Chuck's Guides - DCS Tutorial Library

Charly_Owl

Yep, thanks Chuck for your continuing excellent work. What an effort!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Hi folks,

With the released DCS 2.7 version, the Hornet is becoming ever more complex. I originally wanted to wait for a few months before returning to it, but I felt like giving another push before the Great DCS Summer of 2021 comes upon us with new planes. The page count increased from 620 to 680+ pages... but I think it shouldn't increase much for the upcoming months, which will be quite busy for me.

See first post for link.

Changelog (4/05/2021):

• Added ATFLIR targeting pod section

• Added HARM Pre-Briefed Modes (Aircraft + HARM Lofting)

• Added HARM Self-Protect Pullback Sub-Mode

• Added radar Spotlight mode

• Updated radar TWS logic

• Typo fixes and other small corrections

If you have any suggestions, recommendations or corrections, please let me know.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 8

thanks as always Chuck these resources are invaluable! 

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Thanks you Chuck, very good job as Always.

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - Intel I7 4790K - Artic cooling freezer 7 pro rev 2 - GSKILL 32 Go - SSD Crucial M5 120 go - SSD Crucial 2To - HDD western digital caviar blue 1 TO - Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 - Windows 10 home 64 bits

Thanks a lot Chuck, hopefully more people will help support your work trough Patreon 👍

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hola!

Been getting to grips with the JF-17 recently, and noticed a couple of things that (at least in the current state of things) seem to be either different from the guide, or missing from the guide.

Different: CM-802AKG datalink requirements. Your guide only mentions the datalink pod for the CM-802AKG in the Manual + Man in the Loop mode, but it would appear that currently at least the Direct mode, and very likely the Coordinate mode as well do require the datalink and terminal guidance from the player. If you don't have the datalink pod onboard when shooting the CM-802AKG, very soon after launch the missile goes stupid and starts doing loops. If you have the datalink pod onboard but don't provide terminal guidance, the missile won't hit anywhere near the SPI (in my experience it flies over the target area, because it's not aligned directly at the SPI, but to get to the area of the SPI. So having the datalink pod and providing terminal guidance is mandatory. I haven't yet tested COO mode, but have tested many a variation in DIR mode.

Missing: Slow INS alignment procedure. There doesn't seem to be any mention of how to perform a slow INS alignment, just the fast one. From looking at other people's tutorials and testing in-game, the difference seems to just be that you need to turn the mode switch to GC, don't need to add the heading manually, and after alignment is done turn the mode knob back to NAV mode.

9 hours ago, jubuttib said:

mentions the datalink pod for the CM-802AKG in the Manual + Man in the Loop mode, but it would appear that currently at least the Direct mode, and very likely the Coordinate mode as well do require the datalink and terminal guidance from the player. If you don't have the datalink pod onboard when shooting the CM-802AKG, very soon after launch the missile goes stupid and starts doing loops. If you have the datalink pod onboard but don't provide terminal guidance, the missile won't hit anywhere near the SPI (in my experience it flies over the target area, because it's not aligned directly at the SPI, but to get to the area of the SPI. So having the datalink pod and providing terminal guidance is mandatory. I haven't yet tested COO mode, but have tested many a variation in DIR mode.

Did Deka say if this was intended behavior or not? I'd rather have their input on this before changing everything for the AKG.

Edited by Charly_Owl

Unfortunately can't comment on what Deka has officially said, but at least when I was asking around online I had people tell me that it's always been that way. Might be worth asking Deka if you have a contact there?

(Sidenote, not directly related to your guide: It can be a bit annoying with the JF-17's targeting pod when it loses POINT track (due to masking, visual obscuring due to clouds, etc.), because it seems to default back to the waypoint SPI. If I intend to fly away to get some standoff, I have to make sure I'm in area track mode to make sure the SPI stays where I want it to.)

Wow, spitfire pdf twice the size of 1 year ago, nice work!!

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Unconsciously I've found myself searching Chuck's guides for NS430. 😄 😄 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

🤣

After an unsuccessful search, I said the same thing... I mean almost the same... but it's great thing for our reputation of course.

Your works come first when finding reliable information for a module. 🙂

Thanks again Chuck!

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

2 hours ago, Charly_Owl said:

Odds are very, very unlikely I'm afraid. I just have too much stuff on my plate right now.

And I wouldn't bother TBH, totally not needed for the lite weight FC3 platforms.

• Like 1

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Hello everyone,

the guide to the JF-17 has been updated. What's new there? I haven't dealt with this module for a while, hence the question. 

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

2 minutes ago, Swiso said:

Maybe I didn't payed attention, but why the Harrier guide is not available ?

Thanks

See previous page. 

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box