How will CastAR work with DCS?

So I've really been looking closely at the CastAR lately, and it is really looking good. I'm hesitant to buy one though, as I'm confused how it will work with DCS using AR instead of VR.

I can imagine people using CastAR to set up multiple reflective surfaces that will act as MFCD's and having one large strip to act as the outside view. The would be awesome I have to say. I'm just confused. Does anyone know how this will work? Will ED have to include CastAR support in their engine? How hard would that be (so how long will it take) and how realistic is it that this will happen?

I understand that using VR with the clip on will probably be easier, as there already is Oculus Rift support. But how will AR work. Anyone who pledged or ordered a CastAR, what are you planning on doing with your CastAR when you get it? I'm just curious.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unfortunately I don't think it'l work :(

Cast AR acts as a display unit and that means you have to edit the output lua file to make it appear as a monitor. Thus you can have the complete render on this but I don't think you can render a MFD for instance as every time you move your head the MFD would disappear.

Of course I could be wrong and I'd like to be wrong :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

Unfortunately I don't think it'l work :(

Cast AR acts as a display unit and that means you have to edit the output lua file to make it appear as a monitor. Thus you can have the complete render on this but I don't think you can render a MFD for instance as every time you move your head the MFD would disappear.

Of course I could be wrong and I'd like to be wrong :D

I think someone will come up with a method to do that with the lua files right? Perhaps even upload a custom lua file for people to download. I certainly hope it will work though. CastAR shows a lot of potential for us flight simmers, and it would make it so much cheaper. Instead of buying expensive 3D monitors with additional displays for MFCD's etc. and having accessories like TrackIR, you can have a CastAR with cheap retro-reflective material and place it wherever you want. I really hope more people in the DCS community will look into CastAR, especially ED

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm not planning on using the castAr to display any guages, MCFD or the like.

Instead, I want a full simpit with working gauges as per current setups. Then around this I will build a reflective dome. SO, the castAR will simply be projecting the outside world whilst all cockpit type stuff is done in my simpit.

I think it's the perfect fusion, and I can't wait to find out if it works. It should do, as Jerry et al from castAr have been working with the guys from Oculus (pre-FB purchase anyhow) to ensure all VR/AR systems work the same way.

Only time will tell I guess...

:thumbup:

Cheers,

Smirkza

I'm not planning on using the castAr to display any guages, MCFD or the like.

Instead, I want a full simpit with working gauges as per current setups. Then around this I will build a reflective dome. SO, the castAR will simply be projecting the outside world whilst all cockpit type stuff is done in my simpit.

I think it's the perfect fusion, and I can't wait to find out if it works. It should do, as Jerry et al from castAr have been working with the guys from Oculus (pre-FB purchase anyhow) to ensure all VR/AR systems work the same way.

Only time will tell I guess...

:thumbup:

Sorry I haven't heard of the last part. Someone from CastAR has been working with Oculus to make sure their VR and AR systems work the same way? Why would Oculus want to do that? And how would they work together with AR if Oculus doesn't have AR?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]