Merlin

gavagai

Dude, your old maps were a lot of fun. This new one just causes pissing matches. No one can find a dogfight so it's people flying straight to the enemy airfield and vulching. Fwiw, I was not a participant in this little affair on either end, and I'm not going to post a pic, but we are not ready for this map. There just are not enough players and spotting aircraft in DCS is notoriously difficult.

Anyway, you know I respect you, but I just had to get that off my chest.:doh:

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

I've been on the map and my view is that it was a one off incident. I am flying on DoW practically daily for last couple of weeks, and this was first time ever I've seen somebody vulching aircraft on the ground. The guy in question also usually takes bombs so fair enough...

I agree the map is very dogfight oriented and everybody pretty much ignores the ships and ground targets, but with a bit of practice it's very possible to find the enemy. Just fly to the small peninsula in the middle and look for the flak. The scripted WWII flak really helps spotting contacts. The action takes place at Pitsunda beach, pretty much right in the middle between the 2 bases. We were just unlucky for not spotting anything. (Just my 0.02 ofc ;) )

With all due respect these missions are bigger in scope and have been created to support any number of human player interaction. We are using pretty much full real setting so say bye bye to map icons and other similar things.

As Robo has already stated it's very easy to find either AI air opposition as well as human opposition if the mission briefings are read by the players and the introduction of flak over combat areas containing enemy ground units also makes it easier spot air contacts if you wish to dogfight. HOWEVER, the main objective of the online mission ( which can support much bigger online number participants) is to achieve 100 or 150 points for your side. The fastest and easiest way to do this is to attack ground units and objects designated by the mission briefing. If all anyone wants to do is attack air units and dogfight, they are more than welcome to as long as no cheats are being used and no one is masking themselves by flying through trees there is nothing wrong with solely dogfighting, just bare in mind if you wish to help your side win the map..... you won't fair so well if you are only downing one plane per flight at best. The other team could easily be taking out multiple ground targets per flight and racking up points for their side.

As for vulching, if someone chooses to linger over an enemy airbase to strafe at planes taking off or taxiing that's his choice... If you can't stand that you can switch teams to simply fix the issue BUT please know he can't vulch very long before 1) he runs out of ammo. 2) he gets killed by your teammate or your friendly AI already in the air. 3) He gets killed by flak or AAA. Sometimes one of most rewarding things to do is scramble and take out the vulcher.

Sorry "someone you know" wasn't having fun during the mission but these missions are in keeping with any classic full real WWII server from WWIIO to IL-2 1946 to now DCS.

Hope you see the intent of these missions and can enjoy them as much as we do :joystick:

[sIGPIC]DropDeadGorgeous.jpg[/sIGPIC]

I like the mission. Personally my favourite on DoW was the one where you chose the mission through the radio menu but the current one is still fun.

I tend to take bombs and go bridge busting (easy to spot, and some flak around them to kill and boost the team score further) but am always ready to jettison them to defend myself. Although the lack of map icons makes it much easier to be sneaky!

Well,

I guess this thread is about the DoW Server missions. In as far as I am concerned, and having entered MP in DCS through the friendly hands of those that are usually online at the DoW Server, I can only be grateful for their work and initiative.

I never imagined it could be so difficult to play a combat flight simulator. My former experience was long ago with Combat Flight Simulator 1 and 2, and Jane's ww2 Fighters. Recently I got into simulated Air Combat through IL2 BOS, but playing DCS and the P51d is different. Not saying that it is better or worst, both are EXCELLENT simulators.

I am looking fwd to be able to use the Dora at the DoW Server.

My main problem remains the same - I can't find the other aircraft. This goes to the point of loosing friendly aircraft when I try to takeoff behind them :-(

One of these days I was nonetheless able to make some successful formation flying with a fellow carrying bombs, who used them against a boat near the point you mention above ( somewhere between the two airfields ).

Have programmed my HOTAS Antenna axis for Zoom, and it helps, but finding the other is soooooo desperately difficult :-/

This being said, I tend to be very selective about the sims I use, and time available to learn how to use more than one at a time is problematic for me, so, I am seriously considereing keeping just one of IL2 BOS and DCS World for ww2 simulation. Using both is occupying way too much time :-/ So far I am using 90% of that time at IL2 BOS, now starting to play at the Complex Servers, and shouldn't I have already spent too much money on DCS World, I would probably give up using it. In fact I could continue flying circuits in the p51d and the helis, but... now that I found the thrill of online air combat, and IL2 BOS is giving me also a GREAT time... I don't know... Will wait for EDGE and see if things get better in as far as being able to glimpse other aircraft goes...

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Dude, your old maps were a lot of fun. This new one just causes pissing matches. No one can find a dogfight so it's people flying straight to the enemy airfield and vulching. Fwiw, I was not a participant in this little affair on either end, and I'm not going to post a pic, but we are not ready for this map. There just are not enough players and spotting aircraft in DCS is notoriously difficult.

Anyway, you know I respect you, but I just had to get that off my chest.:doh:

Man, It's hardly ever good to see your forum name as the title of a thread. :huh:

Gav, I always prefer an honest opinion over overly complementary statements. It allows us to become better and collect a good sampling of people's experiences. I also respect you as a fellow DCS pilot, as we've flown together off and on for quite a long time. The DoW missions are now a group effort with a few of our guys doing a majority of the time consuming work it takes to make a versatile all-inclusive mission. We have been trying to make a solid rotation of sorties that each have a different personality but all offer at least something for everyone. Our decision as a squad to eliminate all visual aids and go full-real has presented some obvious challenges BUT looking back now... I have gained so much from removing these crutches as I suspect many others have. Yes it may no longer be "easy" to find the enemy but it is something we chose over catering to a typical duel-type setting with air respawns setting people up for instant action style encounters. Our mission will require the pilot to do some work with the intention, that if nothing else, it will refine everyone's skills as a pilot while also encouraging teamwork. Also, keep in mind this is an on-going process. We are trying to adapt as we go, as we always have, and we will keep trying to improve the experience. Hopefully, with the introduction of EDGE somewhere out there the visibility issues can be helped. Other than that, I have really enjoyed the new missions myself but admittedly have not been flying as much as I'd like to lately.

Keep fighting the good fight, man. I'm also hopeful that the 190 will bring in the masses, keep plenty of people flying on the server and make spotting enemy A/C painfully easy. :) Cheers.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

With all due respect these missions are bigger in scope and have been created to support any number of human player interaction. We are using pretty much full real setting so say bye bye to map icons and other similar things.

As Robo has already stated it's very easy to find either AI air opposition as well as human opposition if the mission briefings are read by the players and the introduction of flak over combat areas containing enemy ground units also makes it easier spot air contacts if you wish to dogfight. HOWEVER, the main objective of the online mission ( which can support much bigger online number participants) is to achieve 100 or 150 points for your side. The fastest and easiest way to do this is to attack ground units and objects designated by the mission briefing. If all anyone wants to do is attack air units and dogfight, they are more than welcome to as long as no cheats are being used and no one is masking themselves by flying through trees there is nothing wrong with solely dogfighting, just bare in mind if you wish to help your side win the map..... you won't fair so well if you are only downing one plane per flight at best. The other team could easily be taking out multiple ground targets per flight and racking up points for their side.

As for vulching, if someone chooses to linger over an enemy airbase to strafe at planes taking off or taxiing that's his choice... If you can't stand that you can switch teams to simply fix the issue BUT please know he can't vulch very long before 1) he runs out of ammo. 2) he gets killed by your teammate or your friendly AI already in the air. 3) He gets killed by flak or AAA. Sometimes one of most rewarding things to do is scramble and take out the vulcher.

Sorry "someone you know" wasn't having fun during the mission but these missions are in keeping with any classic full real WWII server from WWIIO to IL-2 1946 to now DCS.

Hope you see the intent of these missions and can enjoy them as much as we do :joystick:

When I go online in the P-51D my first goal is to dogfight other human players. Bombing and strafing AI isn't even a distant third. I am well aware that the aim of the map is tactical bombing and CAS, and you guys are welcome to put up any maps that suit you. I am merely pointing out that I think you have lost exactly what brought people to your server in the first place.

Again, we don't have the players, and tricks like AAA don't make the terrible DCS spotting problem go away. I know where you want to go with DCS, and I love the idea, but to me it seems premature.

------------

@Merlin,

Nah, it's not a bad thing. Thanks for hosting the server!:thumbup:

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

When I go online in the P-51D my first goal is to dogfight other human players. Bombing and strafing AI isn't even a distant third. I am well aware that the aim of the map is tactical bombing and CAS, and you guys are welcome to put up any maps that suit you. I am merely pointing out that I think you have lost exactly what brought people to your server in the first place.

Again, we don't have the players, and tricks like AAA don't make the terrible DCS spotting problem go away. I know where you want to go with DCS, and I love the idea, but to me it seems premature.

------------

@Merlin,

Nah, it's not a bad thing. Thanks for hosting the server!:thumbup:

Sorry you feel that way but clearly others do not. If all anyone wished to do was dogfight all we would need is two bases 20 miles apart and no ground units.... BORING. not gonna happen.

If you think dogfighting in the DCS P-51D is boring, or that you have mastered it and need something new, then we really are from different planets. I learn something new in almost every player vs player combat.

well as i am the creator of the mission i feel i have to comment on it as well....actually just like merlin said, we appreciate when we get feedback, also negative one....that way we can try to improve missions....

but i dont actually see what you are complaining about gavagai...knowing you as a very capable pilot, i cant really imagine you are having any trouble in that mission...

are you by any chance using that "ridiculous gun smoke mod" to get rid off it?because if you do, you wont see any flak in that mission...

saying that flak isnt helping to spot targets is just wrong in our experience, and actually you are the first complaining about it.fact is, that as soon as you enter enemy territory, the flak will track you, and thats visible over miles(at least half the way to the enemy airfield if you just spawned on your airfield)

also i think you are wrong when you say that these kind of missions/settings will keep people off from our server, as the numbers of people joining our server show the exact opposite!the server is now more populated than it ever was...we hope it stays that way, and of course even gets more population...

if your only problem with that mission is the realism settings and the lack of map icons, than im afraid to tell you, this will very likely not change(definitely not for this mission)...there is so much more immersion when not following icons on a map.

and this mission is not designed to kill ground targets only at all...it just offers the possibilty...for sure its also designed for A2A combat as this is, what our DOW pilots enjoy most.

best regards.

While we're at it (smoke visibility), is it me, or 1.2.9 did actually improve gun smoke in a Pony somewhat? I just finished some "fooling around, shooting stuff" offline flight and I get impression that the effect has been toned down. Now I can actually see through the smoke, see muzzle flash more clearly and my framerate seems to suffer less.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

No, I don't have trouble with the mission. Every time I fly it there are pilots attacking my airfield and they are easy to shoot down because the AAA softens them up. I just prefer it when the combat is centered more between the airfields, not directly over one of them.

well, then i guess you really just had a bad day...normally the battle does take place most of the time at the center between the two airfields...

I confirm that. Very very occasionally, someone tries to attack the actual airfield with usual result of Mustang 0 : 1 AAA.

95% of the dogfights happen right in the middle, over the legendary 'moose knuckle' peninsula. :D

Definitely has been reduced. But then thinking about the Dora's armament and the two weapons in the cowling ahead of the pilot I reckon it had to happen before the Dora was released otherwise every time someone fired they'd loose sight of their target in the smoke.

While we're at it (smoke visibility), is it me, or 1.2.9 did actually improve gun smoke in a Pony somewhat? I just finished some "fooling around, shooting stuff" offline flight and I get impression that the effect has been toned down. Now I can actually see through the smoke, see muzzle flash more clearly and my framerate seems to suffer less.

It wasn't me you vulched, griefer.:music_whistling:

Ok guys,

say your prayers.... and meet me this afternoon at the DOW Server. Make sure you wear helmets, yellow or Orange preferably, so that I can easily spot you inside of the cockpit.

Got my new spectacles!

I will atack when I see the fuel imbalance in your tanks greater than 2 gals. I'll be checking that when flying inverted over your ponny.... on a first pass before starting the dogfight.....

( this was my last dream this night.... :-( )

Now, really really, if I could just 1) See airplanes around me 2) Even better, identify if they're friend or foe....

I would like thins to be so "easy" in DCS as they are presenty in IL2, and, as I posted before, this makes me tend to play a lot more IL2 BOS than I do DCS, but probably I should really do the opposite, choose the hardest way and instead gain proficincy in DCS, specially at the DOW server missions - I am sure I would lear a lot more from it.... I just need free time to invest :-/

After having played IL2 BOS's fw190 last night I look forward even more for DCS's Dora..... and being able to use it at the DOW server!

Edited by jcomm

Been playing a bit of IL-2 BoS recently, and planes are far easier to spot than in DCS. I'm talking against the sky as well, not just the ground. I never have a problem finding and killing a bunch of planes in that game before getting shot down. In DCS, I almost always die if I lose sight of an enemy for 1 second, and finding people in the first place can be extremely difficult.

• Like 1

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

I didnt say dogfighting was boring please dont put words in my mouth. I said that creating a mission that would seem to appease you would be boring. Perhaps you can share your own experiences in the mission in the future rather than "someone" elses.

I didnt say dogfighting was boring please dont put words in my mouth. I said that creating a mission that would seem to appease you would be boring. Perhaps you can share your own experiences in the mission in the future rather than "someone" elses.

Sorry if I misinterpreted you. But what pleases me is boring to you; it is not boring in itself.

That said, I gave the server another try to today, and I was bored out of my wits. Although there were several human pilots flying, there was not a single player vs. player combat in 45 minutes. I also do not care for flak shooting at my single aircraft 24:7 the moment I cross the lines (and it targets almost perfectly at 25,000ft). If you are going for realism that does not seem to fit. There are just too many things in the way between humans on opposing teams.

Anyway, this will be my last complaint on the topic. I'm done with it. Maybe I'll try flying more Cliffs or create my own server when I want WW2 combat in DCS.

Bye bye!:pilotfly:

Edited by gavagai

Was there today aswell, and it was a great time, although I had to leave earlier :-/

Only problem was that for a while there were no players joining the red side, so, we were all at the blue side, then "gavagai" joined, but I had to leave soon after :-(

Maybe next time gavagai. Don't give up....