DCS: MiG-21 Screenshots

Cobra847

Here are some screenshots taken by testers with the MiG-21 in EDGE. :)

We'll be posting some more soon, with updated Speculars and Normals tweaked for EDGE.

Enjoy!

Hi Cobra. Thank You for beautiful pictures. I have a question about file 4.jpg. There is veeery slightly visible number marking (only outlines) on the left side under the canopy. Is it supposed to be some sort of "old-taken-away" marking or it's just not clearly visible because of the reflection?

Because I saw some pics of repaired Mig-29s and these had something similar. Old leftovers under new markings. :-) I know it's not important....just asking.:smilewink:

I think it's not a big deal. For example....Mig-21s stationed in Line airbase in Czech Republic had almost identical markings. To be honest, I tried to find a single picture of Mig-21 with that type of font You have posted and with no result. Maybe it varied, depending on the country.

I'm talking only about russian skin.

I know nothing about Czech Republic mig's, but i know something about VVS SSSR, and this scan, is not a recommendation or something like that. It war an order for all Soviet military aviation including DOSAAF.

5-min search gave me this result. It may have sone differencies because DIY painting technology, but this is one and the same font.

And color of inlines and outlines was special – it was tactical fast-identification method

e7a6750223e6710ec02dfecf59b425f8.jpg

I'm talking only about russian skin.

I know nothing about Czech Republic mig's, but i know something about VVS SSSR, and this scan, is not a recommendation or something like that. It war an order for all Soviet military aviation including DOSAAF.

5-min search gave me this result. It may have sone differencies because DIY painting technology, but this is one and the same font.

And color of inlines and outlines was special – it was tactical fast-identification method

e7a6750223e6710ec02dfecf59b425f8.jpg

OK, my bad...I thought You were talking about Migs in global. :-)

OK, my bad...I thought You were talking about Migs in global. :-)

For me it's very inportant)))

In global LN Mig is beautiful, but in details still some mistakes.

But I'm ready to close my eyes at this, if it may delay release even though a 10 minutes)))

Might be mistaken here, but Bort numbers are engine-specific and not model-specific so it's not up to Leatherneck.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Might be mistaken here, but Bort numbers are engine-specific and not model-specific so it's not up to Leatherneck.

Su-25 have no problems with number fonts: it's exactly what i'm talking about.Su-25-1.png

I am pretty sure they can put any type of number they want (the 3D model defines what texture goes where and any texture can be used) so the developer can pick any numbers they want/need.

No longer active in DCS...

The screenshots looks really awesome! Although my PC can barely run DCS right now so I hope that EDGE will be fps friendly.

I will be looking at 640x480 resolution if I'll have to just to finally fly her when the time comes, but I am glad for all of you guys with killer PCs; you will be looking at some amazing screenies! ;)

Great job LS! :thumbup:

Su-25 have........

Mea Culpa

I'll attend to submit a bug report :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi, Cobra.

Great screens!

But why you choose such strange font for digits at russian skin? This style very unusual for Soviet VVS.

There was a special font and special rules for painting numbers and stars. Font was specially developed for easy stencil making and fixing it on aircraft.

Look, what I have.

If interesting, i can make scan of all this document "Instruction of marking Soviet Army Airforce aircrafts, est. 20 june 1974"

The Bord number is a placeholder that was used for testing (note that it's always 08 ).

IIRC, there was an VVS service aircraft with this type of bord number (smooth, blue), but I can't find the reference at the moment.

It's possible the reference was incorrect. Regardless, no issue as the bord number will return to the blocky blue for that livery. :)

We have several variations and various types of bord numbers, most countries/styles will be covered. :)

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

The Bord number is a placeholder that was used for testing (note that it's always 08 ).

IIRC, there was an VVS service aircraft with this type of bord number (smooth, blue), but I can't find the reference at the moment.

It's possible the reference was incorrect. Regardless, no issue as the bord number will return to the blocky blue for that livery. :)

We have several variations and various types of bord numbers, most countries/styles will be covered. :)

Czech Republic too? *.*

Yes, such bort-number font was usual till 1974. (rounded corners of digits) And if plane didn't pass overhaul or transferring to another regiment after 1974, it could wear old style number.

But old digits unusual for camo planes, because an order of implementing new font, includes camouflage schemes instead gloss aluminium.

For example, this foto of our Su-7's was made right about '75

(Next year most of planes in this regiment become camouflaged.)

styles.jpg

Edited by Yott

WOW! Screenshots looks amazing.

One note regarding payload. As I found on the other forum: before nuke was loaded the main landing gear doors had to be removed due to diameter of the bomb. You can see on the drawing below that main gear doors are missing.

i4SI22H.jpg

I think it should be no problem to implement this since, I believe, this feature is already present for main landing gear struts.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We have several variations and various types of bord numbers, most countries/styles will be covered. - Cobra847

Yott- Cobra is aware of your observation and the current bord set are placeholders.

I'm sure this will be added at the bottom of cobras massive "still to do" list.

Don't ask me for advice on these Two Subjects:

1.. How to Take Off in the Dora!

2.. How to Land the Dora!

UNLESS YOU WANT TO DIE!

We have several variations and various types of bord numbers, most countries/styles will be covered. - Cobra847

Yott- Cobra is aware of your observation and the current bord set are placeholders.

I'm sure this will be added at the bottom of cobras massive "still to do" list.

Yes, i know.

And I'm not expect that LN stop all tasks now for fixing bord-numbers.

Release first!))

I'm just trying to help. to make Bis a little better. Sorry if I'm too persistent.

Edited by Yott

WOW! Screenshots looks amazing.

One note regarding payload. As I found on the other forum: before nuke was loaded the main landing gear doors had to be removed due to diameter of the bomb.

^ im pretty sure that is a wrong info, afaik they used a different, taller pylon adapter for that nuke-bomb

Edited by NRG-Vampire

sign-pic4.jpg

^ im pretty sure that is a wrong info, afaik they used a different, taller pylon adapter for that nuke-bomb

Neg, we are using the same pylon for the Nuke.

Thanks for the heads-up. I saw it on il2forum but did not manage to reply yet.

I'll consult with Novak and we'll investigate and hide the gear doors if it is indeed correct.

Thanks!

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Images from EDGE, till now, are so dark though... like watching everything through sunglasses.....

First three were early morning mission pics. HDR setting will also play a role. And then of course the most important criteria: Viewer's adequate monitor calibration :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]