[RESOLVED] Fuel boost pumps

Vinny002

Well Vinny, try to takeoff in this configuration....

I have no technical data of the fuel system, but I guess the engine has its own fuel pump. This fuel pump is sufficient for start up, but does not provide enough fuel for high power settings.

Fox

p.s. Vinny you can use the "print (screen)" button for screenshots.

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

Well Vinny, try to takeoff in this configuration....

I have no technical data of the fuel system, but I guess the engine has its own fuel pump. This fuel pump is sufficient for start up, but does not provide enough fuel for high power settings.

Fox

Definitely a bug. No fuel from a dispenser fuel tank so no fuel for an engine. If the dispenser fuel tank pump doesn't work an engine hasn't fuel. I never heard about a special engine pump in the MiG.

The engine has it's own mechanically driven pump that should be able to get fuel from the dispenser tank to the engine.

However, getting to fuel to dispenser tank might be a bigger problem. There is a presurization system that uses bleedair to press the fuel out of the tanks, but it is usually operated together with the fuel pumps, so I am not sure if it the pressurization system is sufficient to bring enough fuel to the engine.

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

Definitely a bug. No fuel from a dispenser fuel tank so no fuel for an engine. If the dispenser fuel tank pump doesn't work an engine hasn't fuel. I never heard about a special engine pump in the MiG.

Well, you haven´t heared of a engine driven fuel pump, but I did.

http://www.topedge.com/panels/aircraft/sites/kraft/fuel.htm

That doesn´t mean this is a 100% trustworthy source, but it looks reasonable.

Check the DCS MiG-21 Manual. It describes the emergency procedure for drop of fuel pressure on page 169. It is the same in the RL Manual on page 186 para. 315.

And when the DC-generator fails, the procedure says something about the fuel boost system as well. DCS manual p.171, RL manual p.195

When you accelerate the engine to more than 95%N1 without the drain tank fuel pump on, the engine will flame out. But up to 95%N1 it will run. And this fits to the aforementioned emergency procedures

No, I don´t consider this as a bug, but a feature.

Fox

fuel.JPG.5a6b6a41bf975d37b3b1309ec0b1e42d.JPG

dcgen.JPG.8f8b3b94930c6e389d05c852acf7ef73.JPG

Spoiler

Well, you haven´t heared of a engine driven fuel pump, but I did.

http://www.topedge.com/panels/aircraft/sites/kraft/fuel.htm

That doesn´t mean this is a 100% trustworthy source, but it looks reasonable.

Check the DCS MiG-21 Manual. It describes the emergency procedure for drop of fuel pressure on page 169. It is the same in the RL Manual on page 186 para. 315.

Оk, I understood which thing you were talking about.

And when the DC-generator fails, the procedure says something about the fuel boost system as well. DCS manual p.171, RL manual p.195

When you accelerate the engine to more than 95%N1 without the drain tank fuel pump on, the engine will flame out. But up to 95%N1 it will run. And this fits to the aforementioned emergency procedures

Yes, I know that and that is logical.

Nevertheless, I think it's a bug.

Why that?

Fox

Well, I was talking with a man who seemed to know it quite good. He said it's impossible while the fuel system has gas blocks, need to use fuel booster pumps. Then you can fly without them (with limitations).

Well, I was talking with a man who seemed to know it quite good. He said it's impossible while the fuel system has gas blocks, need to use fuel booster pumps. Then you can fly without them (with limitations).

Sorry, but "talking with a man who seemed to know it quite good" is not such a good source.

Maybe Novak can clear this.

Fox

Spoiler

• 1 month later...

Here, check out this link: http://www.topedge.com/panels/aircraft/sites/kraft/fuel.htm

Afterburner-use with Main Pump in Off position can cause engine failure.

Suggesting that the engine can be used without the main pumps, just not in afterburner.

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

Here, check out this link: http://www.topedge.com/panels/aircraft/sites/kraft/fuel.htm

Suggesting that the engine can be used without the main pumps, just not in afterburner.

Ok, but the question is can the engine start up without activated fuel pumps. It's really interesting to me now.

Added. I mean fuel boost pumps of 1st and 3rd fuel tanks groups.

Upgrade. In the Russian side we were talking about starting engine up with fuel boost pumps disengaged and have agreed that it's possible to start up without those pumps. So, you guys "won".

Edited by Mode