Test Flight - DCS: F-86F Sabre Video Series

Bunyap

The first videos in the "Test Flight" series for the F-86F Sabre are complete and will be available just as fast as my internet connection will allow. The series features a start to finish look at learning a new aircraft and is intended for new flight simmers who may not be sure where to start. I think you will enjoy it no matter your experience level so feel free to check it out.

The best place to see videos as they are posted is at this playlist:

attachment.php?attachmentid=101629&stc=1&d=1406330782

If you find these useful be sure to check out my other videos available here:

DCS: A-10C Warthog - Combined Arms Mission

DCS: A-10A Warthog- The Valley Campaign

DCS: A-10C Warthog - Single Missions

They feature several hours of A-10 Warthog, F-15 Eagle, and UH-1 Huey gameplay with detailed commentary from the perspective of an experienced flight simmer provided throughout.

236247678_TFSabre.jpg.1a3f3940817b1be45125495bf84a37f3.jpg

DCS F-86F Checklist.pdf

DCS F-86F Kneeboard Checklist.zip

Edited by Bunyap

Hiya, I noticed in your first video you said that the GAR-8s were not implemented, and that the bombs would be added at a later date. I'm sure you know this now but both are added and working in the game right now. You might want to put in an annotation that both are in the game and working in the first video.

Hiya, I noticed in your first video you said that the GAR-8s were not implemented, and that the bombs would be added at a later date. I'm sure you know this now but both are added and working in the game right now. You might want to put in an annotation that both are in the game and working in the first video.

How do you fire the GAU-8's? I can select missiles, close on the target, get tone but can't fire them. Weapons Release does nothing. Is there a safety somewhere I am missing?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How do you fire the GAU-8's? I can select missiles, close on the target, get tone but can't fire them. Weapons Release does nothing. Is there a safety somewhere I am missing?

After you select them and get the launch tone, press the trigger, for whatever reason, weapon release does not fire them, the trigger does. I've had no luck hitting anything with them. :joystick:

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

After you select them and get the launch tone, press the trigger, for whatever reason, weapon release does not fire them, the trigger does. I've had no luck hitting anything with them. :joystick:

Got it thanks. You have to pull the trigger back and hold it. Just clicking it won't do it. Managed to shoot down a couple planes with the GAU but only bigger planes. No Mig's yet. Do you know how to turn the growling sound off after you have fired? I select Guns again but no matter what a get the sidewinder growl the rest of the flight.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Got it thanks. You have to pull the trigger back and hold it. Just clicking it won't do it. Managed to shoot down a couple planes with the GAU but only bigger planes. No Mig's yet. Do you know how to turn the growling sound off after you have fired? I select Guns again but no matter what a get the sidewinder growl the rest of the flight.

Noticed it wouldn't quit also, tried turning down the knob on the upper left by the safe release button and didn't work. Think it's still a WIP, even after you land and shut down the plane completely it is still growling. I have yet them to track anything, even transports. :joystick:

Edit: Actually did get the volume knob to work, it's on the upper left next to red button. I turned it all the way down, so it's pointing up, before selecting the missile, then it could turn it up/down with that knob.

Edited by txmtb

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

Noticed it wouldn't quit also, tried turning down the knob on the upper left by the safe release button and didn't work. Think it's still a WIP, even after you land and shut down the plane completely it is still growling. I have yet them to track anything, even transports. :joystick:

Edit: Actually did get the volume knob to work, it's on the upper left next to red button. I turned it all the way down, so it's pointing up, before selecting the missile, then it could turn it up/down with that knob.

Cool. I'll give that a try, thanks. The missiles do work, keep trying, lol.

They aren't very reliable though. Especially if the transport, awacs etc is using flares.

Do you know if the F-86F has an afterburner? I don't see one at max throttle on this plane but it works with all the others no problem.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wrong answer, the Sabre did have an afterburner - in some models, but definitely not in the F-86F. Later models, the F-86D, K, and L models did however.

I was referring to the variant that is flyable in DCS, but have to admit that I wasn't sure about later variants.

Wrong answer, the Sabre did have an afterburner - in some models, but definitely not in the F-86F. Later models, the F-86D, K, and L models did however.

That's interesting, I had no idea. Thanks!

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

I was referring to the variant that is flyable in DCS, but have to admit that I wasn't sure about later variants.

Then you ought to be a little more specific, your answer just says Sabre, and so, that statement was incorrect. A small point, but that's how false information spreads here. Please don't think I was picking on you, I just wanted to get the facts straight. Sorry :)

OK, I'm glad that's settled. ;)

That's great news on the GAR-8, Schweehog. I'll add an extra sortie to cover them.

I'm still working on the flight crew checklist I mentioned in the first video and should have it available here soon. I need it myself in order to proceed further anyway. I'm a little under the weather but with any luck I'll have it and the next few videos up tonight.

Hey, thanks again Sithspawn.

The checklists are attached to the top post of this thread. These should be considered provisional until the official manual comes out after which they may or may not be the best version to use. There is a normal pdf and a zip file containing bmp files for your kneeboard. If you are not familiar with how the kneeboard works check here:

Now finally back to some flying...

Really good videos Bunyap! Very informative indeed. I enjoyed watching them although I didn't buy Sabre yet.

I would only suggest to fly in opposite direction from the Sun when you are pointing at the upper part of cockpit.

Are you planning to do video series for the Mi-8? It would be good to have such detailed material to learn from.

Thanks Mrgud. I'll try to keep the sun angle in mind but no guarantees.

If anybody is curious about the full start-up and shut-down procedure or full systems operation, video 4 - 9 will be the ones to watch... And don't forget about the flight crew checklist attached to this post if you are looking for the full procedures to perform yourself.

Recording of the series is essentially complete with weapons employment starting on episode 18. I still need to cut the last few together but the series should end around episode 25.

I get the feeling looking at the stats that a lot of folks are judging the series based on the first video. These is a lot of detail on the aircraft systems and operation of the aircraft here so be sure to check them out if you are interested in that sort of thing.

I am starting to work "On the Range" videos in as well for those who like a "quick fix" so look for more of those to roll out shortly.

Just one more bump in case anybody is interested in the air-to-ground stuff starting at #19... Most of it is already covered in the On the Range videos but you can see the trial and error that went into it here. I'll be able to get one video a day up until they end at #25.

Yeah, I probably should but the actual flight manual will probably supercede it when finished. The changes are really no more than mark-ups based on personal preference that anybody could do to their own. I'll update it when I get a few more flights under my belt and am happy with the sequence.

The series is complete at #24 if anybody is still interested. Numbers 23 and 24 cover AIM-9B employment but I think I will wait until the finished version to do a tutorial just in case anything changes.