Kneeboard Builder (windows app)

AlaskanGrizzly

Hi there! :)

I have a problem to convert some of "Chucks Tutorials" in the right (landscape) format. Anytime i try with custom size´s, the result end in a normal (portrait) view.

Does anyone of you have an idea what I'm doing wrong, or explain the "right" steps?

Thx 4 help

Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X @ 4.7 MHz            Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 AORUS Elite AX    Module: 64 GB Corsair Venegance DDR5 @ 3000        Video: RTX 4090 PALIT GameRock OC 24 GB

Monitor: SAMSUNG U28E590 @ 4K                      Other: HP Reverb G2 and WD Black SN850X                    The answers is ... 42!

It probably depends on what kind of solution you would be satisfied with. The first issue is that the ratio (height and width) of the pages you wish to import into your kneeboard need to have the same ratio as your kneeboard window, otherwise that page will be squeezed down in one direction.

I'm not sure I understand what is occurring with the landscape pages. Are they being turned 90° or squeezed down?

In either case, what you need to do is basically extract those pages first and put them into a format which matches your kneeboard window.

Probably the simplest solution would be to open the guide in Acrobat Reader on full screen with the largest view in which everything is displayed, and make a screenshot of the page. Then use a graphics editing program to cut the screenshot into two halves, or crop them to left and right sides using a crop ratio equal to your kneeboard window ratio. Then resize these two halves to the size you need. Then import the two halves into your custom kneeboard.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

To delete a kneeboard;

Click "Create Custom Kneeboard"

> "Select Aircraft" > delete the "Available Groups" items one at a time.

Hi Chic, Yes! That was it issue. Many thanks :thumbup:

So, I spoke too soon. I deleted the P-51D Custom Kneeboard, and in missions I had created and injected a Custom Kneeboard into worked as expected. Both the graphics I added to the Custom Kneeboard appear, as well as the dynamic map pages.

Now however, when running the missions in the Charnwood Campaign, I do not have a kneeboard at all. I did not change the missions in any way, and when I open one I find it has a Kneeboard folder with images in it.

However, when I start one of the missions as a single mission, by clicking "Mission" and then navigating to where the campaign missions are, and selecting for example Mission 1, when I start the mission, I have no kneeboard at all. It's as if Kneeboard Builder is saying somewhere, the default kneeboard for the P-51D has been deleted, therefore show no kneeboard ever.

Does anybody have a tip, how to fix this?

EDIT: And to make things worse, I was looking around in '..\Saved Games\DCS.openalpha\' and found '..\Saved Games\DCS.openalpha\Data\Kneeboard Builder Config\'. So as a quick fix attempt, I moved this folder off to a safe location and started DCS and started the first Charnwood Campaign mission, and now the entire P-51D cockpit is missing!! :mad:

How do I uninstall this software and get DCS back to working the way it's supposed to work?

Edited by Captain Orso

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

So, I spoke too soon. I deleted the P-51D Custom Kneeboard, and in missions I had created and injected a Custom Kneeboard into worked as expected. Both the graphics I added to the Custom Kneeboard appear, as well as the dynamic map pages.

Now however, when running the missions in the Charnwood Campaign, I do not have a kneeboard at all. I did not change the missions in any way, and when I open one I find it has a Kneeboard folder with images in it.

However, when I start one of the missions as a single mission, by clicking "Mission" and then navigating to where the campaign missions are, and selecting for example Mission 1, when I start the mission, I have no kneeboard at all. It's as if Kneeboard Builder is saying somewhere, the default kneeboard for the P-51D has been deleted, therefore show no kneeboard ever.

Does anybody have a tip, how to fix this?

EDIT: And to make things worse, I was looking around in '..\Saved Games\DCS.openalpha\' and found '..\Saved Games\DCS.openalpha\Data\Kneeboard Builder Config\'. So as a quick fix attempt, I moved this folder off to a safe location and started DCS and started the first Charnwood Campaign mission, and now the entire P-51D cockpit is missing!! :mad:

How do I uninstall this software and get DCS back to working the way it's supposed to work?

My apologies for the problems your are having. To clear all modified files back to their defaults go to Options -> Preferences and check the 'Lite Mode' option and close Kneeboard Builder. That should restore the original files. If it still doesn't work, you will need to run a DCS World Repair to restore the affected config files.

One of the features I need to add to Kneeboard Builder is a better 'reset' function.

The Custom Kneeboard Creation using Kneeboard Builder doesn't modify any of the base DCS World config files or any of the base files for any of your modules. The only folders it makes any changes to is the .../Saved Games/{DCS VERSION}/Kneeboard folder or the default kneeboard directory (I can't remember the path at the moment) if you are adding images there.

However, customizing the Kneeboard Settings (Options -> Kneeboard Settings) will modify the init.lua file for the selected aircraft. (.../DCS World/Mods/aircraft/{Aircraft Module}/Scripts/Cockpit) Or a similar path I think

Sometimes a DCS World update will require a newer version of the init.lua for some of the aircraft, but Kneeboard Builder continues to use the old one and weird things happen.

I am not sure what things would change based solely on a campaign. I know the Charnwood campaign uses kneeboard images added directly to the missions, so maybe that has something to do with it. However, I have not had any issues yet using a custom kneeboard when flying Charnwood missions.

I can assure you, that you are wrong about at least one thing. As I stated in my previous post, I found '..\Saved Games\DCS.openalpha\Data\Kneeboard Builder Config\', which when I deleted, suddenly in-game I had no cock-pit.

Simply from my experience with the P-51D, the issue is than if the custom kneeboard for that AC is deleted, no kneeboard at all is displayable. Please have a look into that.

I got my installation to work again, by deleting '..\Saved Games\DCS.openalpha\Data\Kneeboard Builder Config\', uninstalling my mods (no biggy with OvGME) and then doing a repair-run.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

• 3 weeks later...

I have watched the introduction video, what I wonder is, is this kneeboard always in flat 2D? We cannot put it in 3D somewhere in the cockpit? My goal would be to put the kneeboard where it should be, in BR, on my knee, or maybe on the left side of the cockpit so I just have to turn my head to view it.

Thanks

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

Hello,

I got a problem, when i click the save button in the preference, juste after set my DCS World Install Directory on the correct path. The app just crash... After that it's impossible to start the app. It always crash at the splash screen...

If i choose Open Alpha, it's working... But not for the release.

EDIT: i got this error ({"L'accès au chemin d'accès 'C:\\Program Files\\Eagle Dynamics\\DCS World\\Mods\\terrains\\CaucasusBase\\Kneeboard_orig' est refusé."} System.UnauthorizedAccessException)

Edited by esequiel

I had this working fine last week. This week, I decided to manually move my DCS installs to make room for the impending release of v2.5. Now I can't seem to get it to accept the new paths and it gives the following Error:

DSC World not installed at bin\dcs.exe

I have fully deleted Kneeboard builder in the hopes that it would snoop around to find it, but it hasn't found it. Is there a registry entry specifically that it looks for to define the correct install path? The path box defining the path to the DCS install remains blank after I hit save and re enter the preferences.

Edited by Markeebo

I had this working fine last week. This week, I decided to manually move my DCS installs to make room for the impending release of v2.5. Now I can't seem to get it to accept the new paths and it gives the following Error:

DSC World not installed at bin\dcs.exe

I have fully deleted Kneeboard builder in the hopes that it would snoop around to find it, but it hasn't found it. Is there a registry entry specifically that it looks for to define the correct install path? The path box defining the path to the DCS install remains blank after I hit save and re enter the preferences.

Look for the referenced registry key(s):

kJ6BROe.jpg

Make the "Path" string value whatever the path to your DCS installation is now.

Win 10 | i7 4770 @ 3.5GHz | 32GB DDR3 | 6 GB GTX1060

Look for the referenced registry key(s):

kJ6BROe.jpg

Make the "Path" string value whatever the path to your DCS installation is now.

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, that's not it. After reading your post, I had hoped that it was because forgot to reboot after I changed those exact values to reflect the new locations. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. Too easy.

Perhaps AlaskanGrizzly can provide some insight as to what and where....

Markeebo

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Edited by Markeebo

Following update of open beta to 2.5, my Kneeboard Builder will not run.

The kneeboard is present when running, but has moved to the default position, behind my Helios display, rather than on my dedicated kneeboard monitor.

I am unable to reset the profile, because I cannot enter Kneeboard Builder.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or is suffering from similar problem?

Following update of open beta to 2.5, my Kneeboard Builder will not run.

The kneeboard is present when running, but has moved to the default position, behind my Helios display, rather than on my dedicated kneeboard monitor.

I am unable to reset the profile, because I cannot enter Kneeboard Builder.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or is suffering from similar problem?

Delete the folder “CaucasusBase” from “…\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains” and Kneeboard Builder should work normally.

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, that's not it. After reading your post, I had hoped that it was because forgot to reboot after I changed those exact values to reflect the new locations. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. Too easy.

Perhaps AlaskanGrizzly can provide some insight as to what and where....

Markeebo

I believe I have Kneeboard Builder setup to look up the DCS install path using the uninstall registry key for DCS World. I don't exactly remember why at the moment. I am also away from my computer so can't tell you where exactly that registry key is located, but I will look it up when I get home.

I believe I have Kneeboard Builder setup to look up the DCS install path using the uninstall registry key for DCS World. I don't exactly remember why at the moment. I am also away from my computer so can't tell you where exactly that registry key is located, but I will look it up when I get home.
Thanks! I'll have a look today when I get home as well. If I find it, I'll report back.

EDIT: I'm at a loss. I cant seem to locate the uninstall path in the registry. Im not the sharpest tool in the shed though. Perhaps someone else can take a look.

Markeebo

Edited by Markeebo

Thanks! I'll have a look today when I get home as well. If I find it, I'll report back.

EDIT: I'm at a loss. I cant seem to locate the uninstall path in the registry. Im not the sharpest tool in the shed though. Perhaps someone else can take a look.

Markeebo

Here is the path to the DCS World OpenBeta uninstall registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\DCS World OpenBeta_is1

Here is the path to the DCS World OpenBeta uninstall registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\DCS World OpenBeta_is1

Thanks for checking. I do NOT have a DCS World inside of the uninstall section.

Perhaps that's WHY kneeboad builder is flipping out? It's actually now just CTD so since in installed v2.5 OB.

I'll happily add the key if you provide the data.

I managed to get the registry entries from a friend and I added them to mine and changed the referenced directories to my own. I am only running v2.5 Beta converted from a stable release of v158. When I launch, I get the following errors

First:

Application: KneeboardBuilder.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

Exception Info: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32, System.String)

at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(System.String, System.String, Boolean, Boolean)

at System.IO.FileInfo.CopyTo(System.String, Boolean)

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.CleanDefaultKneeboard()

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.CreateDefaultGroups()

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.Initilization()

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel..ctor()

at KneeboardBuilder.Views.MainView..ctor()

Exception Info: System.Windows.Markup.XamlParseException

at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.RewrapException(System.Exception, System.Xaml.IXamlLineInfo, System.Uri)

at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.Load(System.Xaml.XamlReader, System.Xaml.IXamlObjectWriterFactory, Boolean, System.Object, System.Xaml.XamlObjectWriterSettings, System.Uri)

at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.LoadBaml(System.Xaml.XamlReader, Boolean, System.Object, System.Xaml.Permissions.XamlAccessLevel, System.Uri)

at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.LoadBaml(System.IO.Stream, System.Windows.Markup.ParserContext, System.Object, Boolean)

at System.Windows.Application.LoadBamlStreamWithSyncInfo(System.IO.Stream, System.Windows.Markup.ParserContext)

at System.Windows.Application.DoStartup()

at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1_0(System.Object)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)

at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)

at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)

at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)

at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)

at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)

at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)

at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)

at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)

at KneeboardBuilder.App.Main()

Second:

Faulting application name: KneeboardBuilder.exe, version: 1.7.0.1, time stamp: 0x5a28958c

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.15063.0, time stamp: 0x461a0ff5

Exception code: 0xe0434352

Fault offset: 0x0000000000069e08

Faulting process id: 0xe1c

Faulting application start time: 0x01d39bd1a687f9a0

Faulting application path: F:\Kneeboard Builder\KneeboardBuilder.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: 6bee23e7-7d4c-479b-b209-ac0aef7bc09e

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Markeebo,

Delete the folder “CaucasusBase” from “…\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains”. It is left over from the old openbeta and is not needed. That should stop the crash.

This worked for me but I noticed that just Renaming “CaucasusBase” isn't enough.

Delete it like AG says.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

This worked for me but I noticed that just Renaming “CaucasusBase” isn't enough.

Delete it like AG says.

Initially, I just moved it to my desktop in case it caused something to ripple downstream. It's now deleted. I appreciate everyone's help.

Markeebo

Pro Tip - don't be a noob and remove the Caucasus folder instead of CaucasusBases, you lose the terrain set and it does not go to Recycle Bin, just gone.

Have not figured out yet how to recover it so open to suggestions.

'Gimp

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A-4E | F-5E | F-14B | F/A-18C | AV-8B NA | UH-1H | FC3 | Yak-52 | KA-50 | Mi-8 | SA-342

i7 8700K | GTX 1070 Ti | 32GB 3000 DDR4

FAA Comm'l/Instrument, FAST Formation Wingman, Yak-52 Owner/Pilot

Pro Tip - don't be a noob and remove the Caucasus folder instead of CaucasusBases, you lose the terrain set and it does not go to Recycle Bin, just gone.

Have not figured out yet how to recover it so open to suggestions.

'Gimp

Ooff