Roar of the Merlin - A Brand New Sound Experience

Charly_Owl

I love everything about the North American P-51 Mustang. However, Diveplane found a way for me to like it even more by creating a terrific sound mod. Now, this lovely Merlin engine can roar like never before!

I joined a couple of 71st and ANON6 fellas for a quick fly and we had a total blast. Meet Big Ginger, Injerin, Naked Squirrel, Lucky and Mastiff while we defend a village from Russian infantry, AAA batteries and mean-looking Hinds. We also have a short 2v2 in the Dogs of War server which ended horribly, as is to be expected when I'm out of practice. Also, there is a short bonus clip at the end to help the wait for the upcoming FW 190 Dora, which I will be flying once it releases on August 5th.

Please take note that I will also be flying the Mig-21bis and the F-86F when they release during summertime.

Sound Mod available here:

Diveplane's P-51D TF-51D Audio Production 2.0 + P-51D Weapons

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/716633/

Hey C.O.

Just watch your flight and was wondering what setting/input you use for taking off with a load of bombs. My take-offs are smooth as a baby butt until I try it with a bomb/rocket loadout. Thanks for any advice. TC

Win 10 Pro 64bit | Half X F/T Case | Corsair 1200AT ps | Asus ROG Maximums XIII Extreme | I9 11900K Clocked@4200 | Nepton 240 W/C | 64GB DDR4-3600 Gskill Mem | Asus 3080 gpu/8gb | SB-Z audio | Asus 32" 1440 Monitor | Winwing Super Tauras/Super Libra | Crosswind R/P | Track-ir-5 |

i tryed it with 7zip and it got corrupted try the windows extract all it worked for me

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mods:Diveplane's unofficial soundpack

Specs:

JOYSTICK: Saitek X52 pro

RUDDER: Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

HEAD TRACK: TackIR 5

CPU: AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core 4.7GHz

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970

Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M

RAM: Corsair Dominator 16GB 1866 DDR3

SSD: OCZ RevoDrive3 240GB PCIe

MOBO: Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Hard Drive

PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000W 80+ Bronze

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit OS

diveplane is the man, his sound mods are incredible (F-15 afterburner, A-10C GAU-8 cannon, P-51 Merlin, etc)

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Hey C.O.

Just watch your flight and was wondering what setting/input you use for taking off with a load of bombs. My take-offs are smooth as a baby butt until I try it with a bomb/rocket loadout. Thanks for any advice. TC

Usually I tend to keep the stick slightly back in order to keep the tail wheel locked, but I only start rotation at 110-120 mph. Make sure you are gentle with the stick, or you will just begin to stall out. Your aircraft is heavier, hence make sure you pick up any additional speed you can get. I also tend to take less fuel than I usually would. I tend not to go over 500 pounds overweight, or else I will be in serious trouble.

in regards of the new sound mod....i tried it for two days.well, the engine sound itself is good, but i really dont like that the sound changes dependent on the direction you are looking at.also, while rolling on ground for take off or after a landing...when you take off you can hear the sound of the tires and in the second you lift off, of course the tires sound is gone, but all of a sudden the engine gets twice as loud...what finally made me deactivate the mod again was the sound of the guns.same problem.you can hear as soon as you pull the trigger, that the engine sound gets much lower and gets louder again once you release the gun trigger.

in regards of the new sound mod....i tried it for two days.well, the engine sound itself is good, but i really dont like that the sound changes dependent on the direction you are looking at.also, while rolling on ground for take off or after a landing...when you take off you can hear the sound of the tires and in the second you lift off, of course the tires sound is gone, but all of a sudden the engine gets twice as loud...what finally made me deactivate the mod again was the sound of the guns.same problem.you can hear as soon as you pull the trigger, that the engine sound gets much lower and gets louder again once you release the gun trigger.

Well, while I agree with you, I still think the vanilla sounds lack some "umpf".

Same here. Reverted to stock again.

Low RPM growl in particular is amazing. High RPM sounds sound more as if the engine is running at above 30000 RPM and that tyre sound is way too loud.

The sound change dependent on the position where you're standing should be there, albeit not so different. I like the prop wash sound, but the engine, again IMHO, is off.

The sounds are also louder than stock sounds - not everyone is using other custom sounds and as result they feel unbalanced.

All in all, definitely worth trying and huge step up from the stock lawn mower. :)

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

You're talking about roar of Merlin engines and nowhere in YT video you didn't mention that you use Diveplane mode, at least I have not seen.

Otherwise, I agree with DavedRed. I've also tried Diveplane mod but I went back ED sounds. For me the sound of the engine is too high. I prefer the sound with more bass and during taxiing and take-off and landing at'd like to hear more tiny clinking and tapping, For me the sound of the engine is too high, and biting. I prefer the sound with more bass. During taxiing, take-off and landing I'd like to hear more rattling noise, tapping, perhaps mild creaking when braking. Also I hope to we get enough specific moans and whistler during dive.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Everything is possible ...

You're talking about roar of Merlin engines and nowhere in YT video you didn't mention that you use Diveplane mode, at least I have not seen.

Otherwise, I agree with DavedRed. I've also tried Diveplane mod but I went back ED sounds. For me the sound of the engine is too high. I prefer the sound with more bass and during taxiing and take-off and landing at'd like to hear more tiny clinking and tapping, For me the sound of the engine is too high, and biting. I prefer the sound with more bass. During taxiing, take-off and landing I'd like to hear more rattling noise, tapping, perhaps mild creaking when braking. Also I hope to we get enough specific moans and whistler during dive.

Mentioned at 15:42 and in the very video description, mate...

I think it's pretty "funny" how people complain about a free engine sound mod being all "wrong" when even the sound in vanilla is not to our liking. As if we were entitled to have something someone poured dozens of hours into just for our enjoyment. I'd rather just thank Diveplane for his tremendous effort because at least he's the only one that actually tries.

But, I also think that if the engine clanking could be more pronounced and if we could have more bass, the engine sound could be even better.

And yes, I have to say that A2A has some of the best sound design in the whole flight sim business. :pilotfly:

Edited by Charly_Owl

I think it's pretty "funny" how people complain about a free engine sound mod being all "wrong" when even the sound in vanilla is not to our liking. As if we were entitled to have something someone poured dozens of hours into just for our enjoyment. I'd rather just thank Diveplane for his tremendous effort because at least he's the only one that actually tries.

Seconded. Still, that doesn't mean we can't post our remarks and wish for improvement.

Great as his sound mod is, its unbalanced and needs more work. WIP in my mind, and thus I switched back to the stock lawn mower.

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

I will never go back to stock sounds, especially since having seen a few P-51Ds in real life and they sound EXACTLY like this mod, when you do a flyby. And I just don't get that feeling of shivers down my spine when I fire the brownings in the stock game, however I do with Diveplane's mod and it really brings out the true power of those guns!

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

... they sound EXACTLY like this mod, when you do a flyby.

And thats where the problem lies.

Diveplane's sound mod excels in low RPM grumble and flybys. The time I spend flying and fighting greatly outweighs the time I spend taxiing and watching flybys. Thus I switched back to the stock.

I will consider this sound mod final If Diveplane can fine tune the engine sounds, both cockpit and externals, lowers the volume of the wheels on take off and balances them in combination with stock sounds. Until then IMHO, it is nothing more than great WIP.

Please consider lowering the in-cockpit engine sound.

Quality is superb but volume excessive- I have to turn down master volume to the point where I cannot hear wingmen, etc.

Sound of .50s is a great improvement- thank you :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Remembering Arlie "Jack" Campbell, US Army Air Forces, WWII. Well done dad, rest in peace.

The thought has crossed my mind, but I will do no such thing. I fly other planes next to P-51D and have no intention of constantly messing about my volume controls.

Besides, in cockpit sounds should be slightly muted as to simulate / enable headphone use and radio comms. Stock game features this nicely.

The proplem with the high sounding engine is that the Dopplereffect in DCS is is waaayyy to big.

yes its the sound engine controls this not the sound files, only adjust it so far.

hopefully better effects in newer dx engine.

but over all its a great improvement over the weak stock audios,

and a delight to fly now.

Please consider lowering the in-cockpit engine sound.

Quality is superb but volume excessive- I have to turn down master volume to the point where I cannot hear wingmen, etc.

Sound of .50s is a great improvement- thank you :)

noise cancel settings below

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2107725&postcount=89

had a few people complaining at the noise level in p-51 yes shes a very loud bird.

video here skip to 14min 33 sec mark to hear expert pilot talk about his experience inside the P-51D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBIIhP_eOvE

Edited by diveplane

Mentioned at 15:42 and in the very video description, mate...

But, I also think that if the engine clanking could be more pronounced and if we could have more bass, the engine sound could be even better.

And yes, I have to say that A2A has some of the best sound design in the whole flight sim business. :pilotfly:

more bass can be added on your end with your sound system , all pcs have different setups.

audios have been set with enough low end bass and growl.

its just some don't read the forums enough or research that indeed we can still get a noise cancel system in the cockpit, to lazy to adjust them.

all respects to A2A

imo I have the best sounding flyby audios to date, those are the hardest to create.

:>).. . merlin roar finally captured right.

Edited by diveplane

• 1 month later...

Diveplane. Looking for that P51 Merlin sound pack in the user files, cant find it ? it was there yesterday !

Asus Z87. i7 4770k. 8 GB DDR3 @ 1866 mhz. GTX980ti SC. 120 GB SSD. 1TB Evo SSD. 750W PSU. W7/64. BenQ W1070 Projector. Yamaha RXV 673 AVR, Energy Take 7.1 S.S. 100" screen, serving wench & lap dancing facilities.