FFB g940 OR Warthog hotas

Stuntie

I have a Force Feed Back Logitech G940 and a Warthog HOTAS.

Whilst the Warthog is superb for the A10C, what about the P-51 and Dora?

More than enough buttons for the prop planes, and feedback too.

Is it worth the effort and clutter of putting the G940 onto the PC as well for the DCS Prop planes?

I'm wondering here how much the ffb would help with feel and handling compared to the Warthog?

(P.s. already have the G940 pedals connected to a switch and trim box so pedals taken care of when using the Warthog):joystick:

Cheers

Stuntie

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why not just try it out to compare? Once you try ffb in the P-51 you'll never go back.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

G940!!!

Find a electrician who is good with solding and ask him to rewire the throtle upper wheels and buttons.

it has a design flaw where the wire gets worn out and you will get the spike problem. But yeah like trackir once u try it you never go back

G940!!!

Find a electrician who is good with solding and ask him to rewire the throtle upper wheels and buttons.

it has a design flaw where the wire gets worn out and you will get the spike problem. But yeah like trackir once u try it you never go back

+1 000 000

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

G940 no doubt, the Warthog is horrible for "floaty" planes. I can't believe you're asking this question if you have both on hand :lol:.

Use the Warthog throttle, though, and other pedals if you have them. G940's reversal bug is all too apparent in DCS.

Reversal bug of G940 is somehow not present in DCS due to nice mass inertia dynamics... However, this issue is more present to its rudder pedals than anything else. Also the low 8 bit resolution for all axis excepting the main X-Y is also a kind of draw back. Some tunning on G940 makes it a par for Warthog in any sense of immersives.

Where the FF is needed, like old planes, helis... it is simply a must have. MS FFB2 as alternative. It is such a big shame that no other FF devices are built anymore. Only some roumors about a FF version for Black Fat Mamba for next year.

Below is my comfortable setup based on G940 and some Leo's boards.

DSCN7054.thumb.jpg.ae41489f96fb326199d74495b55064aa.jpg

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: i7-8700K@5GHz,ASUS Maximus X Hero, 32GB RAM 3000MHz, MSI Nvidia GTX 1080TI watercooled, Creative SoundBlaster Z, Intel/Samsung M.2 , VKB MCG Pro + Virpil Throttle + Leo Bodnar BU0836(A and X), MFG Crosswind, Logitech G13, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Stream Deck

Will keep the warthog for the Warthog and fast jets, but will add in the G940 as well for the prop planes and such like.

May need to shuffle the room and desk around a bit, but reckon I can create space for both, and use them as needed.

Will look into the electric issues mentioned above. So cheers for that.

Cheers

Stuntie

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looks excellent, Abburo. What do you fly?

Mostly, Su-25 both variants and UH-1H.

Mustang is feeling best on this, but I am not playing it too much because there are not yet counterparts. Waiting hardly for Dora.

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: i7-8700K@5GHz,ASUS Maximus X Hero, 32GB RAM 3000MHz, MSI Nvidia GTX 1080TI watercooled, Creative SoundBlaster Z, Intel/Samsung M.2 , VKB MCG Pro + Virpil Throttle + Leo Bodnar BU0836(A and X), MFG Crosswind, Logitech G13, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Stream Deck

Nice setup Abburo.

Where did you get the G940 extention from?

Now have the Warthog with the Pedals and Joystick of the G940 as well.

So just need to switch joystick when needed - Warthog for 'playing the piccolo', and FFB for the Pony etc.

Which is actually very easy in DCS as you can set up plane specific setups.

Warthog throttle has more features than the G940 one so that can go back into storage as extraneous (nice tip Aelisug).

Pic of my setup attached.

20140704_204934.jpg.f1c42f46cc4d52c53bed89bb9823bdad.jpg

Cheers

Stuntie

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Those are two great sticks. I used to have a G940, then moved to the Warthog.

I do miss the Force Feedback Effect. However, when i fly with my cats on my knees, it replace it perfectly :) -

My friend who purchased the G940 from me, had reliability issue with it afterward.

I would suggest the Warthog over the G940. The stick don't move, but the stick full metal. It's something when you have it in the hand. You can fly the warthog with the G940, but not as smoothly than the warthog. It is also possible to put it easily between your leg, either by extending the stick, or extending the grip base. (I used PVC pipe with quick disconnect system).

Either way you choose, you'll have good time.

Glad to help, Stuntie.

Ewertsp, I think it's very possible. Here's how the whole thing works: the hall sensor detects a center position based on the orientation of the circular magnet at the end of the stick and the firmware outputs a motor position based on that center. The center position is calibrated out of the factory and barring a reverse-engineering of the firmware, I don't think it can be changed. So you'll have to play with orienting or strengthening the magnet field to keep that center orientation. I don't think the gearing and motor control has any limits per se as long as you keep the hall sensor within it's proper bounds. You don't even have to keep any of the original gimbal mechanism and gearing, and you can probably switch to some bigger motors if you have an electrical engineer look at it.

Only thing keeping such a project from being done is the amount of time that would be required.

Good to hear that. Here where I live, a warthog costs about 1000 bucks so if I can't have someone bringing one to me, a diy stick will be my next one after this t16000m I have dies. I'm pretty clueless about how the ffb algorithms work but I can build everything else using arduino. I guess taking look at the g940 firmware would very helpful. Lets see if I can find it.