Mig-15? You're kidding me...

JMasterFlash

Preface: I know the AI Mig-15 is still a WIP so don't get me wrong.

Wow! I was glad to see that I'm not the only one around here having to rekindle my relationship with my ejection seat from the Mig-15. I've tried 1v1, 2v2, added missiles to the equation, changed fuel quantity, you name it, I have not won a single engagement.

The only thing I've been able to do that I would even consider a success is to wait till he's in the climb or at a front aspect of some sort and hit the deck running.

I've only had one time that I put any holes in him and one time I had a direct hit with a missile, but as we know, that had basically no affect :doh:. He keeps pushing me past the abilities of my aircraft and turning it into an energy fight. I don't consider myself to be a real living Ace, but I can normally hold my own, say P-51 vs Dora or F-15 vs Mig-29/Su-27.

I'd like to hear your guys thoughts on this...or maybe I'm just venting. :D

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's easy to fight the MiG-15. Haven't been shot down by one yet. But for some reason I always loose when i'm fighting my own aircraft- the F-86. :pilotfly:

Really? Wow, Expert difficulty your flying an F-86? That kinda makes me wanna try fighting an F-86, to see if it's my use of the plane that's killing me.

Edit: I should also mention that I actually almost never get shot down in a 1v1 battle, it's just that I have to keep fighting till I run, or get too low on fuel, because I just can't seem to get a bead on him.

Edited by JMasterFlash

That kinda makes me wanna try fighting an F-86, to see if it's my use of the plane that's killing me.

Try it, I found it easier. Other people also suggested the L-39. The MiG-21 oddly enough is also a nice option - it has more power than you, but can't turn with you. I had more luck with it than with the MiG-15 anyway.

Try it, I found it easier. Other people also suggested the L-39. The MiG-21 oddly enough is also a nice option - it has more power than you, but can't turn with you. I had more luck with it than with the MiG-15 anyway.

Mig-21, fo' Sho a better fight.

Try the James Jabara singel mission. Much beter than 1 vs 1

Hello,

Please can you tell me where I can found this mission ?

Thanks in advance, Skull.

The current migs e-retention and climb or combination-whichever......is currently quite silly. The thing practically floats up and away from you. Sure, the mig has a better climb rate, about 1000fpm, but I have found that I need excessive amounts of speed, sometime more than 100-200 knots just to come out equal in a zoom climb. Take for example the 190 vs 51 fight. The 190 has about the same climb advantage about about 1000fpm. Sure, if you get slow enough, and the 190 has enough space so that your not in guns range, it can get away-albeit slowly. The mig just points he nose up and I find myself stalling out while he still has 200knots more airspeed and is still going up----even when we were relatively co-e at the start.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Weed Be gone Needed

Wow! I was glad to see that I'm not the only one around here having to rekindle my relationship with my ejection seat from the Mig-15. I've tried 1v1, 2v2, added missiles to the equation, changed fuel quantity, you name it, I have not won a single engagement.

The only thing I've been able to do that I would even consider a success is to wait till he's in the climb or at a front aspect of some sort and hit the deck running.

I've only had one time that I put any holes in him and one time I had a direct hit with a missile, but as we know, that had basically no affect :doh:. He keeps pushing me past the abilities of my aircraft and turning it into an energy fight. I don't consider myself to be a real living Ace, but I can normally hold my own, say P-51 vs Dora or F-15 vs Mig-29/Su-27.

Yo-Yo said the AI in DCS utilizes its energy to perfection. Every time. There are no errors in his way. 0.

What ya need to do is bring your fire breather. I understand that's cheating and cheating grosses some people out. I, too, felt that way. But you have to understand they built the P-51 wings too short and you never have enough bullets. Then on one sad rainy day I just snapped after I emptied the whole wings, AI Dora then blew me up with three bullets to the pitot tube. Once my half burnt ass back was back at the base, I brushed my teeth, set up flight of ten AI 190s, hopped in my F-15 and mow 'em down. Buy an F-15, JMasterFlash. It's quite therapeutic.

• Like 2

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

I have more of an issue with how I needed almost 200 hits to take down the MiG-15 when I put it on the same side to test.

But WIP, as we all know.

Yeah the damage modeling is another thing. The blasted thing needs about 50 gazillion hits to kill. The Dora is also this way, but not as bad as it used to be-or so i hear.

WIP.

• Like 1

I had pretty good luck the other day against 4 v4 AI mig 15. Took down 3 of them. one tried to dive straight down and hit the water, and the other two I took out with guns. I had a 100 kt speed advantage, lagged him until he went vertical and when I had the whole planview of his aircraft I put the pipper in the center of the fuselage right at the wing root and it took about 20 bullets. They both flamed and went down the same way.

"You should fly a fighter aircraft one inch from out of control at all times in a purposeful way" -Willie Driscoll USN (ret)

The State Military (CVW-17)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

VICTORY 103

F-14B BuNo 161435

VF-103

CAPT J. "Bowser" Mayse

http://www.statelyfe.com

I see my thread exploded during my drive home from work. :)

Don't try to go up into the vertical with him. Just make the turn, and when he descends, start the dive with him. If you maintain your speed, you can catch him that way.

Thanks Cornbread, I'll give that a shot (hopefully :music_whistling:). I used to do that against the Dora but the 15's climb rate (at least right now) is hard to cope with.

The current migs e-retention and climb or combination-whichever......is currently quite silly. The thing practically floats up and away from you. Sure, the mig has a better climb rate, about 1000fpm,

I thought this gap was closed most of the way with the "F" variant's 600flbs more thrust.

Yo-Yo said the AI in DCS utilizes its energy to perfection. Every time. There are no errors in his way. 0.

What ya need to do is bring your fire breather. I understand that's cheating and cheating grosses some people out. I, too, felt that way. But you have to understand they built the P-51 wings too short and you never have enough bullets. Then on one sad rainy day I just snapped after I emptied the whole wings, AI Dora then blew me up with three bullets to the pitot tube. Once my half burnt ass back was back at the base, I brushed my teeth, set up flight of ten AI 190s, hopped in my F-15 and mow 'em down. Buy an F-15, JMasterFlash. It's quite therapeutic.

I have one :smilewink: and have already had some thoughts in this direction :D.

I had pretty good luck the other day against 4 v4 AI mig 15. Took down 3 of them. one tried to dive straight down and hit the water, and the other two I took out with guns. I had a 100 kt speed advantage, lagged him until he went vertical and when I had the whole planview of his aircraft I put the pipper in the center of the fuselage right at the wing root and it took about 20 bullets. They both flamed and went down the same way.

Impressive, I did find that I had more "chance" opportunities with more planes in the fight. I also die more because I let myself get baited too much without watching my 6 :doh:.

Thanks for your input so far guys. I'm gonna fly more tonight and see how it goes.

I see my thread exploded during my drive home from work. :)

Thanks Cornbread, I'll give that a shot (hopefully :music_whistling:). I used to do that against the Dora but the 15's climb rate (at least right now) is hard to cope with.

I thought this gap was closed most of the way with the "F" variant's 600flbs more thrust.

I have one :smilewink: and have already had some thoughts in this direction :D.

Impressive, I did find that I had more "chance" opportunities with more planes in the fight. I also die more because I let myself get baited too much without watching my 6 :doh:.

Thanks for your input so far guys. I'm gonna fly more tonight and see how it goes.

Right that is what I am trying to say. That gap wasn't that big, especially with the water injection this thing is supposed to have. Not certain if it is, but it doesnt seem to be.

I'm with ya Starkey. I read somewhere that the pilots of the "F" felt that it even surpassed the 15's capability in many ways. I also read that the F-86 was much more of a quality build than the Mig. So, I guess we can feel good knowing that while we may not be able to shoot him down, at least our plane is built better. HAH!

Some things I've picked up:

If things get uncomfortable, the MiG-15 can climb. The Sabre however, she can leg it, especially if you take the chance when the MiG is climbing and is slow and not on your tail. Yes, the MiG can accelerate quicker, but the key thing is that when you get to around 500 knots, the MiG is not far from the point where he has to break off, as he will lose control of his plane at speeds where the Sabre pilot has no issue maintaining control. Keep your nose slightly down, and firewall the throttle, and the MiG won't stand a chance at catching up. That is a great way IMO to sort of "restart" the fight, as it allows you to gain speed and height.

When you turn back into him after he's broken off, don't pull the stick into the seat, as this will just bleed off speed that you might not be able to recover, especially if the MiG catches on and throws himself straight at you, as the closure speed will be too high for you to regain the speed. Just pull the stick back slightly, and you'll have loads of power left when you jump back into the fight. This can enable you to climb after him if he resorts to climbing quickly.

Reduce the MiG's fuel load. In an attempt to make the MiG last shorter, as it IRL has less fuel and shorter range than the Sabre, I put it down to 80%. The MiG still didn't have a even remotely realistic endurance when it came to fuel, as he still flew along merrily back to his airfield, after hounding me back to mine as I had a flame-out landing.

However, the lighter weight of the MiG did seem to entice the AI into turning more with me, instead of just relying on climbs as it's only combat maneuver. This did allow me to finally land a few hits, to the extent that I could see a gas trail from him before I had to land.

Edited by Scrim

The current migs e-retention and climb or combination-whichever......is currently quite silly. The thing practically floats up and away from you. Sure, the mig has a better climb rate, about 1000fpm, but I have found that I need excessive amounts of speed, sometime more than 100-200 knots just to come out equal in a zoom climb. Take for example the 190 vs 51 fight. The 190 has about the same climb advantage about about 1000fpm. Sure, if you get slow enough, and the 190 has enough space so that your not in guns range, it can get away-albeit slowly. The mig just points he nose up and I find myself stalling out while he still has 200knots more airspeed and is still going up----even when we were relatively co-e at the start.

Ah yea, well there's more work to be done on the MiG as stated before. Soon we will have our revenge! As others say though, it's not impossible to kill them. Problem is, I'm getting too impatient to fight a MiG for 30+ mins straight just so I can make him leak fuel and oil. And on top of that, he still never runs out of gas :lol:

Good flying Veles.

What TrackIR profile do you have? I somehow just can't get it work good for me. Looking back or looking close to instruments begin to shake, jump.

Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X | i5 10600K@4700 | 32 Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G |

MONITOR IIYAMA 24,5" LED LCD @ 1920 x 1080 | Windows 11

| Saitek X-55 Rhino | TrackIR 5 Pro

In DCS go to Mission (its on the list on right side). Then click on the F-86 icon. Mission Name is Mig Sweep.

Thanks, I go test it ^^

Skull.