Real or Photoshop?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That and the ground shadow doesn't look quite right. Look at the one parked behind and to the left.

I could be wrong though

"I know Not that which you have said, but if I had medication I would (Robin Williams)"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I tend to think its photoshop. Unless they have a feature like us Lock-On owners and are able to turn Heat blur off.... ;)

edit: Im almost thinking the whole airplane is a graphic. If you look closely, it appears they need to turn up their AA a few notches more...

100% Photoshop:

- the aircraft is below ground effect,

- the aircraft has no AOA,

- the aircraft is in a bank,

- the aircraft is not even lined up on the runway,

- the engine exhausts are at the maximum military power setting,

- April Fool's was yesterday.

Gotcha.

-SK

EDIT: d'oh! forgot the refueling boom.

EDIT: double-d'oh!! That's a company prototype. The real airshow Su is in the background of the same pic. :p

EDIT: triple-d'oh!! even the focus and lighting are mismatched.

- the aircraft is below ground effect ----- point being???

- the aircraft has no AOA ----- that's dependent on speed, so it's possible

- the aircraft is in a bank -----no it's not :)

- the aircraft is not even lined up on the runway,-----again point being? I presume they have different safety standards then we do.

- the engine exhausts are at the maximum military power setting,-----

this supports the reason for a low AoA (denoting a possible high speed).

- April Fool's was yesterday.-----This pic was taken on March 19 2006 in China.

This is a completely real photo guys, NO photoshop involved. On the same note, check out this tomcat airshow video. Talk about low, he has to be atleast as low as this su-30. There's also a small F-22 gift in the beginning:)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6547793592971674062&q=tomcat&pl=true

Althlon X2 6400+ 3.2 ghz

EVGA 8800GT SC - 512mb

X-45

MOMO pedals

- the aircraft is below ground effect ----- point being???

The ground effect cushion will automatically lift your jet away from the ground, unless you're flying below the stall speed - which the Su-27 clearly is not.

- the aircraft is not even lined up on the runway,-----again point being? I presume they have different safety standards then we do.

What do safety standard have to do with it? You take off from a runway, not from grass.

This is a completely real photo guys, NO photoshop involved. On the same note, check out this tomcat airshow video. Talk about low, he has to be atleast as low as this su-30.

He's lower - he's on the ground. :) You can't see it well in this video, but this is a take-off roll. The F-14 raises his gear early and keeps his nose level. As he accelerates, the ground effect eventually lifts him up to the correct "cushion" height, after which point he can no longer penetrate below it anymore. You can see that his engines are on max military or afterburner the whole time, but his wings are extended for slow-speed flight - he's accelerating down the runway in a takeoff roll. This is possible because he's actually lined up on the runway, and not banking around. Note that you never see him descend to this altitude, only to rise away from it. So IMHO, the Su-30 photo is 99% sure an April Fool's Photoshop, because that aircraft is clearly not on a take-off roll, being misaligned with the runway as it is.

Nevertheless, I'd be interested to see the link to this "airliners.net forum discussion" you refer to...

-SK

I'm going to have to start charging...

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/aviation_photography/read.main/226760/

P.S. Supposedly, the Russian Knights originally had a plan to do some kind of a stunt at the airshow and fly through a natural cave, or an arc of some kind. They called it off due to fears of the thing collapsing under the pressure change as the aircaft scream inside it. So, even though I also tend to think that this particular photo is fake, I'm not ready to bet money on it.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

Great thanks EvilBivol-1, I was just about to do that. Well, point proven now. As far as the tomcat video, the gear are up for the entire run except for the first instant the f-14 part starts.

Althlon X2 6400+ 3.2 ghz

EVGA 8800GT SC - 512mb

X-45

MOMO pedals

Ok, interesting... Maybe rather than being an intentional Photoshop job, the shot was just taken from a funny angle that makes the aircraft look closer to the ground than it really is... Or perhaps, that's not the aircraft's shadow underneath it, but just a big smudge on the runway that causes an illusion?

-SK

It seems to me that given the (assumed) speed and ground effect, the stabilator position is not unusual. Then again we know the pilot is constanly adjusting slightly, so the cam could have just caught it at that angle.

Althlon X2 6400+ 3.2 ghz

EVGA 8800GT SC - 512mb

X-45

MOMO pedals

Guest IguanaKing

Like Capttrob said...no heat blur. Even at idle that thing should be leaving a noticeable wake. Maybe he did an engine shutdown...but the residual heat from the pipes would still be there. It isn't. 100% photo shop...for that single reason. :D

At the speed he's traveling with the pic being so close up, the heat blur would be hard to see since we can't see much after the nozzles. I think we'd need to see more to the rear of the plane to make a heat blur call, I don't buy it.

Althlon X2 6400+ 3.2 ghz

EVGA 8800GT SC - 512mb

X-45

MOMO pedals

Guest IguanaKing
At the speed he's traveling with the pic being so close up, the heat blur would be hard to see since we can't see much after the nozzles. I think we'd need to see more to the rear of the plane to make a heat blur call, I don't buy it.

Its not there at all though. ;) IR doesn't care much about how fast you are going dude. :D

Its is fake...justlook at the tail radar...you can still get a litle of BLUE sky over there

That's smoke... check out the airliners.net discussion pics on the first page.

Althlon X2 6400+ 3.2 ghz

EVGA 8800GT SC - 512mb

X-45

MOMO pedals

Its not there at all though. ;) IR doesn't care much about how fast you are going dude. :D

IR?? I see no IR pic here... look at other real photos of fast moving aircraft and see how far behind the planes you need to see to actually see the heat blur.

Althlon X2 6400+ 3.2 ghz

EVGA 8800GT SC - 512mb

X-45

MOMO pedals

Guest IguanaKing

I agree with the observation of the stinger on that aircraft. The photo editor guy screwed up. Its a great pic, but I don't believe its real.

The ground effect cushion will automatically lift your jet away from the ground, unless you're flying below the stall speed - which the Su-27 clearly is not.

What do safety standard have to do with it? You take off from a runway, not from grass.

He's lower - he's on the ground. :) You can't see it well in this video, but this is a take-off roll. The F-14 raises his gear early and keeps his nose level. As he accelerates, the ground effect eventually lifts him up to the correct "cushion" height, after which point he can no longer penetrate below it anymore. You can see that his engines are on max military or afterburner the whole time, but his wings are extended for slow-speed flight - he's accelerating down the runway in a takeoff roll. This is possible because he's actually lined up on the runway, and not banking around. Note that you never see him descend to this altitude, only to rise away from it. So IMHO, the Su-30 photo is 99% sure an April Fool's Photoshop, because that aircraft is clearly not on a take-off roll, being misaligned with the runway as it is.

Nevertheless, I'd be interested to see the link to this "airliners.net forum discussion" you refer to...

-SK

Soooo..... SwingKid am I to understand from your post it is impossible for a jet to crash while flying at high speed low to the ground?

You should pass this information onto the Air Force right away!

I'm not sure its real either, but I don't think its been disproven yet.

blowup.gif

I agree with the observation of the stinger on that aircraft. The photo editor guy screwed up. Its a great pic, but I don't believe its real.

I find it hard to believe (if this was a chop) that he'd miss that "huge" area by the stinger...lol It's just the airshow smoke

383717817_xin_5420303192109281323983641.jpg.f8f650acd752cbb9afd4d3ba6d6a982e.jpg

Althlon X2 6400+ 3.2 ghz

EVGA 8800GT SC - 512mb

X-45

MOMO pedals

Guest IguanaKing
IR?? I see no IR pic here... look at other real photos of fast moving aircraft and see how far behind the planes you need to see to actually see the heat blur.

IR-influenced mixing in the air, dude. I don't see a single wisp off the airframe, or the engines. I didn't mean an IR enhanced pic, like a FLIR. ;) On the other hand, come to think of it, most cameras are not fast enough to even capture heat blur. Tried to many times with my old Sony DSC200 on F-18s, no luck...they all looked like they were just sitting without the engines running, but my Nikon 8800 gets all that stuff. OK...so I was wrong...lack of heat blur doesn't necessarily condemn this photo. :icon_jook

Guest IguanaKing
I find it hard to believe (if this was a chop) that he'd miss that "huge" area by the stinger...lol It's just the airshow smoke

I was talking about the original photo. You'll see a little, conical region of sky blue very close to the stinger. Yes...the photo you just posted is obviously smoke. But look at the stinger in the original. ;)