | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Flight Pack | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Home 64-bit |

Sig1.png

Would be great to see something close to this (strike pilot's wet dream):

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/thread/1420120211/Additional+areal+photo%27s+of+the+new+air+range+in+Mattawan+Michigan.

Just imagine if those rich colors could be rendered. Probably take a huge amount of Vram, and at least a 512 bus. Things to dream about for the virtual world of combat pilots. I know. "Keep dreamin, Flyby"

Flyby out

In fact, current DCS's terrain textures are near that, the problem is that textures are all like they was washed with ultra-caustic detergent. If you add little contrast and saturation you can get a better result. The other problem is that the DCS's render engine renders some terrain textures to be even more "grey" than they are... The graphical result is homogeneous but very faded.

(PS: And, DCS is currently very "Yellow/Green" filtered... what make a strange world... what about ED's monitors calibration ?)

Edited by sedenion

Honestly, I have yet to see a game where the world mesh with a photo overlay (e.g. FSX texture packs) look better at close range than an artificial rendering. If you want your game environment to look exactly like real life you'd have to stop using texture overlays in the first place and replace that with a 1:1 pixel rendering of every little detail visible. E.g. the thread used to attach the buttons on your coat would have their own 3D model. Last time I checked SLI only supports up to 4 GPUs...

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory

:megalol: :megalol: :megalol: :megalol: :megalol: :megalol: :megalol: :megalol: :megalol:

You do need a horny layer transplant. :D

in your case I think the corrective glasses can not help him :D

No, really, the DCS's terrain textures are, i will not say "Wonderfull", but that is realy a good job, i say that as a graphist. Textures have good definition, this is some retouched and remixed satelite photos, pretty well done. The problem is, as i said:

- They are all desaturated, uncontrasted, which give this faded render. You take the texture to photoshop, to "contrast++" and "saturation++" and you get a beautiful well colored texture.

- The 3D engine itself, render the texture with a strange "lighting" that make the texture even more faded and "flat".

Making terrain textures, on this scale, is a hard job, you have to apply some shader's tricks, adding noise for "close view" and take care about the "repeat effect" in large view... This is all but easy... Except this "grey green faded" effect, Ed's team have made a good job here. That could be better, right, but this is NOT bad. If you take an FSX standard terrain for example, you will see at first: This is ugly, pixelated, and the "mipmapping" is an heresy.

:megalol: :megalol: :megalol: :megalol: :megalol: :megalol: :megalol: :megalol: :megalol:

You do need a horny layer transplant. :D

in your case I think the corrective glasses can not help him :D

Just lets see what happen when you JUST add some contrast and saturation with a little hue shift on original textures:

http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=113670&stc=1&d=1425045816

EDIT: Same with some RGB levels correction to make colours less "yellow/green filtered':

http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=113673&stc=1&d=1425048142

DCSwithContrastAndSaturation.thumb.png.9805cae7998f830880e166c2c3ae42bf.png

Edited by sedenion

Just lets see what happen when you JUST add some contrast and saturation with a little hue shift on original textures:

http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=113670&stc=1&d=1425045816

EDIT: Same with some RGB levels correction to make colours less "yellow/green filtered':

http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=113673&stc=1&d=1425048142

the colors can be improved you're right but I think the buildings and textures should be redone from the first stage

I want new things, I'm tired of patches , we need something new updated , we need something closer to reality.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You do need a horny layer transplant.

in your case I think the corrective glasses can not help him

sorry my joke :) I could not resist :)

Edited by paidapinga
  • Like 1

Why it needs to be photorealistic?

How about just randomly and dynamically generated foliage like grass, flowers, stones. Then throw there randomly generated trees, bushes etc that developers add to maps and follow exactly the user own preference for caching etc?

There would be lots of tree islands and openings and such by that way in most areas, then just paint again the wanted kind random terrain to areas that needs to be more open etc.

I don't care about realism in maps, not every road or building or tree needs to be a correctly placed from real world.

Helicopter and DCS:CA owners would love that there is more than just "Grass, trees or buildings".

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 1 month later...

it may not have to be photo-realistic for some,

It's doesn't currently have to be at all. But I think some among us appreciate every little forward step made in delivering a more immersive world to fly in. It just adds to the suspension of disbelief. The more immersive a virtual world is, the better. Smooth frame rates of course. I hope DX12 delivers on the increase in efficiency (something like increased draw-call count , I think?).

Anyway, Better graphics is a high for me in air simulations. I mostly own combat flight simulations. I always want better graphics in the same way some want pure fidelity in FMs and DMs and systems and subsystems, and great looking cockpits.... It's all closer now. see here:

http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/3dmark_api_overhead_test_dx11_vs_dx12_cpu_performance_preview.html

Just my opinion on things. To each his own kind of pleasure in this hobby.

Flyby out

Why it needs to be photorealistic?

Have to agree with this.

While I definitely appreciate more realistic terrain, IMHO this is a Digital Combat Simulator, not a Look at the Pretty Landscape Simulator.

I'm here to fly the damn plane, not count the leaves on the trees and gush over the specular highlights on the ocean waves.

Your Mileage May (almost certainly will :) ) Vary.