DCS Missiles Mod

Any chance someone could upload the newest version of this?

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Hello,

I am planning on making a 4.0 version with revised curves for a number of missiles which should improve the realism. More data has become available which I didn't previously have which sheds light on some assumptions. I'm not sure if the tweaks will be noticeable outside of benchmarking, but getting it right helps scratch an itch.

As for a time frame? Ideally I'm waiting for the 2.5 merger. ED has changed the libraries a couple of times which means it isn't a simple copy+paste job to update the mod. Hopefully with 2.5 they stop moving stuff around and it can settle down again.

If 2.5 does end up taking another 2 years, I'll get around to releasing it sooner.

• Like 1

Many thanks IASGATG, looking forward to this!

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

Hello Hello,

I am planning on making a 4.0 version with revised curves for a number of missiles which should improve the realism. More data has become available which I didn't previously have which sheds light on some assumptions. I'm not sure if the tweaks will be noticeable outside of benchmarking, but getting it right helps scratch an itch.

This should be front page news! I'm excited already!

[spoiler=PC SPECS]

Intel i5-8600k @3.60GHz

EVGA GTX 1070Ti

Windows 10

16GB RAM 3200 MHz

500 GB Samsung 850 SSD

2TB Seagate SSHD

Some cool LED fans that light up

• 5 months later...
Wow IASGATG, this could be a lot of fun to try out. Is it compatible with a mod manager and, if so, which one(s)?

It's currently incompatible with both versions of DCS. I'm still waiting on "The Great Merge" before I check to see how missile_data file(s) change and then update accordingly.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Any news on this MOD for 2.5.x IASGATG? :)

Hopefully ED will be pushing it in an official update soon, or at least something similar in terms of improvement :thumbup:

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Here it is, working with the current version of DCS.

Note that it isn't entirely super-realistic, but the relative performances between missiles are maintained. I will be making more tweaks to it to bring it to a better state of realism (missiles as I've edited them are a little over-powered in terms of maneuverability) and hopefully I'll get it out as a proper DCS mod so that you can install it without having to make the client not pure.

It's going to be a bunch of work, and I also want to include good documentation to explain what has been done and why.

Credit to IASGATG for doing a lot of work with the CFD and testing :)

Missiles Mod 4.2.zip

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Note that it isn't entirely super-realistic, but the relative performances between missiles are maintained. I will be making more tweaks to it to bring it to a better state of realism (missiles as I've edited them are a little over-powered in terms of maneuverability) and hopefully I'll get it out as a proper DCS mod so that you can install it without having to make the client not pure.

It's going to be a bunch of work, and I also want to include good documentation to explain what has been done and why.

Great. Same missiles affected?

"Missiles effected: AIM-120C, AIM-120B, AIM-7M, R-77, R-27ER, R-27ET, R-27R, R-27T"

Great. Same missiles affected?

"Missiles effected: AIM-120C, AIM-120B, AIM-7M, R-77, R-27ER, R-27ET, R-27R, R-27T"

All versions of AIM-9 and R-73 (changes to maneuverability), and possibly some of the AI weapons also - I don't recall right now but I can check later.

On my roadmap is to correct maneuverability (I have exaggerated it), as well as try to tweak CM rejection a bit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

All versions of AIM-9 and R-73 (changes to maneuverability), and possibly some of the AI weapons also - I don't recall right now but I can check later.

On my roadmap is to correct maneuverability (I have exaggerated it), as well as try to tweak CM rejection a bit.

So most of your tweeks is way different from IASGATG's values, don't you trust what he found or what is the reason behind changing so much of the parameters? :huh:

My tweaks include things that IASGATG did not work on - drag is according to what IASGATG has found, and those drag profiles are applied to the RF missiles.

Maneuverability tweaks are based more on my understanding of RL training kill criteria, which should be a bit more strict compared to actual missile capability. Whenever I get new data or gain better understanding of data on-hand, I revisit the mod.

So most of your tweeks is way different from IASGATG's values, don't you trust what he found or what is the reason behind changing so much of the parameters? :huh:

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks GGT! :thumbup:

Now where did that rep button go.....? :helpsmilie:

Current modules:

FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map......ah yes, forgot the Super Carrier! Shows you how often i fly these days....

Modules in waiting: F-14A, MiG-23, F-4U, F-8, Falklands Map

Wish list: South East Asia map, F-4J/N, A-6, F-15A/C, Su-27, Sea Harrier FRS.1, Mirage III, MiG-17.

How would a mod like this work on a non-IC server where one client has the mod, the server doesn't and the other clients doesn't either?

Whatever the answer is I'm guessing it's the same thing for the bomb-warhead mod and tweaks like the GAU8-dispersion mod and the likes?

Right now it wouldn't.

As a proper DCS mod, it might work just fine - ie. the modded missiles would have a different name and servers could simply include them or not.

How would a mod like this work on a non-IC server where one client has the mod, the server doesn't and the other clients doesn't either?

Whatever the answer is I'm guessing it's the same thing for the bomb-warhead mod and tweaks like the GAU8-dispersion mod and the likes?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry, you said non-IC server and I answered for the opposite. On a non-IC server it will work just fine if one client has it and one does not, but you will run into the following problem:

The client that has the missile mod will have everything appear fine to them.

The client without it will have the missiles move along in the same way as usual (without the mod), but if that client is the TARGET of the client with the missile mod, he will be destroyed before seeing the missile get close to him.

In other words, the client without the mod sees the old, slower missiles, but the accepted correct positions and damage are from the shooter. So, if PvP, don't mix. Not cool.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]