Long range A-A missiles availabale?

Qosmius

Hi. so i am just curious if there is any plans for Long range A-A missiles being availabale to players.

The SRM and medium missiles (aim 120 and r27) are fun to use. but theyr range isnt exactly very impressing with the current build. i hope they get more range in the future.

but i would also like to see some long range missiles. but ofcourse in limited quantity.

i know that for example the tomcat has an aim 57 i think it is called? it has an insane range compared to the aim 120s.

what long range missiles you ask? any long range missiles that can be carried by fighter jets ofcourse

Well the problem is, those long range missiles are in game already but they are not weapons any of the flyable aircraft can operate.

Yeah, Tomcat did carry AIM-54 Phoenix, but it is not one of the platforms player can fly in DCS, same goes for R-33 and MiG-31.

Also, those missiles tend to have those crazy ranges against non maneuvering targets, not fast and agile fighters. In a fighter vs fighter situation, AIM-120C and R-27ER are about as long as you'll get (well Meteor will have longer range than both yet will still be good against agile targets, but if I'm not mistaken it's not yet in service or is barely about go into service).

Edit :

To clarify, I'm not saying heavy and long range missiles are totally worthless against fighters, they would work, but their range with any meaningful probability of kill would reduce to about same as medium range missiles, and they would be easier to out maneuver in comparison to MRMs.

Edited by WinterH

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

You're not flying a tomcat. The only time an F-15 has carried an AIM-54 was after the AIM-54 was decomissioned, and was mounted NASA's F-15 for scientific testing :)

There will be no other air to air weapons available to you other than what the playable aircraft can carry.

i know that for example the tomcat has an aim 57 i think it is called? it has an insane range compared to the aim 120s.

what long range missiles you ask? any long range missiles that can be carried by fighter jets ofcourse

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

well. ok then, but are the missiles right now in its final state?

it feels to me that the medium range missiles has a very low range. im not sure if they are supposed to be like that. but you need to be like at 7nm range to be able to hit enemi fighters with an aim 120

Many people have brought this up. Missiles, especially the 120, behave very strangely. The 120 is not nearly as effective as its real world counterpart. I'm really hoping ED will fix this issue with missiles. Its one of the most important aspects of any combat flight sim.

The ASAT bird was launched, successfully, once, and never used again.

It was this missile: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASM-135_ASAT

The F-15 never, ever carried the Phoenix. Except for NASA's F-15, but that's not a combat load :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda