Button Box in the making Derek Spears Design

I have the FLY-1. Very solid piece of sim equipment. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

• 2 weeks later...

right then no intervention and look what's happening!

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/2014-track-boss.html

It's on it's way... so are the ram mounts ( another $100 )...

Certainly looks sweet and looking forward to it. May Buddah, Mohammed, Christ and John Lennon forgive me, 'cause the wife won't :cry: :megalol:

Edited by Picksplitter

Acer AMD Phenom II x 4 840T, 16 gb. memory, Zotac GTX580 Amp2 3GB, 40" Philips tv, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Combat Rudders , Cougar MFCD's w/ 21.5" LG monitor, DSD Track Master button box, 3rd. century Roman field comanders helmet w/ Track IR 5, Windows 7 Home P.

“God is a comedian, playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh.”... Voltaire

"Diplomacy is the practiced art of being able to confidently say 'nice doggie' until you find a rock" ... Tom Clancy

Any word on the FLT series units?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Any word on the FLT series units?

Not that I could find, so I went for 'shinny'! And I will likely swap the toggles for rotaries eventually... just couldn't wait...

Acer AMD Phenom II x 4 840T, 16 gb. memory, Zotac GTX580 Amp2 3GB, 40" Philips tv, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Combat Rudders , Cougar MFCD's w/ 21.5" LG monitor, DSD Track Master button box, 3rd. century Roman field comanders helmet w/ Track IR 5, Windows 7 Home P.

"Diplomacy is the practiced art of being able to confidently say 'nice doggie' until you find a rock" ... Tom Clancy

Hi all - we've officially released the FLT1 button controller for the flight sim fans of the world. Here are some photos:

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

Here's the link:

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/2015-flight---flt1.html

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

I have a button box for racing and an early edition of the FLT-1. I highly recommend bof em. The FLT-1 answers that nagging problem of not enuff buttons and switches to up the realism. Get one and you won't look back!

• Like 1

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

Ordered and Thanks.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Nice response time. Already shipped.

Nice response time. Already shipped.

Happy flying! Thank you! :pilotfly:

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Derek,

Been waiting for this. Order placed. Thanks for thinking of us "fly boys".:joystick:

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

This looks good aesthetics wise. I wonder what thought went into break down of the conponents (ie why 8 rockers and not 10, why 2 rotaries and not 1)

What functionality do you recomend to be mapped to the inputs?

Or well, I guess this is more question to end users.

Guys, how do you intend to map your unit?

So, how do you guys intend to map it?

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

I don't know for sure yet. I am probably going to see how/where best to mount it, and then figure out the best way to use it.

I really need a box for Kerbal Space Program, but this isn't it. ;)

Likewise, I don't know how I will map it until I've had the opportunity to test it all out. I currently have the TM Warthog stick and throttle plus use many sim inputs through my keyboard as well. It is replacing much of the keyboard use that makes the button box attractive to me. Plus I can transfer some of the buttons and switches in use for various functions on the warthog to the button box and free up those switches/buttons for other purposes that will further assist the HOTAS experience. I also think it will lessen some of the mouse pointer work in the cockpit, which always gives me fits as I have trouble moving that pointer around accurately to hardly visible buttons and switches while simultaneously flying and fighting the aircraft. Simple real life button/switchology will enhance my sim pleasure I'm certain. Really looking forward to putting the FLT-1 into service.

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

Hopefully I'll be able to order one in the next few months. have to wait til I get home and see what and how the pit is going to look like.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

• 3 weeks later...

Got your box yet?

I don't know for sure yet. I am probably going to see how/where best to mount it, and then figure out the best way to use it.

I really need a box for Kerbal Space Program, but this isn't it. ;)

Got mine today:thumbup: and am trying to determine just which functions I can assign to the "box" based on the various a/c modules:joystick:. Have you had an opportunity to get yours up and running, and if so, what type of use did you make of the rotaries? :dunno:

Mine arrived yesterday and after some 'self inflicted' grief I am mapping and it works just fine! Initially I've mapped for hud armament controls. Translates to cockpit and helios admirably.

What I'd love to sort out is mapping f1, f2,etc commands for coms as in take off, land, taxi and airport requests... no joy yet. I've searched for a thread to explain this but coming up empty.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Picksplitter

What I'd love to sort out is mapping f1, f2,etc commands for coms as in take off, land, taxi and airport requests... no joy yet. I've searched for a thread to explain this but coming up empty.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

You can't do that with this box. You have to specifically send the appropriate F key since the commands don't exist except when the menu is on screen.

What I'd love to sort out is mapping f1, f2,etc commands for coms as in take off, land, taxi and airport requests... no joy yet. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Picksplitter

Because these are a series of commands, can be mapped by using macros only. There are mainly two way to achieve this:

- a macro keyboard like Logitech G13, or any other similar device (forgot names for other models but they will appear on google search)

- a voice command software of any kind and assign a vocal command to a macro sequence (example: / -> F11 -> F8 -> F3)

A macro keyboard can be achieved with an Arduino too, but this means some more time to research, experiment and so on.

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

thanks cichlidfan / abburo.... the learning continues... :music_whistling:

DSD recommends either Xpadder, JoyToKey or SV mapper to map button presses to specific keypad functions. XPadder and J2K handle devices with up to 32 buttons, and SVMapper is 64+ J2K and SVMapper are free and we have a download here:

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/technical-guide.html

Xpadder is a few bucks and well worth it:

http://www.xpadder.com

With these remapping utilities it will be possible to map a specific button to "Non-Mappable" functions by making that button into a keypress (or macro).

Happy flying and thank you to all who have ordered a DSD Component!

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

These are quality button box indeed, I bought one early this Year (didn't know these FTL-1 were coming!) I'm happy with it.

If I could suggest something, it'd be great to have dual concentric rotary encoder with integrated momentary push button.

The shear number of rotary dials one needs to setup even one radio correctly is scary, most aircraft, civilian and military have to manage 3+ radios at the same time each with a dedicated rotary for MHz & KHz and sometimes even 100 of MHz. It would also be great for the handling of the most used GPS & for exemple AP (low rotary for ALT setting and upper rotary for Vertical Speed). For those into Civ simming you also need to a few more of these for every nav radios you manage that's usually 3 or 4+. There's no shortage of use for such rotary encoders.

ELMA-knobs.png

I think a button box with 3 in 1 double rotary buttons much like the rotary buttons found on civilian flight GPS would be a best seller without a doubt if it can be made at the same reasonable price tags. In fact if I can't find any in the coming months I'll probably build my own as com management is one of the biggest hassle in most sims.

ELMA-1.png

Edited by Vivoune

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Dual concentric rotary encoders made by Elma are 38 USD each for the assembly, and there are scant alternatives. It's unlikely we'd offer them. A component like that is well suited to the DIY man who is looking to make his build "just right". Thank you for using DSD Components.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

DSD recommends either Xpadder, JoyToKey or SV mapper to map button presses to specific keypad functions.

Thanks to Derek! I have gone with the xpadder... a little side trip to the slopes of hell all by itself... navigating that site is not for the faint of heart, nor is it easy for the 'old guy'.

It's doing what it's supposed to but not translating to the game... I suspect I now need to learn about 'associated files' (?).... anyway... hope springs eternal :cry:

Picksplitter