Did I waste money on a 3dconnexion mouse?

Coming back to A10c from years and years ago...

(Trying, that is, to return to this sim...)

Alienware 64 win 7 laptop here.

Don't have room for a joystick.

I'm having a terrible time figuring out this thing.

It's a 3dconnexion Spacemouse Pro. --An amazing bit of hardware, but in my hands...it's beginning to feel like a waste of money.

I can get it to be "recognized"--that is I see it in the top collumn of the controls configuration, but I don't see any way to assign axes to the thing.

Does anyone have any suggestion or a place to go to find out about this thing?

Many thanks in advance.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win7 | Intel Core 2 Quad | Q8400 @ 2.66GHz | 2.67 GHz 3.37GB of RAM 60gig Samsung SSD| GTX 570

"Operation: Bull by the Horns" "Bull Run 2.0"

The space mouse requires the software to support it through it's SDK. It doesn't show up as a joystick as far as I know.

I think their website has a list of supporting software, most of it being what it was made for though, CAD, 3d modelling etc.

Thank you for your resonse. It really shouldn't be this difficult to simply assign X and Y axes(sp?) axisses.

I really appreciate the help.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win7 | Intel Core 2 Quad | Q8400 @ 2.66GHz | 2.67 GHz 3.37GB of RAM 60gig Samsung SSD| GTX 570

The buttons can be assigned directly in DCS. The axes are a bit complicated. They do not produce any joy stick signal. First you need a piece of software, interfacing the Space Mouse. 3dconnexion has a small description how to interface the device programmatically. You can use the HID support in the Windows API. On this way you get the axis and position signals. Now you can feed it into DCS. There are two ways. One way is to use the export.lua to poll your interface software periodically. The second way, which I use, is to generate Keyboard signals out of the axis signals to move the camera in the cockpit. It works perfect. I personally would not use the space mouse to control the aircraft. But this is up to the user if he feels well with that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great advice. I haven't given up hope--thanks to you gents.:thumbup:

Using the Windows API--seems like a solution, but I'm totally illiterate in Visual Basic.

After taking a look at PPJoy, I've opted for JoytoKey

http://download.cnet.com/JoyToKey/3000-2094_4-75220348.html

(For those who, down the road may be in my position with a 3d mouse).

I'll try my hand at making this work and report back.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've looked at the 3dconnexion Spacemouse Pro for extra axis to control the F-15C's Antenna and Elevation knobs. But if DCS can't see the rotaries on this device as axis inputs then I'll forget about it.

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

Alterscape --

So do you think that these 3dconnexion devices *will* work as axis inputs? Specifically in my case I want to use it for the F-15C Antenna and Elevation controls.

If you think it will then I'll buy one. I did read that the company has Beta (?) game drivers...

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

Define "work?" -- I think you could bind them, but I don't think it'd be usable. The antenna elevation controls expect a rotary (ie, you can turn the knob to some position and leave it alone). The SpaceMouse axes return to center, like a joystick handle. So if you wanted to hold your antenna at a certain elevation, you'd have to keep a hand on the 'puck.' Usability nightmare -- just buy an X55 or X52.

[edit]In case the OP is reading this, have you tried double-clicking on the intersection of the SpaceMouse column and the axis command row (eg: "pitch" or "throttle" or whatever -- the labels down the left side of the control screen) you want to bind and then twisting that axis on the spacemouse after the assign-axis window pops up? It just occured to me that since you're new you've maybe never bound any axis in DCS ever. Apologies if you already know this..[/edit]

Edited by Alterscape

• 4 years later...
The buttons can be assigned directly in DCS. The axes are a bit complicated. They do not produce any joy stick signal. First you need a piece of software, interfacing the Space Mouse. 3dconnexion has a small description how to interface the device programmatically. You can use the HID support in the Windows API. On this way you get the axis and position signals. Now you can feed it into DCS. There are two ways. One way is to use the export.lua to poll your interface software periodically. The second way, which I use, is to generate Keyboard signals out of the axis signals to move the camera in the cockpit. It works perfect. I personally would not use the space mouse to control the aircraft. But this is up to the user if he feels well with that.

Hi Towsim. This is exactly how I want to use my space mouse as well. At least until I can afford the trackir. Would you mind going into a bit more detail how this is done.

Thanks, Bill

You need to run the 3dConnection software.

This autodetects the running, in-focus app, and runs a profile for that app.

There is no way, inside the 3dConnection software, to modify the profile to do what you want. You must run a text editor over the profile and configure it by hand.

There is quite alot of information in the 3dConnection forums - but it is very spread out.

3dConnection removed the ability to set "gaming" configuration options from the GUI a few years back.