RS-2US launch authorization

Eldur

I did some "unnatural" tests and saw that I couldn't launch the RS-2US when locking something on the ground like it's done to fire the Kh-66. Is there some kind of LA it gets as soon as it locks an air target? I tried both air and ground positions of the leftmost switch and AA / S-24 selector positions. Technichally it shouldn't be able to tell what I'm locking and it should be able to come off the rail as soon as there's a radar beam as the technical guidance stuff is the same as in the Grom. So I think it should be possible to "misuse" those on ground targets. Needs a good aim though :)

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 1 month later...
I did some "unnatural" tests and saw that I couldn't launch the RS-2US when locking something on the ground like it's done to fire the Kh-66. Is there some kind of LA it gets as soon as it locks an air target? I tried both air and ground positions of the leftmost switch and AA / S-24 selector positions. Technichally it shouldn't be able to tell what I'm locking and it should be able to come off the rail as soon as there's a radar beam as the technical guidance stuff is the same as in the Grom. So I think it should be possible to "misuse" those on ground targets. Needs a good aim though :)

Yeah I can't get it to launch either, must be bugged as beam riding should allow firing at any time :joystick:

While this is not directly regarding the problem you have, there is a diffrent kind of problem behind the Kh-66 and RS-2US.

Both the Kh-66 and RS-2US where developed for the MiGs with the RP-21 radar.

The MiG-21Bis had the RP-22 radar.

There are a lot of diffrences, but the most significant changes that matter here are the frequency and the way the radar works (Glimmertracking (1) (RP-21) vs. Monopulse-Tracking (RP-22)). A lot of signal processing was changed to. Also the RP-22 could track targets that where 30° off-bore in all directions (as long as there is no ground in the background) where as with the RP-21 the target had to be straight ahead of you.

Now to the problem:

The RS-2US used the Glimmertracking (1) plus additionally by the radar sent, oriantation info to guide itselfe to target.

Now as the RP-22 uses a diffrent aquisation mode (monopuose-tracking), the RS-2US is not usable by that radar. (When adding wiring to the pylons you might have been able to fire it as a unguided missile. This was considered to be used by the Jak-25 and Su-9 against ground targets)

Basically the RS-2US was more or less replaced by the R-3R with semi-active radar seeker that was capable of locking up on the reflected signals of the radar by iself.

Against ground targets the RP-21 had to be brought into the fixed beam mode to fire the Kh-66.

The fixed beam mode was actually developed to range (!) airborne targets in jamming conditions. The inital desing did not send out oriantation information for missiles.

As the Kh-66 and RS-2US were introduced, the RP-21 complex was modified to send out oriantation info in the fixed beam mode to guide those missiles. This is also the reason why you have to fly and dive towards the target, because that oriantation info was constant.

The RP-22s fixed beam mode is very similar, however there where two major changes:

- The frequency has been increased from 2.4GHz to 3.2GHz.

- There was no oriantation info send. (this is belived by the source I am quoting (ex-MiG technican). It is a major IF, because there could have been modifcations to the radar, but at least the source does not belive so).

These changes had the following result: The RS-2US was definatelly not operatable together with the RP-22 radar and the Kh-66 might also has been unusable with the RP-22.

I unfortunatly lack further proof to confirm if the RS-2US was realy not usable with the MiG-21Bis, but the technical evidence points into that direction.

(1) This is the best translation of "Flimmerpeilung" I could come up with. I am not sure what the exact technical english term is.

Note: This is not a request to get the RS-2US removed from the DCS MiG-21Bis, it should just be an argumentation if the RS-2US was available on the real MiG-21Bis.

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled