DCS Steam sale, up to -65%

GeorgeLKMT

DCS Steam modules on sale, up to -65% right meow, ends January 2nd.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/223750/

Before you ask:

Yes, you can buy modules from Steam and use it with standalone.

No, you cannot use modules from standalone (DCS shop) in Steam installation.

Cheers, George.

Yes, you can use modules from standalone in a Steam installation.*

I will personally help you if you ask, and add me on Steam, at http://steamcommunity.com/id/fennecfoxes/

Generally, the steam modules are more expensive for people living in countries that use the Euro.

When you buy from DCS store, EU citizens get the advantage of the Euro to $ exchange rate....

And i get the feeling that ED will make a larger profit, because they don't have to pay a comission to Steam.... Am I correct?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Your eyes only see what your mind is ready to comprehend"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Intel I7-6700K - 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz HyperX Savage - Strix GTX 960 DC II 2GB OC Edition - Seagate 1TB

I've purchased the Mig 21 and the K4 on Steam, I usually have the option to copy the serial key to activate on the standalone version, but now Steam does not show any option to do this, what can I do?
In your Steam Game Library, if you highlight "DCS World" there is no "CD Key" menu option under "Links" in the lower right of the Steam Client window?

I'll buy the DCS DLC through Steam because it's such a great deal, but I am going to install them in a standalone game. I hope you don't have a problem with Steam because their support and customer service is absolutely terrible. It could take weeks for them to respond to a support ticket.

My first DCS module purchases were the A-10C and Flaming Cliffs. I want to get a couple more aircraft before the sale is over, for sure, but which ones?

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P | i7-860 2.8Ghz | 16G Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3 | Asus GTX 750 Ti OC | 2 x Acer G235H | Samsung 850 256 GB | Windows 7 Pro 64bit | Saitek Cyborg Evo

You can buy on steam and use with the standalone... just start installing, purchase, grab licensefrom cd key list, remove, and go about installing it as you normally would...

As embarrassing as this sounds, I don't even know what "Steam" is.....:doh:

I don't game as much as I used to, so I'm kinds out of the loop.

Tim

As embarrassing as this sounds, I don't even know what "Steam" is....
You are not missing much

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P | i7-860 2.8Ghz | 16G Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3 | Asus GTX 750 Ti OC | 2 x Acer G235H | Samsung 850 256 GB | Windows 7 Pro 64bit | Saitek Cyborg Evo

As embarrassing as this sounds, I don't even know what "Steam" is.....:doh:

I don't game as much as I used to, so I'm kinds out of the loop.

Tim

This is easier than trying to explain it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_(software)

:)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

So, is this how most people buy the DCS modules, through Steam?

If I ever decide to try out multiplayer, is it better to have a Steam download, or the stand alone version?

Last question. Right now, all I have is a bone stock, unmodified, recently downloaded DCS: World on my computer that I got from the DCS download page(The 6 file download deal that takes forever...LOL). If I go the Steam route, should I uninstall my current DCS: World, and start fresh with all files coming from Steam?

Sorry for the newbish type questions. I really have played filight sims before on PC....LOL. (MSFS going back to FS3.0, Il-2 series, and the original LO:MAC)

Tim

Edited by pickafivestring

I don't necessarily think that it's how most people play DCS or buy modules, however it is an option. A lot of games come out exclusively via Steam or it is the best download source so it is desirable for many games.

It's also a DRM model that is less obnoxious than Starforce, but it will get you nowhere with DCS since you still have to activate modules via Starforce. It's not common that games via Steam also add their own DRM, but hardly unheard of.

It doesn't add to anything in multiplayer either really, since DCS in no way supports invites via Steam, etc. Modules often come out on Steam a little later than the ED store as well, so people with Steam installs tend to have to wait a bit longer for them.

I think Steam is mostly another vector for them to introduce customers to the wonderful world of DCS.

The big thing about Steam is when there are updates for your games it pretty much just downloads them so your already up to date. Some games support multiplayer invites via steam, etc. If you ever need to reinstall your game on a new computer, or even a second computer you can just download it via Steam. No keeping track of licenses and keys and all that nonsense for the most part either. Your library is yours. And there is even family sharing so that if you have a game others can play it on their computer when you are not and lots of other features. It's definitely not the worst thing in the world.

Edited by xaoslaad

So, is this how most people buy the DCS modules, through Steam?

If I ever decide to try out multiplayer, is it better to have a Steam download, or the stand alone version?

I'm new to DCS, but this is my take. I have Steam because if you want to play games on a PC, they are pretty hard to avoid. For DCS, I have the program installed in a directory apart from my Steam game files, that is, one DCS install is on Steam and one is a "standalone". It takes a little extra hard drive space, but I don't 100% trust Steam. Maybe multiplayer is better on Steam, I'm not sure. For a few gigabytes of hard drive space, I get it both ways.

Today, Steam has DCS modules at great prices. I buy them on Steam and they install to the Steam game. I'll download the same modules from the DCS website and use the Steam CD codes to install them. If Steam servers get hacked, which would not surprise me at all, I still have my DCS install with the standalone. Like many computer users these days, I use an SSD for my boot drive and programs and a large capacity spinner for storage so a few gigabytes is not much for peace of mind.

Today, Steam has DCS modules at great prices. I buy them on Steam and they install to the Steam game. I'll download the same modules from the DCS website and use the Steam CD codes to install them. If Steam servers get hacked, which would not surprise me at all, I still have my DCS install with the standalone. Like many computer users these days, I use an SSD for my boot drive and programs and a large capacity spinner for storage so a few gigabytes is not much for peace of mind.

So the activation key you get from Steam for a paid module will work on the same module downloaded from the ED website? That's cool. Like most people nowadays, I've got a 1Tb HDD, so doubling up with a Steam version, and a stand alone version isn't a problem.

Thanks for the help guys. I've got tomorrow off, so guess what I'll be doing for the better part of a day?

Tim

So the activation key you get from Steam for a paid module will work on the same module downloaded from the ED website? That's cool. Like most people nowadays, I've got a 1Tb HDD, so doubling up with a Steam version, and a stand alone version isn't a problem.

Thanks for the help guys. I've got tomorrow off, so guess what I'll be doing for the better part of a day?

Tim

Just in case, here is a thread full of good information related to DCS, ED and Steam.

Steam Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and Steam Specific Issues

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Tim

Yes, just remember keys you buy from the ED store will not work with Steam; some keys were grandfathered in, but Valve no longer does this so if you buy it from the Eagle Dynamics store don't expect it to work in Steam. Bought from Steam and used with standalone, as already stated a couple times, does work. Steam has been around for quite some time; aside from accounts with poor passwords, etc. and a couple moderate incidents (read the security section on the wiki above) there hasn't been anything too severe. Nothings impossible though.

Edit: or what cichlidfan posted since he beat me to it.

Edited by xaoslaad

Just in case, here is a thread full of good information related to DCS, ED and Steam.

Steam Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and Steam Specific Issues

Yes, just remember keys you buy from the ED store will not work with Steam; some keys were grandfathered in, but Valve no longer does this so if you buy it from the Eagle Dynamics store don't expect it to work in Steam. Bought from Steam and used with standalone, as already stated a couple times, does work. Steam has been around for quite some time; aside from accounts with poor passwords, etc. and a couple moderate incidents (read the security section on the wiki above) there hasn't been anything too severe. Nothings impossible though.

Edit: or what cichlidfan posted since he beat me to it.

Don't forget, you -can- use Store modules on Steam. It's just kind of tempermental sometimes, and is 100% unsupported by ED or Steam Support

In your Steam Game Library, if you highlight "DCS World" there is no "CD Key" menu option under "Links" in the lower right of the Steam Client window?

Doh! Never mind dude, I was looking for the keys in the wrong place lol. Thanks for the help.

Intel 8700K@4.7ghz(all cores) / 32Gb DDR4 /WD Black SN750 Heatsink 500gb (DCS Only) / MSI GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING Z 8G / Windows 10 PRO / VPC WarBRD Base + Warthog Stick + Foxx Mount / Thrustmaster TPR pedals / Thustmaster MFD / Thrustmaster Warthog throttle + Monstertech chair mount

Yea, I just got Flaming Cliffs and the A-10C to start my DCS Air Force. Bought them on Steam and installed them into a standalone DCS installation without asking for the authorization codes.

I want the Mustang and I think a helo, I've taken plenty of rides in a Huey, but it's pretty much the pickup truck of helicopters, I might try the Ka-50. If I have any cash left over, I'd like to have the BF-109.

Sorry kids, Santa is not coming this year, Daddy is buying airplanes.

Just got black shark 2 , i have shark 1 (eng And russian versions) And update to 2 but it wont go steam so sale was just what i needed , just take my money. :D

And F-86 sabre -> here i come :)

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Before you ask:

Yes, you can buy modules from Steam and use it with standalone.

No, you cannot use modules from standalone (DCS shop) in Steam installation.

Cheers, George.

I'm new here. I have already downloaded and installed DCS World from www.digitalcombatsimulator.com.

Now I wanted to buy more aircraft. Steam they are cheaper than here ?!

1. Why is that?

2. Why are the same products between Steam and ED is not compatible?

Where should I buy now?

Why are the aircraft here at ED so expensive?

It confused me a lot! As a buyer, I would like to receive variable support in the future, no matter where I buy the aircraft.

I'm new here. I have already downloaded and installed DCS World from www.digitalcombatsimulator.com.

Now I wanted to buy more aircraft. Steam they are cheaper than here ?!

1. Why is that?

2. Why are the same products between Steam and ED is not compatible?

Where should I buy now?

Why are the aircraft here at ED so expensive?

It confused me a lot! As a buyer, I would like to receive variable support in the future, no matter where I buy the aircraft.

1. Well the full non-sale price on steam is the same or actually sometimes higher than the price from ED. So Steam is not cheaper than ED it only makes some sales but ED also makes many sales, currently there is none but some days ago there was one^^

2. Long story but Steam did not offer DCS in the past, they made a "deal" and tried to combine EDs and Steams offer and the keys. There where problems and blablabla they decided to "split".

You can export Steam-DCS-Keys to DCS-Standalone but not vice versa!

As a buyer you should stick to ED and get it from ED and not Steam. The steam installation often had some problems. As I said they tried to combine DCS with Steam to improve the product but there where problems and disagreements so they splitted.

Yo made it sound like there are 2 games.

Actually is the same game you can install via steam or via old method which is ED distribution and installer.

Also Steam installation is identical in the end with classic ED installer but has on top Steam protection and benefits from Steam easiness to manage your games. (btw... I have Steam but I don't use it for DCS World).

bottom lines...

Sales on Steam don't coincide with sales on ED site... reasons are dictated by marketing and are understandable. You don't need to feel bad about it... you can buy a phone at different prices if you search the vendors... and you don't have bad feelings about it, nor confusions. Yo even get happy if yo fiond that one has a sale and his price is 50% lower than anybody... So is here in this case.

ED site sale modules in $ and if you buy in Euros you get a normal currency conversion. Other sites or distribution systems... like Steam have a parity on $ with Euros so the prices might be bit higher for Europeans.

What should you buy?

If you are new and you are used to steam... buy on Steam. Yes you might chip 2-3 Euros on ED site but Steam Keys are valid in ED stand alone installer and maybe at some point everyone will move on Steam... basically... your key is good in two "worlds".

Why the Key from Steam is valid on ED site but not viceversa?

Cause Steam Key is a ED key! ED gave that key to Steam to sell it so they recognize it. But DCS stand alone keys are not known (anymore) by Steam because Steam don't want to complicate its database.

So... The multitude of Steam Keys are included in the multitude of ED DCS World Stand Alone installer. Simple. 1st grade thingie :) .

Edited by zaelu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

ED doesn't have the sale on their website yet.

..."yet" ...but fingers crossed...this year has been a killer for us financially. A good decent sale would mean CC charge then transferred to another introductory CC at zero interest. Oooooh, if one wants to fly bad enough there ARE ways.

Edited by mrmertz