Thrustmaster Warthog limitation. I think I may have made a big mistake.

I have sincerely google'd like crazy in order to find a solution before bugging you guys, but there aren't very many of us out there, and I've come up short.

#1, I absolutely love the TM Warthog stick, it feels 100 times better than I could have hoped for. I have some sticktion issues, and it takes a lot of force to move, but I absolutely love it all the same.

#2, outside of the throttle action itself (it's very smooth) I hate everything about the Warthog throttle. Half of the switches I can't reach very easily, they always seem to be hiding under the throttle levers... but okay, we'll get by that.

The big problem I am having is with the function of the switches and sliders. For example, the FLAPS switch; it has three positions: 'UP', 'MVR', and 'DN'. But when in game if I try to map the 'MVR' position to an action nothing happens! Turns out, there isn't actually any input being sent when the flaps switch is moved to the 'MVR' position. Oh well, I guess I see what they did there, there's no reason to have an input sent in that position because if it's coming off of UP or DN then the game can logically determine that it's been moved to the middle...

But it doesn't work!! I can't move the flaps switch from 'UP' to 'MVR' at all! I move the switch from 'UP' to 'MVR' and nothing happens! I have to move it all the way to 'DN' to get it to move from 'UP' at all! I hope all that made sense to someone.

Another similar problem: in the F-15c, I'd like to map the 'thumb slider' to countermeasures. I'd like for the forward locked position to be "continuously dispense countermeasures"... which works fine. Right up until I pull the switch backward to turn it off. Guess what, that doesn't work! DCS still sees the button forward until I push it forward AGAIN to toggle it off. What the hell??? I would have never bothered with the Warthog throttle if I had known it would be like this.

What am I doing wrong? Am I missing something obvious? Or am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculous?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Edited by davidcwilliams

well i dont have the Warthog but i do know some stuff about it.

The sticktion issue cant be totally resolved but it can be tone down.

(http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80787&highlight=warthog+hard+move) and (

)

the Warthog is a plug and play HOTAS for dcs a-10c.so you dont need to assign it for the a-10c.

I THINK you need to assign the MVR flaps through the TARGET software.

I THINK most of the "sliders" are like the flaps middle has no input

Edited by ghostwarior117

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mods:Diveplane's unofficial soundpack

Specs:

JOYSTICK: Saitek X52 pro

RUDDER: Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

HEAD TRACK: TackIR 5

CPU: AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core 4.7GHz

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970

Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M

RAM: Corsair Dominator 16GB 1866 DDR3

SSD: OCZ RevoDrive3 240GB PCIe

MOBO: Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Hard Drive

PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000W 80+ Bronze

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit OS

To get the 3 way switches to work correctly in DCS you either need to edit the .lua files or you need to use TARGET, that came with your hotas. Do a forum search and you'll find tons of posts on how to do it.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

well i dont have the Warthog but i do know some stuff about it.

The sticktion issue cant be totally resolved but it can be tone down.

(http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80787&highlight=warthog+hard+move) and (

)

the Warthog is a plug and play HOTAS for dcs a-10c.so you dont need to assign it for the a-10c.

I THINK you need to assign the MVR flaps through the TARGET software.

I THINK most of the "sliders" are like the flaps middle has no input

So not looking forward to that procedure, but I'll do it. Thanks for the pointers!

No you shouldn't need to do that in Target. Mine was set up correctly and works correctly in game without any modifications to the Lua file. David, have you checked under windows game controller to see if the actual switch is working? If it does work then check in the DCS W options menu to see if there any conflicts, somehow it may have got screwed up

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

I agree that the flaps position switch should not need target to work in game as mr mojo97 has pointed out.

Speaking specifically for the A10C, the flaps function is speed sensitive. The A10C will move the flaps for you if you forget to raise them as you go faster.

Try to check the flaps functionality on the ground during a ramp start...that should show you if the switch is working.

For the record, I haven't actually purchased the A10C yet. All of my tests are with the A10A. And as far as testing within Windows, the middle section of any three-way input doesn't register at all... which I suppose makes sense from a cost perspective. You could always use software to detect when a switch had been moved from the top position, and then know it was in the middle.

As for your set up, Mr Mojo, I'm betting if you check your flaps switch in windows, you'll find that the top position is button 22, down is 23, and middle is nothing at all. Just like the thumb slider on the throttle lever. Forward is 7, back is 8, middle is nothing. One more example like this is the Path/Alt/hdg/ALT switch on the bottom right of the throttle, Path and Alt are inputs, Alt/hdg does nothing.

To WarriorX: unless DCS has a way of detecting "button up", we'd have to send keystrokes a different way once we detect that the switch has moved off of a button to a "blank" area.

Edited by davidcwilliams

Like they said, to get the flaps to work correctly you have to use the "Control Sync" function in the control options, use an edited lua file or use TARGET.

I got it to work using TARGET. The disadvantage is that you're going to map all the functions for the A-10C using TARGET.

If you're willing to use TARGET, this is the configuration you're going to have to use:

For the joystick Key called FLAPU

Event Type: PRESS

Event Name: Flaps Up

Key Command: L_SHIFT+f

Type: Pulse

Event Type: RELEASE

Event Name: Flaps Down

Key Command: f

For the joystick key called FLAPD

Event Type: PRESS

Event Name: Flaps Down

Key Command: f

Event Type: RELEASE

Event Name: Flaps Up

Key Command: L_SHIFT+f

======================================================

As you see, you won't need the FLAP MIDDLE key. You'll set all commands under TARGET using the PRESS and RELEASE commands.

In case you want a TARGET profile already set up, I'm attaching mine as well. :)

DCS A-10C.zip

Thank you dok! This guide is very helpful! I'll go and start messing with it now.

No problem. Anytime. :)

EDIT:

Sorry, hadn't seen your other problem with the F-15C.

As for the continuous dispense of chaffs and flares, let me see if I got that straight.

You want to use the "Airbrake Switch" in the "forward" position to start dispensing countermeasures and when returning it to the "central" position, you want it to stop. Is that right? Hope I got that right.

Again, the easiest way to solve this it by using TARGET.

The continually dispense countermeasures is the command "L_SHIFT+Q".

All you gotta do is to set a "PRESS" command to the "SPDF" which is the Speed Brake Forward button with the "L_SHIFT+Q" key command and make it a "PULSE" type of command.

Then you set a "RELEASE" command to THE SAME KEY, the same key combination and the same type.

That way, when you "press" Speed Brake Forward, you'll "pulse", which represents a single key press the Left Shift+Q command, and it'll start dispensing chaffs and flares. When you return the key to its centralized position you'll have "released" it, which will again send another Left Shift+Q pulse command and stop the automatic dispensing of countermeasures.

====================================================

I hope that was not too confusing. If that was not clear enough, I can make a little video further explaining it.

TARGET is an extremely flexible piece of software, it just takes some effort and patience to get it to work like we want.

Rest assured that after you get used to the HOTAS Warthog you'll never go back to any other joystick. :)

=====================================================

EDIT 2:

Just saw your gripe with the key positions. In my testing I found that the most comfortable position to operate the throttle is by having it sit to the left of left thigh, in the same position as in the real aircraft. I did that by getting a little bar stool I have in my house and resting the throttle there. It did wonders to me as everything becomes more reachable and the buttons more accessible.

Hope that helps.

:)

Edited by dok_rp