Thinking about a USB hub

Thick8

I'd like to hook up my WH throttle and stick, a keyboard, and a mouse to a USB hub. Is that too much data throughput? Does it need to be a powered hub if it can be done?

Thanks,

John

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

It works fine.... except when updating firmware of the stick/throttle. For that, you "might" have to hook up to the root hub on the motherboard. Don't know if TM has fixed this problem yet.

Warthog is two USB Full-Speed devices, not even High Speed. They can't be that demanding as long as your hub is at least USB 2 and not too crowded.

I have been using my TIR, Warthog Stick and Throttle, a Touch Screen and a G13 keypad through a single hub for a long time with no issues.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Powered?

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Powered?

Would definitely recommend a powered hub yes...

IT is VERY easy to tax the USB or USB2 root hubs so when setting up equipment for a pit so I always go powered... (NON-powered will work for standard use on a machine and you may not have issues, but simming has some particular equipment that require more power..)

And for those that are going to chime in with "I haven't had any issues" this may be true, but if you want to make CERTAIN power won't be an issue then buy one that IS powered.. Especially if you are going to specifically buy one for this purpose..

They aren't that much more cost wise... (And if you can't afford the difference between a powered hub and a non powered hub you better find a different hobby!

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

Powered?
Absolutely. :) Occasionally, it is even worth noting how much power the hub can provide, but for most situations any decent powered hubs will work fine.
Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Cool and thanks. Off to Amazon now.

John

John

And get one with as many ports as you can afford as these pit projects tend to GROW. I started with a 12 port hub and only have 2 ports left...

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

John

Amazon is our friend! :D

I've got eight hardware items which are used frequently all running through a USB hub, with absolutely no issues.

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5