Place screen in the Z as well as X, Y coordinate

doveman

I was wondering about how to tell DCS to render a specific point in space on the side monitors so that they show the left and right windows but I presume this would need the ability to specify a z co-ordinate and DCS only seems to provide for x and y.

I see lots of people have threee screens in a line but the outer two angled in a bit. Are all three monitors just rendering the view in front of the aircraft, i.e. all in the same z-plane, in which case surely angling in the two outer monitors is distorting the view as they're not actually showing any side view but are positioned as if they were?

I'm sure some sims must provide for specifying the z co-ordinate, as I've seen cockpits with front windscreens with the outer parts angled in and then further windows at 90 degrees left and right of the pilot but maybe this can only be done with professional sims. Would be cool if we could do it in DCS though, even if we had to run an extra instance per monitor, that only rendered the view and doesn't do any of the other calculations that can be left to the main instance. X-Plane works like this I believe, although it's a bit fiddly at the moment as it doesn't provide a way to specify which display each instance should run on and is designed for running each display from a separate PC.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

There is no way to configure DCS to account for the angle/position of additional monitors. You can stretch the main view across them, or use three camera views. Unfortunately, the 2nd and 3rd views are at a 90 degree angle from the main, which really does not look right with a standard three screen setup.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

There is no way to configure DCS to account for the angle/position of additional monitors. You can stretch the main view across them, or use three camera views. Unfortunately, the 2nd and 3rd views are at a 90 degree angle from the main, which really does not look right with a standard three screen setup.

Ah, OK. So looking at 3Cameras.lua, does "viewDx = -1;" make that screen show a view 90 degrees to the left of the main screen and "viewDx = 1;" make it show a view 90 degrees to the right of the main screen?

At least that allows us to have monitors directly to our left and right but I imagine most people don't have room for that and would prefer to have a way to have the screens in front but angled in and have DCS render the correct views for that.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Ah, OK. So looking at 3Cameras.lua, does "viewDx = -1;" make that screen show a view 90 degrees to the left of the main screen and "viewDx = 1;" make it show a view 90 degrees to the right of the main screen?

Yes.

At least that allows us to have monitors directly to our left and right but I imagine most people don't have room for that and would prefer to have a way to have the screens in front but angled in and have DCS render the correct views for that.

That is the way I see it.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: