F-86F Sabre Skins - Combined Threads

drPhibes

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't decided yet if I'll release these separately, or as part of a 1 Air Division super-duper NATO skin pack... ;)

Most RCAF Sabre squadrons serving NATO in Europe and the U.K. arrived with pretty extravagant squadron markings. Just before the old Sabre Mk.2's and 4's were replaced overseas with the more potent Mk.5, the RCAF decided to standardize things a bit.

Each Fighter Wing was to be identified by coloured nose and tail stripes with a black border.

1 Wing = Red

2 Wing = Yellow

3 Wing = Blue

4 Wing = White

Individual squadron art would be in the form of a badge design on each side of the nose just aft of the gun blast pane.

Not long after the Mk.5 arrived in Europe a decision to camouflage the airplanes was made and the Wing ID stripes were dispensed with. Squadron art moved to the upper fin.

Sabre Mk.5 23058 of No. 421 "Red Indian" Squadron, 2 Fighter Wing, RCAF Station Gros Tenquin, France, circa 1954.

dcs2014-08-2512-08-59-51_zps88eaf6fd.jpg~original

dcs2014-08-2512-09-32-03_zps5a73e9ae.jpg~original

Sabre Mk.5 23132 of No. 427 "Lion" Squadron, 3 Fighter Wing, RCAF Station Zweibrücken, West Germany, circa 1954.

dcs2014-08-2515-13-56-20_zpsb40ed670.jpg~original

Edited by jocko417

jocko417 looks amazing

thnks :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IAF Bell205

IAF Anafa

-----------------------

DCS World Modules: A-10C, FC3, MiG-21BiS, F-86, P-51, KA-50, UH-1H Huey, Mi-8, M2000K, Gazal, Bf109, Mig-15, Hawk and NTTR

-----------------------

My System - ASUS Maximus HERO iiiv, CoolMaster 120 Sadion Plus, I7 -6700K @4.0, G.Skill ddr4 16GB ram, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 , PSU Seasonic X-650W, OCZ 150 500Gb ssd drive X2, Seagate 7200 1T X2.

-------------

One thing to keep in mind is that you lose the option of the default skin if you install new ones, since the default isn't actually an option in the menu, even when it's the only one available.

Fix is probably dead easy, someone know?

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

One thing to keep in mind is that you lose the option of the default skin if you install new ones, since the default isn't actually an option in the menu, even when it's the only one available.

Fix is probably dead easy, someone know?

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2144431&postcount=101

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

[VMF-343.thumb.jpg.9c3b522aabafa96b815c95aeda9ea467.jpg Crazyeddie, I know this is a big request, but could you possibly do a skin for the attached FJ4. This is VMA-343. It was the first squadron I was assigned to at MCAS El Toro in 1960. It was a "transitional" squadron, that's why it was so small. We were sending the FJ4's to the reserves at Olathe Kansas and when it was all done the squadron was again disbanded and we all went to other operating squadrons, most with A4D-2N Skyhawks. If it's not a task you want to take on. I understand, but it would make this old Marine's DCS involvement even that much more enjoyable. By the way, that's me 5th from the left 2nd row standing. Hard to believe I was once 18 years old:D Thanks.

Edited by Chief1942
Correct picture

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

Chief

One old ex Marine cannot refuse another ... I think it's a rule ... or it should be !!!!

I am going away for a few days but will have a go at it when I get back, if you have any images post them for reference, and I will see what I can find as well.

The image you show is an F3-J Fury, is it the Fury you want, or an F4 Phantom. If it is the Phantom that might take a bit longer, I will have to find my old F4 stuff and recreate some of the templates I had when I did those.

Eddie

Edited by crazyeddie

Hey Semper FI! and thanks for the response. The plane in the pic I posted is an FJ4-B. If that one Marine's head wasn't in the way you could see that stenciled on the fuselage above the BuAIR Number on the aft fuselage under the "flying elevator". We had about thirty of those birds in VMA-343 and in the picture you can see the number of pilots we had (I recollect 10) in the squadron. We had pilots fly one plane, park it and simply walk to another and take it for a hop. The actual number of flying hours was important to those pilots and they availed themselves of the opportunity that came with being in VMA-343. I have a couple of our sqaudron patches around somewhere. You might want to use one as a "graphic" add-on to the fuselage although the aircraft in the photo is what they all looked like. Pretty plain and straight forward.

If you go here you can get more info on the plane plus some line drawings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_FJ-4_Fury#Specifications_.28FJ-4.29

I appreciate whatever you can do with this in light of having to use the F-86F as a model, but with these old eyes if I squint real hard I can actually see the planes I crawled all over in my youth. The confusion between the F4 and FJ4 I've corrected. My fault. We did get F4 Phantoms while I was at El Toro. Massive aircraft! but I never was in one of those outfits. I await your return and look forward to your efforts.

Edited by Chief1942

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

I made an unofficial layered template that should help until BST releases the official one.

Skate, I'm sure you've answered this many times but I'm having trouble finding it....how might one get a hold of your template? :D

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey Semper FI! and thanks for the response. The plane in the pic I posted is an FJ4-B. If that one Marine's head wasn't in the way you could see that stenciled on the fuselage above the BuAIR Number on the aft fuselage under the "flying elevator". We had about thirty of those birds in VMA-343 and in the picture you can see the number of pilots we had (I recollect 10) in the squadron. We had pilots fly one plane, park it and simply walk to another and take it for a hop. The actual number of flying hours was important to those pilots and they availed themselves of the opportunity that came with being in VMA-343. I have a couple of our sqaudron patches around somewhere. You might want to use one as a "graphic" add-on to the fuselage although the aircraft in the photo is what they all looked like. Pretty plain and straight forward.

If you go here you can get more info on the plane plus some line drawings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_FJ-4_Fury#Specifications_.28FJ-4.29

I appreciate whatever you can do with this in light of having to use the F-86F as a model, but with these old eyes if I squint real hard I can actually see the planes I crawled all over in my youth. The confusion between the F4 and FJ4 I've corrected. My fault. We did get F4 Phantoms while I was at El Toro. Massive aircraft! but I never was in one of those outfits. I await your return and look forward to your efforts.

Chief

Okay mate, I can do this for you when I get back, wont take long. I might have to guess at a few things but overall the placing of letters etc was pretty standard. I could not find a single picture reference for VMA 343 apart from the image you already posted, but that will help.

Eddie

75 Squadron RAAF " Black Diamonds" work in progress, there seems a glitch in the skin because a "notching "effect occurrs on the belly band at the top of the fuselage. Not sure theres anything i can do for that at the moment, also numbering should be on the nose, very hard to locate the spot and set numbers neatly. The 'Diamond" tail insignia is valid , as also they had a "TopHat" as well.

Screen_140828_174430_zps106dd5fa.jpgWork in progress.

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

Skate, I'm sure you've answered this many times but I'm having trouble finding it....how might one get a hold of your template? :D

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=128647

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

75 Squadron RAAF " Black Diamonds" work in progress, there seems a glitch in the skin because a "notching "effect occurrs on the belly band at the top of the fuselage.

The "notching" might be how your stripe is mapped near the seam between the top fuselage strip and the fuselage sides. There is a gap between these textures, although it's hard to see on the default skin as it's all one colour. Same thing happens with the ailerons, flaps, and rudder. Makes camo patterns a bit... challenging. ;)

Edited by jocko417

Will sure be nice to get the official template when available, there's a lot of small bits that are hard to find when I can't get the model viewer to work :-/

Agreed, Skatezilla did a fantastic job on the template, but I hope we get an official one with UVWs soon. Im working on some Norwegian skins and some of them have three different colors on the nose, which is a real pain to match up when you can't really see what you're painting over.