Real or Photoshop?

It's real IMHO. Look at the photos posted in the airliners.net discussion, that should be rather convincing. As for the refueling probe, it's anyone's guess as to why it's extended. To show off (you'd think the altitude would do the trick though ;) )? To somehow disable restrictions of a possible new FBW system (it's a testbed Su-30 afterall and the recent gear up landing of an Eurofighter Typhoon was performed with the probe out for that reason)?

One thing is for sure though, if it's indeed Kvotchur at the controls then he certainly has a precedent for doing this kind of stuff. Ask AndrewMcP ;)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I not 100% certain, but I don't think Kvochur is still flying. I am sure, however, that his Test Pilots wingman, Alexandr Garnajev, is no longer flying. In both cases, I mean official flying, not personal. AFAIK, Kvochur left the LII institute in a bit of a fuss with other important personnel.

**EDIT**

:eek:

Crazy Fing Russians...

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

I not 100% certain, but I don't think Kvochur is still flying. I am sure, however, that his Test Pilots wingman, Alexandr Garnajev, is no longer flying. In both cases, I mean official flying, not personal. AFAIK, Kvochur left the LII institute in a bit of a fuss with other important personnel.

Kvochur is still flying. He even discussed the possibility of flying through that cave in China :D

http://pda.avia.ru/news/?id=1142356145

Is it just me or has SK, got leet powers of mind control ?

check post 33 and 34

SW quotes the dude before he even posts...

Leet skillz :p

Hehe. I accidentally deleted the wrong post. then re-entered it for clarity.

Here's some more information about ground effect being possible to break through by a real fighter pilot.

http://www.freeweb.hu/f15e/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=10;t=52

Dave "Hawg11" St. Jean

This one also scares me. Russian at the controls?

LOL... That's the Rus' team (which may or may not be flying today). Very similar to the Frecce Tricolori routine. These guys put on a very nice show. You're missing out on a lot of very good and, until recently, extremely rare footage of Russian aircraft. Have you visited http://www.strizhi.ru? If not, their forums are a must for anyone interested in Russian aviaiton (and able to read Russian), as there are many great photos and videos of both airshow and in-service types, as well as much participation from people directly involved with the flying.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

SwingKid-

I think you're over emphasizing the ground effect. This phenomena adds a small amount of lift to the plane when low to the ground. This is only significant when the plane is at slow speed as it can make the plane behave as if its actually flying faster. At high speed the jet has so much more available G the control surfaces absolutely smash thru the any wingtip vortices bouncing off the ground.

Side note on the original photo. Looking at the reverse angle you can see the spectators are standing on a 5-6ft hill. This is probably where the pic was taken from and the added elevation makes the plane look a little closer than it actually is.

if they are really flying that low, how much dirt do you think is being sucked into the engines? it cant be good for the engines.

Then taking off should be bad for the engines also... ;)

Here is the video I made of the Fouga Magister flyby at Kleine Brogel in 2003:

CM-170 low-level flyby at Kleine Brogel 2003

Note, this is not a take-off run, it had already done that, and was now doing a last flyby before returning to its home base at Beauvechain.

It's climbing slightly when it passes by, because there was a fence and some low trees and stuff past the end of the runway.

Here is another video, showing the same aircraft taking off at RAF Fairford earlier that year.

You can hear the pilot explain what he is doing.

CM-170 take-off at Fairford 2003

The quality isn't great, but I made these with my old digital photo camera.

Dutch Flanker Display Team | LLTM 2010 Tiger Spirit Award

Guest IguanaKing
This one also scares me. Russian at the controls?

Note that Jaguar is a high-wing aircraft - the ground effect needs to be measured from the wing to the ground.

-SK

Well...it looks like he's wearing a ZSh-7 on his head, but that Ejection Seat warning is Western. Lots of the L-39 pilots around my area still wear the Russian helmets since they're not usually as pricey as an HGU.

It's real!!! watch the movie "Stars Of Sukhoi" link: http://www.patricksaviation.com/aviation_videos/386/Stars_Of_Sukhoi?go=download you can see a SU-27 do the same very low flight above the runway after 50 seconds from the beging of the movie, and yes i know it is not SU-30 like in the picture, but if the SU-27 can do it so does the SU-30 that is in the picture can and did do it! I hope now all of you that say that it is fake will say sorry to the SU-30 and to its pilot. :p

:icon_supe

Guest IguanaKing
Definately Russian, it's the solo aircraft from Team RUS.

Doh!!! :icon_toil

Thanks guys, I guess I can't really compare a current service aircraft to the old L-39s I am around.

I don't understand what is so unbelievable in an airplane flying a couple of feet off the ground. Ok, it is not usual on airshows nowadays. It is a great thing to see, indeed.

What makes me angry is people tend to think that the lower the pilot goes the better he is. And what makes me mad is when the pilot itself thinks the same. There were so many who thought they could fly lower than others and eventually killed themselves.

These russian pilots always push their limits on airshows and why? Well, I'm sure, if an ordinary russian air force pilot did something like this, would never fly again. These guys, who fly around the world and do these displays, fly much more than the ordinary guy in the russian air force. In a way, they are the ones who do the commercials and have to sell the damn thing, so their superiors let them do a little show off. They do fly impressive and amazing demos, but somehow that's the reason why they crashed on airshows in the 90s I don't know howmany times. It wasn't just bad luck, or was it?