VEAO Spitfire Mk XIV Dev Diary

Pman

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you guys, very nice to hear your feedback.

Love the shot, thanks. Nice attention to detail. Just curious - were the ex-ETO transferred Spits ever repainted to Dark Earth/Dark Green scheme, or did it apply only to factory new ones intended to ship to SEAC from the get go?

Art, in all honesty, this is something I've been trying to find out! A lot of the period photos from these squadrons that I have seen do show the over painted roundels, so I would assume that most of them stayed in the standard Grey/Green. However, there are a few restored Spits in SEAC markings that are in Dark Earth and Dark Green - I'd be very interested to know if anybody has any solid information that could help in this matter...

Virtual Horsemen - Right Wing (P-51)  - 2008... 

Virtual Ultimate Fighters - Lead (P-47) - 2020...

It's all happening ;) Basic weathering is down, now it's on to the bespoke stuff that will be different for each aircraft :)

Out of curiosity, are you modeling specific aircraft? Or are you modeling families of liveries, where we'll be able to adjust the squadron and serial/Bu/BORT numbers or whatever in the mission editor?

Can 10 or 20 of us each have a uniquely-marked aircraft from the same squadron?

Out of curiosity, are you modeling specific aircraft? Or are you modeling families of liveries, where we'll be able to adjust the squadron and serial/Bu/BORT numbers or whatever in the mission editor?

Can 10 or 20 of us each have a uniquely-marked aircraft from the same squadron?

At the minute, I am texturing specific aircraft. However, there is nothing stopping me doing 'generic' squadron aircraft which you could add your own markings to later. For example, the SEAC skin would have the correct roundels, white bands and tail flash, but no squadron markings. With regards to the bort numbers and being able to edit them in the mission editor, I simply don't know - I'm merely the texture artist and that kind of thing is out of my domain unfortunately.

Good news - Pman said yes!

So, here's RN218. We know these Spitfire XIVs were in Europe before being transferred to SEAC. As they didn't have time to totally repaint the aircraft, the European roundels were overpainted with fresh 'Dark Green' and the SEAC roundels applied on top. This was done in quite a rush, so you will see where the fresh olive drab has pealed a little, due to poor preparation before spraying.

Screen_161103_202825.bmp

Tsk. You could have made it a sneaky shot through the canopy so we could see inside the cockpit ! :)

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

Love the shot, thanks. Nice attention to detail. Just curious - were the ex-ETO transferred Spits ever repainted to Dark Earth/Dark Green scheme, or did it apply only to factory new ones intended to ship to SEAC from the get go?

Hi Art,

I've been talking to a friend of mine who's a guru on all things Spitfire. He seems to think that there was a lot of Spitfire's diverted from the ETO to Burma (Hence the overpainted roundels), in the grey/green scheme. He also said that new Spitfire's from the factory destined for SEAC were painted in the Dark Earth/ Dark Green scheme.

As before, I'd be very interested to see some sort of documentation if anybody has it! As always, the Mk XIV paintschemes thread is there for people to post skin requests or ideas - I can't promise I will do them all, but I'm always on the look out for interesting markings.

All the best,

Rob

Im not a Fan of the Bubble on the Spit... lol.

I like the older ones :-)

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

That makes us two :D. And because of that, last question to the Team from me - I thought that in the very initial stage of development, the traditional "fuselage'd" XIV was planned (do I recall early screens and vid properly?), and now we can see a bubbletop one. Is it the final-decision variant then, or is the early XIV still a possibility for the future?

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Neither was Ginger Lacey, OC No 17 Sqn in Burma who refused acceptance of such aircraft that 'were not proper Spitfires' and demanded the high fuselage version as replacements. Go figure!

- 'The Dog's Rollocks' - [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] is a water cooled behemoth :

i9 9900K@5GHz/RTX 2080Ti/32 Gb 3600MHz RAM/M.2 NVMe onboard drives/System driving Pimax 5K Plus/TM Warthog/MFG Crosswind/Gametrix Jetseat

Beautiful!!

Ugh! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

This one not so much for me...(Not the Spit but the skin).

But then, Im a Yank...what do I know?

"Dont hate me because I'm beautiful".

Edit: Beholder = Beer-holder!

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Always thought it was Beer Holder not Beholder???? Don't know why.

Ha! Works for me...can be one in the same I suppose...:beer:

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Well, if I ever lower my standards and fly the 109 or 190 I look forward to sneaking up behind you :D

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

Jeffrey Quill, the famous Supermarine test pilot, said "the Mk XIV turned out to be the best of all the fighter variants of the Spitfire."

And he should know!

Apparently, it was more of a challenge to fly than the Mk IX, for example, mainly due to the huge amount of extra power available to the pilot; however there was a marked improvement in performance, as one would expect. :thumbup:

Happy landings,

Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

My grandfather served with 54th squadron who I believe eventually transitioned to the XIV. During his time in Australia he mainly worked on MkV Spitfires Brown & Green with the dark blue & white roundels and the Vokes air filters. Probably not everyone's favourite livery but to me I think those spitfire Vs looked wonderful.

Edited by westr

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

My grandfather served with 54th squadron who I believe eventually transitioned to the XIV. During his time in Australia he mainly worked on MkV Spitfires Brown & Green with the dark blue & white roundels and the Vokes air filters. Probably not everyone's favourite livery but to me I think those spitfire Vs looked wonderful.

I love all Spitfires! I saw a Mk Vc with the trop filter flying once, fantastic to see - I wish she was still around in the UK.

I love all Spitfires! I saw a Mk Vc with the trop filter flying once, fantastic to see - I wish she was still around in the UK.

Stick around, global warming is coming :lol:

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

• 1 month later...