do I still need to install the first BS ?

a1adin

Hi Guys,

I am thinking about installing all my DCS World into new system.

Since my BS2 is the upgrade module,

with the latest version of DCS World (1.2.14),

do I still need to install the first BS before I install the module?

or now it is not needed anymore (like FC2) ?

Please advise.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, guys!

I think the BS2 is the only module for the Black shark helicopter addon we have nowadays since not very many people have the BS1 CD nowadays, if that is not the case, how do I install the BS2, the BS2 comes with BS1 right? Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Edited by Vinny002

I think the BS2 is the only module for the Black shark helicopter addon we have nowadays since not very many people have the BS1 CD nowadays, if that is not the case, how do I install the BS2, the BS2 comes with BS1 right?

I'm not entirely sure I understand the question, but let me try to break it down.

Owners of the BS2 Upgrade still need to have BS1 installed and activated whenever they want/need to activate their BS2.

The BS2 Upgrade is no longer available for purchase from ED, only the full version is still available.

When BS2 was released, it was standalone and it was only multiplayer compatible with other BS2 installations of the same version.

It's still possible to install the old BS2 as a standalone, and it can also be installed parallel to a DCS World installation. In that case, BS2 standalone and DCS World will just be foreign to one another.

BS2 later became a module for DCS World, and any BS2 key can be used to activate the BS2 module in DCS World (in case of the BS2 upgrade, BS1 must be installed and activated for the activation, see above).

I hope that clears things up (and I hope that is actually correct; if I screwed anything up, just post a reply and I'll correct any mistakes). :smartass:

• 11 months later...

Don't you think it could be more simple to give BS2 module activation key for those who bought the fisrt BS1+BS2 upgrade ?

It's very boring (stupid ?) to install BS1 for activation only and then BS2 upgrade.

I don't understand why we couldn't get the BS2 module activation key if BS2 module = BS1+BS2 upgrade.

I wonder why ED thinks differently ... hum

Another thing: is BS2 upgrade different than BS2 module ? I can(t imagine developers maintain these two "modules", especially the "old" BS2 upgrade. It's not really on the ED product roadmap.

I guess BS2 upgrade is equal to BS2 module except the BS2 upgrade installer checks first if BS1 is installed and activated.

Could you confirm that ?

And is it possible to get the underlying reason of their disagreement to give a BS2 module key ?

Thanks

Another thing: is BS2 upgrade different than BS2 module ? I can(t imagine developers maintain these two "modules", especially the "old" BS2 upgrade. It's not really on the ED product roadmap.

I believe the modules are almost identical. But when the new "Republic" DLC campaign was released, many BS2 upgrade owners weren't able to play it initially because of activation issues. I guess the Republic activation wasn't tested against BS2 upgrade or something like that.

And is it possible to get the underlying reason of their disagreement to give a BS2 module key ?

I'm not aware of any official statements. I guess it's as much a matter of limited resources as it is a matter of economics. Someone would have to figure out a safe way to exchange all the existing keys, this would need to be communicated, and if something went wrong, there would be a lot of additional support effort. Weigh that against the ongoing support for activation issues that people are having and I guess the answer is that the ongoing support takes up less of ED's time than a license exchange would. But just to emphasize, this is purely speculation on my end.

I bought the Russian version of bs1, the English of bs1 and the upgrade to bs2.

I don't have bs1 installed, nor do I have a CD. I can not download BS1 anymore.

How do I get my BS2 module running?

I'm afraid if you can't install BS1, you won't be able to activate BS2 Upgrade at all. But I would definitely open a ticket with ED and see if they can find a solution if you can provide them your serial numbers or something like that. Or maybe someone here knows where to download BS1; unfortunately I don't know how or where to do that, sorry. Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...

You need a Installed and Activated Version of BS 1 to Install and Activate BS2 Upgrade.

They have not to be inside the same installation path.

Steps

- Install and activate BS1

- Install DCS World

- Install BS2 Upgrade module

- Activate BS2 Upgrade module

The only thing iam not sure about is how the Module Manager of DCS World does handle this.

Edited by Isegrim

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

You need a Installed and Activated Version of BS 1 to Install and Activate BS2 Upgrade.

They have not to be inside the same installation path.

Steps

- Install and activate BS1

- Install DCS World

- Install BS2 Upgrade module

- Activate BS2 Upgrade module

The only thing iam not sure about is how the Module Manager of DCS World does handle this.

Which is the problem. I just did a repair on my system, power supply tanked, and reinstalled and upgraded, but there is no option to upgrade to BS2 and the upgrade module is no longer available. And there is nothing in the module manager to deal with this.

So I dug a little further and found a license check utility on the website and my license for BS2 is valid, but there is no way, that I can see now, for me to update from BS to BS2.

Edited by Mortifa

Fate is inexorable...

Got the upgrade mod at the bottom of the modules page in DCS world 1.5 so it should be there

Thanks, I will look again.

Just looked and nope not there and neither is the Black Shark 2 module for me to buy. I think it is a glitch.

Edited by Mortifa

Fate is inexorable...

I know this is a bit late for this conversation, but if anyone else is looking for the BS1 download:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/previous_versions/

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2