How do you use DCS World?

Murmur

329 members have voted

1. 1. How do you use DCS World?

• Mainly for combat operations
    • Mainly for non combat (civil) operations (i.e. focusing on systems operation and flight model)
    • Both

1) Mainly for military operations (including aircraft familiarization, training, etc.)

2) Mainly for civil operations (i.e. free flight, navigation, or just enjoying takeoff, landings, flying and systems operation)

3) I use it for both, or I'd use it for both if there were civil aircrafts

EDITED FOR CLARIFICATION

Edited by Murmur
Edited to make it less misleading.

combat of course. but if there were civil aircrafts like b-737, i would use them too

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I spend more time flying and enjoying the planes like Su-27, and not as much fighting. Fighting for me normally means getting shot down anyway :D

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

Using a "Combat Flight Simulator", to just "Fly", is like using a First Person Shooter, to walk along the jungle floor.

Are their logical reason for doing so? yes. One game engine might be better at jungle graphics giving the user an interesting view, sights and sounds in their version of a jungle. This enticing as it may be in the beginning, has little to offer in its longevity. As the user gets used to the newer or better appearance in said environs. After the "Honeymoon" state has run its course, their will be little to hold the users attention.

Flight dynamics in DCS products are superb as it is. Its ILS and IGI are unmatched so far. This leads again to longevity of the aforementioned systems. Offering the user little in the way of longevity. They are after all very similar in each module. Users of FSX enjoy a myriad of Jets and Planes that are part of the Flight Sim. keeping the users of that genre interested as they learn to fly each plane, this is enough for those who want to "Fly" passenger jets.

Combat Simmers are a different breed. The Technical aspects of the jet are only a part of the Simmers enjoyment and desire to engage in a DCS Product. Far more aspects of technicality are involved in the "Combat Sim." War Operations are so varied, the longevity far exceeds that of a "Flight Sim." Pulling off target rolling out of a line of AAA popping flares and chaff is a thrill unmatched in any "Flight Sim" ever created. Try finding an equal adrenaline inducing experience in flying a 747 with 274 passengers on their way to Hawaii for a conference on "The New Technology of Shoe manufacturing". Just doesn't quite do it, for me anyway.

Edited by AtaliaA1

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Using a "Combat Flight Simulator", to just "Fly", is like using a First Person Shooter, to walk along the jungle floor.

You're wrong, or better said, you should have added "for me", in that statement. As the results of this poll at the moment show, more than 50% of DCS World users, use it also for (or mainly for) civil flight simulation.

As a similarity, take supercars: they're designed (among other things) to maximize performance in acceleration and road course lap times. And yet, most of their owners never take them to drag races, nor track days, but just drive them just to enjoy their performance, sound, handling quality and allure on public roads (okay, also to show off :) ).

• Like 2

I do it all. I've flown a lot of non combat flights just for fun, especially in the P-51 and UH-1. My current computer + the gun smoke issue makes anything with the 50 cal guns hard to really use while shooting.

The MiG-21 I've played around making missions for, but the GCI is really kind of lacking. That doesn't really prevent it from taking part in missions, but it takes away one of its primary modes of employment. For the most part, I've been taking this plane up and then either practicing weapons use on dummy targets or just burning fuel learning to fly it and practice landings.

DCS is absolutely fantastic for free flight with AFM or better models despite lacking things like other air traffic and fully functional ATC. If there were aircraft like a 777 on offer I'd buy it without hesitation.

On the combat side, I mostly fly FC. I've exclusively been flying the F-15 since the PFM. Now that the Flanker has it too, I'm getting back into it. I still take both of these planes into non combat flights though. Ranging from refueling, to air show, to long ferry flights.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I agree - I can go kill 12 tanks with my Vikhrs, but the mission isn't over until I land - and just flying, navigating, and landing the helos can be as challenging as the combat part. Throw in some mechanical malfunctions from damage and/or poor weather and you have some sweat inducing moments. Last night I flew on a public server and my best memory of it wasn't the blowing stuff up, it was getting damaged, having my hydraulics knocked out, and having to land on my belly at the airfield to hopefully survive and repair.

Same goes for UH-1H and Mi-8 insertion missions - very tense and the flying is the lion's share of that feeling, not the combat. I really think there is far more crossover in the perceived different worlds of civilian flight sim enthusiasts and combat sim enthusiasts. That's why at PC Pilot I've been trying over the years to showcase how deep DCS products are because I think FSX type pilots would be amazed at how complex some of these DCS platforms are, and how nice DCS World in general is (terrain, atmospherics, lighting). Granted - DCS World isn't nearly as big as worldwide FSX coverage, but I don't think the two types of simmers have to be mutually exclusive.

BeachAV8R

I have not done the latter, but I do the former in DCS, ClOD and ROF, on a regular basis. Apparently, I am not alone. :)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I don't do combat, but only because I'm at the stage where I know how to operate the aircraft, but certainly not well enough to quickly react and recall training in combat situations. I mainly fly helicopters, and flying them correctly and smoothly is a challenge of itself. In future, I want to do more real combat.

Both and I am enjoying a lot flying around in formation with my son.

Both....

that's awesome buddy flying with your son:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

I love to cruise the unfriendly skies. I like doing touch and go's.....and landing in bad weather.

Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5GHz (cooler master hyper 212 evo CPU FAN), ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO (Intel LGA 1150) motherboard, 16GB PC2400 DDR3 RAM, ASUS STRIX GTX 970 4GB Video Card, Creative Soundblaster Z Pci-E Sound card, 750W Power supply, MS Force Feedback 2 Joystick, Trackir 5, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 surround sound.

I have voted for option 2.

I like operating the aircraft systems and having a general mess about with all the systems in the cockpit.

I also like the combat element, especially ground attack.

But most of all, my favourite is getting shot to bits and trying to make it back home with a severely damaged aircraft ,with a lot of systems and maybe even an engine out of action.

Edited by Motokiume

I have not done the latter, but I do the former in DCS, ClOD and ROF, on a regular basis. Apparently, I am not alone. :)

Exactly the point. The object was "Longevity". We all enjoy the "Eye Candy", upon the release of a new title or an update to the graphics engine. It's ability to hold that interest is limited though.

I have even started to enjoy just "Flying" again. Nvidias DSR is awesome as far as increasing eye candy. Seeing things from further away gives that reinvigorated feeling I had after the DCS graphics were updated. Lost it, got it back. ( as it were. )

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Last night I flew on a public server and my best memory of it wasn't the blowing stuff up, it was getting damaged, having my hydraulics knocked out, and having to land on my belly at the airfield to hopefully survive and repair.

This of course is typical of the "Combat Sim" genre. I guess U could have the 747 shot at by some rogue ex-CIA operative, to get that same experience in FSX .

They both do have their merits of course.

Edited by AtaliaA1

You're wrong, or better said, you should have added "for me", in that statement.

U R Kidding Right. Because that is exactly what I said. re-read the post dude. Really!!!

I thought I covered that with a journalistic bent. (i.e. not tacking sides but reporting in a manner of enlightenment for those not so involved with the merits of either genre.)

Edited by AtaliaA1

I use it a lot for 'civil' purposes in learning to fly the different high fidelity models and lately practicing the cobra, but for combat too, but mainly with the FC3 models and MiG-21. Not too much into the ground attack myself. But I think that there should be more into the civil areas, especially when the two new maps come out. Some light aircraft or helos would be awesome, just to mess around in, or even doing a cityspotting tour around Dubai or Vegas.

Boeing 737 NG instructor at Simulator Centrum in Bratislava, Slovakia

I do it all. I've flown a lot of non combat flights just for fun, especially in the P-51 and UH-1. My current computer + the gun smoke issue makes anything with the 50 cal guns hard to really use while shooting.

The MiG-21 I've played around making missions for, but the GCI is really kind of lacking. That doesn't really prevent it from taking part in missions, but it takes away one of its primary modes of employment. For the most part, I've been taking this plane up and then either practicing weapons use on dummy targets or just burning fuel learning to fly it and practice landings.

DCS is absolutely fantastic for free flight with AFM or better models despite lacking things like other air traffic and fully functional ATC. If there were aircraft like a 777 on offer I'd buy it without hesitation.

On the combat side, I mostly fly FC. I've exclusively been flying the F-15 since the PFM. Now that the Flanker has it too, I'm getting back into it. I still take both of these planes into non combat flights though. Ranging from refueling, to air show, to long ferry flights.

U must update that graphics card. Nvidias DSR is outstanding for DCS even in "Free Flights".