Can't ALT-TAB out of the DCS since 1.2.10

Dustoff74

Don't know, if I am the only one, but couldn't find any other posts.

Since the update to 1.2.10 (I'm now on 1.2.10.32095) I can't ALT-TAB out of the game. Only thing that works is CTRL-ALT-DEL, open taskmanger, then I'm back on my desktop. If I maximize DCS again, ALT-TAB works afterwards.

Rock 'n' Roll!

Henning

Same here. Disabling Aero setting didn't help. I think i experienced it after installing the mig21. May be a coincidence.

(disabling aero setting does help in case one has to alt tab to get dcs in focus after loading a plane)

Edited by MatthlK

DCS update with Mig-21 coincides with NVIDIA driver and game experience update. There was even some sort of hype over Mig21 subforum about increased fps with new drivers, so I think lots of guys updated them.

The problem is that new NVIDIA Game experience version has something changed in its Shadowplay (screen capturing component), and that greatly messes up with apps, which are run without admin rights and are not in foreground. I suspect ShadowPlay is running with elevated permissions without providing UI access rights to processes with lower privilleges, and preventing propagation of keys strokes among them that way.

If I have Shadowplay enabled, TrackIR software does not see key presses for centering, Teamspeak does not react to keyboard based PTT buttons, games have problems alt+tab'ing out and in (sometimes DCS even stops reacting to keyboard at all after alt+tab'ing back). If I disable Shadow Play, everything works ok. Please note, I run mentioned software WITHOUT admin rights.

So, If you have NVIDIA card, have NVIDIA Game experience installed, try disabling ShadowPlay and test alt+tab'ing. If it solves the problem, give feedback to NVIDIA. I described the problem here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/775771/geforce-experience/geforce-experience-2-1-2-feedback-thread/post/4317393/#4317393

Wir sehen uns in Walhalla.

I think i have installed the nvidia drivers (344.11) one or two days before the Mig21 addon (not sure, so surely still a possible cause ;) ) and i'm sure i have disabled the "nvidia experience" stuff.

So I can't find any shadowplay option anywhere. Maybe it's there in the driver nevertheless and i can't see / influence it?

• 3 weeks later...

Got it with your help, thnx.

It does work, it's just a bit temperamental.

I find doing a ctrl-alt-del to get the task manger up, closing it and swapping back to DCS then makes alt-tabbing work as expected.

Hmm, that didn't quite work for me. What did work was I ctrl+alt+del for task manager, then minimize DCS from task manager. After that I was able to access the desktop again. Thanks for the tip!

-HawkEye79:smilewink:

| A-10C | Ka-50 | F-86 | Mig-15 | P-51D |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You guys who can't use Alt+Tab, Full Screen options is checked?

Mine is not, so no problem with Alt+Tab.

Edit: Actually what I have encountered in v1.2.10u1 & u2 was that I could go out via Alt+Tab, but couldn't come back via clicking on DCS icon or Alt+Tab again. I needed to hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and select DSC and click Switch To... I didn't try this for update#3 yet.

Edited by Devrim

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

• 1 month later...

I have this problem as well.

Alt tab from the shell or from the server browser is fine, but alt tab once in game sometimes works and sometimes causes DCS to crash.

Unfortunatley I have recently started playing again and at the same time I have purchased a new graphics card (GTX970 - unrelated, I am also experiencing a few graphical glitches), so it's impossible for me to pin the issue down as to whether it is DCS version related or graphics card/driver related.

Disabling fullscreen is not a suitable solution given that more people are going to be using gsynch, which requires fullscreen. If we use the windowed solution then DCS can either be gsynch compatible, or it can be alt-tab compatible, but not both.

Same here

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Run in Windowed Mode(uncheck Full Screen Optiont) to alt tab in MP without crashing.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs