Which planes will the Mig-21bis be matched up against in multiplayer?

mjmorrow

MiG-21 with external tanks and R-3S missiles should be a somewhat fair match for Sabres armed with AIM-9B's for dogfighting matches.

In more typical conflicts I imagine it'll be used for airfield defence, intercepting slow planes that can't protect themselves, and taking out ground attack planes. The F-5E and F-4F are modelled in-game and should be a fair match in a dogfight,

F-86 (lol ur 2 posts)

Some type of Sabres and some type of Mig-21 did fight in the real World. Some Sabres were down by Migs and I think at least one Mig-21 was downed by a Sabre.

I will go out on a limb and say F-4 and MiG-23 AI should be a decent fight.

If I get the Mig-21, I will definitely take up your recommended AI.

MiG-21 with external tanks and R-3S missiles should be a somewhat fair match for Sabres armed with AIM-9B's for dogfighting matches.

I was thinking about that. I don't know what would be more fun, to use the Sabre against the Mig-21 or the Mig-21 against the Sabre? I guess that match up would be similar to a Mig-17 vs F4 match up or am I pushing that analogy? On thing that I like about the Sabre is that it is as close as we have to a Mig-17, in game.

In more typical conflicts I imagine it'll be used for airfield defence, intercepting slow planes that can't protect themselves, and taking out ground attack planes. The F-5E and F-4F are modelled in-game and should be a fair match in a dogfight,

I could see myself doing this in multiplayer. I am kind of worried about the F-15, though. Somehow, I think it will be opposition. In that case I would rather face down the Sabre. If the cards have to be extremely stacked, I would prefer it was in my favor. :megalol:

If you get the jump on a player, it doesn't matter what they're in because they will be dead.

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

Well, if the CAP in a MP scenario doesn't work well I guess there will be lots of A-10Cs shot down by MiG-21.

For a halfway fair fight with AI... F-4, F-5, F-86, and hopefully the F-100 will be released as an AI unit until then. A F-16 with AIM-9 only could also work.

Against humans.... Perhaps an F-86, but the MiG will have the advantage. All other planes are either vastly superior of vastly inferior in A2A, I guess.

And of course a pilot that flies alone and/or suffers of a lack of SA will be easy prey, regardless of the plane he is flying. I'm sure we will see lots of YT-Videos of MiG-21s killing F-15s.

Remember that it is not only a matter of quality, but a matter of quantity too.

You can do battle against F15/F16 too, just add more Migs in the air. :)

In MP, the few first day we will have massive fire all around the airport due to missed take-off/landing.

After a few days, everyone will be flying the Mig21, so only a few (uninterrested-by-mig21) F15 drivers against them, So they'll be a LOT of burning F15.

After a few time, it will even a little more and mig 21 will fall from the sky like flies.

Edited by Darkwolf

Thank you all for your opinions and perspectives. I appreciate your contributions to this thread. I also admire the quality of the Mig-21 being delivered by Leatherneck Simulations. Their team will no doubt create many high quality products and I wish their team the best of success, always.

meh you guys have no confidence in your abilities at all, its like riding a bike. I suspect I will take off fine on first attempt and fly the waypoints and come back and land perfectly fine.

thats like ppl saying the F-15 was so much harder with the PFM to land and stuff, yea right either you know what your doing or you don't... if anything the F-15 is easier cause the abundance of thrust you can summon at anytime if you approach stall speed.

helos on the other hand are a different ball game :P

take a su-25 grach or tankovy, A-10A or A-10C out against some MiG-23MLDs and F-4E's and make sure to give them more IR missiles then radar and enjoy a real awesome furball (I suspect the MiG-21 will mop the floor in this situation)

You say fighting other MiG-21. I have a question that has something to do with fighting another AI MiG-21. We all know that ED will integrate the Mig into the DCS world but will they also write the AI tactics or is the AI tactics the same for all aircrafts in this game?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You say fighting other MiG-21. I have a question that has something to do with fighting another AI MiG-21. We all know that ED will integrate the Mig into the DCS world but will they also write the AI tactics or is the AI tactics the same for all aircrafts in this game?

I'd imagine it would be the same, that's what I've thought all this time. Although sometimes in dogfights the "AI" seems to be lacking the "I" part of the acronym. The current tactics they use sometimes make my head spin trying to figure out why they'd do some of the things they do in dogfights.

This post is protected by a pilot who has a serious lack of negotiating skills, but is absolute hell in a dogfight. If you do not belong here, please leave.

You have now been properly negotiated with.

MiG-29S Instant Action Mission Fix

Come check out and add to my list of all landmarks in DCS World!

^that works now

The Sabre may be an interesting matchup, though extremely tough, for the Sabre sim pilot. If the Mig-21 is restricted to K-13s and has no cannon, I think the matchup would be pretty interesting. I think that matchup may be similar to a Mig-17 vs F4 match up. Even then, I think that the Mig-21 has a decided advantage and the Sabre pilot will have to be a virtual master of the Sabre, not to mention an aerial Neo. I could see an elite dogfighter like Josh Echo rocking a Sabre, against a Mig-21. I would probably want to be on the Mig-21 end of such a match up, but I would take the Sabre and just rage quit, when I could not take getting shot down anymore. :megalol:

On the topic of not so fair, I don't think that the F-15 is a great matchup for the Mig-21, because the F-15 can counter everything the Mig-21 can do and can dictate the terms of the fight, from start to finish. Once the F-15 has a tally on the Mig-21, the Mig is Fishbed in a barrel. I still think that persons with little or no F-15 experience will get shot down by the Mig-21.

I think that the Mig-21 will be one of the most rewarding rides in DCS. It is also the case that there will be better rivalries for the Mig-21, coming down the pike. It will certainly take time to appreciate all of the systems and capabilities of the Mig-21, much less to master the Mig-21, so there is no immediate need for a highly competitive rival aircraft. The Mig-21 can be matched against the Mig-21 and this should be good practice for learning something about dealing with future transonic delta wing rivals.

Edited by mjmorrow