Setting up Thrustmaster Warthog

Timm

Hi Guys,

Any help will be great here, I have the Thrustmaster Warthog stick/throttle and I have assigned the Air brake / Speed brake to the speed brake button on the throttle and would like to know how and if possible that when use this button that the brakes come out and when I release they go back in. Those who have the Warthog know that this button is spring load and for this purpose. works fine on the A10. Timm

Edited by Timm

“Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. It comes to us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.” John Wayne

I have the TMW and like you have set the A-10C airbrake control to the Sabre.

Push switch forward to close the speed brake, or move it back to middle position to stop the brake at that setting. To deploy it I move the switch back and hold it there (sprung loaded to go back to centre position) until I get the required amount of brake deployment then just release it and the brake will hold in its current position. To fully deploy the brake pull back on the switch until its fully deployed and release it. It will stay deployed.

Just have a mess around with it in external view so you can see whats happening with your switch actions and all will become apparent.

Hope this helps.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

@Timm - I think that Bart explained it very well but missed the point of your question. If I understood correctly, you want that the rear position of Brake button deploys Air brake, and the central position (neutral one) retracts Air brake. To do that, open TARGET and assign each function with HOLD option on instead of PULSE. But you may have problems when holding several buttons on HOLD option at the same time because it fills your buffer just like it would do if you would hold several buttons on keyboard at the same time.

So method that Bart has explained is better because none of the buttons are on HOLD in neutral position. But you can always try and see if it works well.

You want that the rear position of Brake button deploys Air brake, and the central position (neutral one) retracts Air brake

Hi Mrgud,

Spot on. I have this setup in FSX with the Milviz F-86. At the moment I am not using TARGET with this F-86, what I will do is make a new profile within TARGET for the DCS F-86 and assign some keys in there and see what happens. Thanks for your reply, very much appreciated. Timm

“Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. It comes to us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.” John Wayne

Why would you want that? The centre switch position should hold the speedbrake in place... That's how it's designed to be used. For example, while on finals you can set 50% speedbrake and hold it there.

Exactly.

@OP: I don't understand why you'd want to set up your HOTAS that way. Some examples: As Sabredog stated, I don't think it would be possible to hold the speedbrake at a specific setting with that setup and you would have to manually hold the speedbrake to keep it extended which would be tiring on something like the landing approach.

All in all, the setup you want sounds more like a hinderence to me.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill TridentZ | GPU: Palit RTX3080 Ti 12GB | SSDs: 2xSabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 | Samsung Pro 256GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | Samsung QVO 1TB 

Peripherals: Warthog HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | MFG Crosswinds | 3xTM Cougar MFDs | HP Reverb G2

At the moment I am not using TARGET with this F-86, what I will do is make a new profile within TARGET for the DCS F-86 and assign some keys in there and see what happens.

Yeah, TARGET is the way to go here.

The problem is that the center position of the speedbrake-switch does not send a DirectX button command, so you can't assign anything to it from within DCS. TARGET, on the other hand, doesn't have a problem recognizing the center position, so you should be able to easily assign the corresponding keyboard command to it.

AFAIK it's also possible to edit the input configuration file for the F-86 in order to assign something to the center-position, but I've never done that. But if you want to avoid TARGET, you could try searching the forum for such a solution.

Aside from that, I concur with the others - why not use the switch exactly like in the A-10? IMO it makes sense the way it's used there. :)

• 4 weeks later...
@Timm - I think that Bart explained it very well but missed the point of your question. If I understood correctly, you want that the rear position of Brake button deploys Air brake, and the central position (neutral one) retracts Air brake. To do that, open TARGET and assign each function with HOLD option on instead of PULSE. But you may have problems when holding several buttons on HOLD option at the same time because it fills your buffer just like it would do if you would hold several buttons on keyboard at the same time.

So method that Bart has explained is better because none of the buttons are on HOLD in neutral position. But you can always try and see if it works well.

To avoid the buffer problem, I measure the time it takes to deploy the brakes then set an X amount of milliseconds delay to release the button.