Warthog AB detent - Push through mod?

DTWD

An engine does not respond in a linear way to throttle position. An aircraft does not respond in a linear way to control surface deflection. Even if you don't set any curves for controls, the aircraft will still respond to your inputs in a non-linear way. Otherwise the whole FM and engine modelling could be written in one evening.

The presence of the curves in joystick setup is not such a big deal that you think. And if you don't have joystick extension, then it's better to have some curves, even devs recommend that. But in the end it's a matter of personal preference.

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I know both engine and surfaces are not "designed" in a way that an angle of deflection, for instance, in a "raw" control system leads to a proportional response of the plane, that's an obvious matter due to the complex nature of the engineering (surfaces have complex shapes that respond differently depending on the angle, inertias, weights, situation, speed, etc.), same for the engine...however, what I meant is that in most "modern" planes such as those with "stability systems", they "should" somewhat let the "non-linear" side of things to the computers/systems and let the pilot side free of non-linearities...you can have a more "raw" control system in many planes but others using things like FBW should respond pretty much in a linear way, although the pilot's inputs movements of the stick dont necesarily translate in the same output movements in the control surfaces...that's why I think having a liner response for the input (joy/throttle) is best, that way you are not introducing a second level of non-linearity to the equation.

This is very noticeable, for example, when performing rolls...you can get used to a non-linear response, of course, but its much easier when you have a linear response for the input and some stability system that try to translate that linear input into a linear response.

just my experience :)

Take a look at my MODS here

I installed the new Warthog AB detent last night, it seemed to fit into the slot very well (super easy to pop in there but appeared to be seated well). I didn't have a chance to fly at all with it, but I did push the throttle around a little bit to test the feel of "pushing through" and it felt pretty solid -- doesn't take a lot of force to push through at all, but it is definitely noticeable that it's there.

I plan on doing some flying tonight so I will report back once I get my throttle curves on the F-15C in place and get some real flight use with this installed. So far, so good.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Used this for an hour to so last night, works exactly as expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Can you post a few photos?

Yeah I will throw a few up tonight when I get home from the office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

So, any updates to this project?

Try reading the last 2 pages...

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Sorry, I should perhaps have been a bit clearer, I was looking for pictures / STL files and I could not see any pictures or STL files (at least, that were posted recently).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Groundpounder extraordinaire

SPECS: i7-4790K, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 16 GB RAM, MSI GTX 980ti, Thrustmaster WARTHOG HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals, TrackIR 5

Here are two photos. This part doesn't have afterburner and reverse detent but has center detent. I'll need to make some minor corrections to it, I'll try to upload new model today.

I am not sharing my models so there will be no STL files.

QW3N5Eg.jpg

U8whzM4.jpg

however, what I meant is that in most "modern" planes such as those with "stability systems", they "should" somewhat let the "non-linear" side of things to the computers/systems and let the pilot side free of non-linearities...you can have a more "raw" control system in many planes but others using things like FBW should respond pretty much in a linear way

This is not true. For example, the raw electrical signal from the Hornet's stick is fed through a nonlinear ramp like this:

8rJOcpK.png

The roll axis gets a similar treatment. This is done in the Hornet for the same reason you do it to your flight sim controls: there is no natural aerodynamic feedback in the stick. You are attempting to create a favorable force gradient with the curve to reduce workload during precise nose-pointing maneuvers.

The real jet's flight controls also feature strong hydraulic artificial feedback and damping that we can't replicate with a desktop joystick, so some curve to achieve something usable is fair.

On topic... I bought this burner stop a few months ago and use it whenever I fly in DCS. It's great! If only all DCS airplanes featured a movable afterburner detent in the options menu...

Edited by aaron886

This is not true. For example, the raw electrical signal from the Hornet's stick is fed through a nonlinear ramp like this:

8rJOcpK.png

The roll axis gets a similar treatment. This is done in the Hornet for the same reason you do it to your flight sim controls: there is no natural aerodynamic feedback in the stick. You are attempting to create a favorable force gradient with the curve to reduce workload during precise nose-pointing maneuvers.

The real jet's flight controls also feature strong hydraulic artificial feedback and damping that we can't replicate with a desktop joystick, so some curve to achieve something usable is fair.

On topic... I bought this burner stop a few months ago and use it whenever I fly in DCS. It's great! If only all DCS airplanes featured a movable afterburner detent in the options menu...

Hey buddy - not sure if you've seen this thread or not, but it provides the user curves to get the AB set up to work with the detent for most planes :thumbup: Non-linear, too.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=182299

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

I don't know if everybody saw this but up to recently THIS was standard warthog throttle part.

That is the old version, I have a new one HERE. I'll remove old one as soon as I get more feedback on new part.

Waiting for the new version to come in.

Expect no problems with Buckeye's blessing on it.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

Waiting for the new version to come in.

Expect no problems with Buckeye's blessing on it.

Curious to hear your comparison when you get the redesigned one. I'm happy with mine (the new/updated version). It's not a huge detent by any means, it's easy for me to push through it or pull back over it, but it is definitely noticeable and it serves it's purpose very well. At first I thought I might want it to be a "steeper" or "bigger" detent, then I realized that woul make it nearly impossible for me to make small throttle adjustments at the top of of mil-power when flying formation. Thus, I think this is the perfect balance of being noticeable but also allowing for small throttle adjustments.

Also, it seems to be seated in the slot well for me, which I know what your biggest suggestion for refinement on the original version.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts :thumbup:

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

• 7 months later...
I don't know if everybody saw this but up to recently THIS was standard warthog throttle part.

That is the old version, I have a new one HERE. I'll remove old one as soon as I get more feedback on new part.

Just placed an order. Btw, the Warthog joystick support shaft that I ordered last year works a treat. Excellent work Debo.

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

• 7 months later...

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

Thanks for the link. :thumbup:

I simply do this. Much simpler, and keeps the throttle fairly linear.

At least with the stock AB detent, dunno about the various shapeways ones.

sswSD1M.jpg

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

• 2 years later...